Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2 door subwoofers?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 door subwoofers?

Hey all - I know everyone is throwing some real nice systems in the jeeps, but just curious... does anyone have any good subwoofer solutions for 2 door? (other than basslink?) Thanks! Pictures would be awesome
Old 06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed Alpine's PLT-5 LAT Subwoofer in the back of my 2-door, and it R-O-C-K-S! It is a self-enclosed, pre-amped subwoofer and fits nicely laying down behind the rear seat. THe rear door closes fine, and I can store/stack stuff on top of it if needed. It does take up some room, as all subwoofers are going; but it has worked great so far. If I needed to take it out, it is only a few wires to disconnect. It is somewhat heavy, and because I layed it on its side, it has stayed in place with just some velco to the carpet --> even during some pretty jarring off-roading.

I'd put up some photos, but they're on another computer.

Ty....
Old 06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see those PLAT photos!

I just talked myself out of getting a Stealth Pod and loading a JL Audio W3 into it. It seems spec-wise they're made for each other. Money is tight, so I have better things to spend it on.

The stealth pod mounts right to the tail gate, and is completely and easily removable. I haven't seen one in person, but they seem to be a great solution.

I planned on adding a lock to keep honest men honest....
Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, if you get the chance throwing some photos up would be awesome-- Thanks man
Old 06-20-2008, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a sneak peek of what I'm working on. I'll share the complete design when its done, but this is what I'm building for my 2 door. It'll fill the entire back area and will be built in 2 pieces. I have a lot of design work to still do but you get the idea. The storage area in the back will be partitioned for an air tank (which is kinda in the back of the picture being designed as well) and for other gear.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Almost anything works well with the amount of open air space in the Jeeps, I have a JL W3 12" and it sits pointing up behind the back seat. Was a real tight fit with the box for the sub. Had to go with the medium size box needed the extra air space behind the sub. Anyways long story short banged up the tail gate the first couple of times. Im now thinking a 10" would have been better.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

i have seen some pretty cool selfpowered subs that will barely fit under the front seats, forgot the names but probably alpine and kenwood along with a few other smaller brands but i have heard good about them. post pics of what you get, subs can only do so much for your system though
Old 06-21-2008, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
Here's a sneak peek of what I'm working on. I'll share the complete design when its done, but this is what I'm building for my 2 door. It'll fill the entire back area and will be built in 2 pieces. I have a lot of design work to still do but you get the idea. The storage area in the back will be partitioned for an air tank (which is kinda in the back of the picture being designed as well) and for other gear.

Is there a reason youre building the enclosure speaker-out? It would be far more efficient to build the enclosure downfiring...not to mention the weather considerations.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by aero_instability
Is there a reason youre building the enclosure speaker-out? It would be far more efficient to build the enclosure downfiring...not to mention the weather considerations.
I've had many systems over the year and have listened to many systems over the years. Never heard a down firing system I liked. Just causes too much rattle with the ultra low frequencies resonating off the body like that.

The JK is such a poor vehicle for putting a system together, that I figured this would be my best option. Also might turn it around and rear fire. Also considered moving them more behind the seats.

As I said, I really think its impossible to build something that images well in the JK. Best you can do is give it more power and hope the doors don't fly off.

Weather considerations? Don't really see what considerations I need for weather. Don't plan on getting stuck in a downpour.

That all being said, I'm open to suggestion...as I mentioned the design isn't final nor is it complete.

Last edited by JackMac4; 06-23-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

I just started glassing an enclosure, I have an unlimited but it may be the way to go if you're looking to save space.
I'll have a 10" and amp rack all in one and it doesnt require much more space than a stock sub.
when I get it finished I'll take some pics.
Steve

Quick Reply: 2 door subwoofers?