Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2 door subwoofer ideas

Old 01-30-2014, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 door subwoofer ideas

Guys the stock sub box isnt cutting it for me..

2 door 2012 and I'm running Alpine type x fronts, type r in the sound bar and the 8" type R subby in the stock box, all off PDX 9 amp. Box should be the right size for the sub but I just cant get it sounding good at all, low end is really lacking. Rear seats are out so I've got plenty of room to work with, don't just want a big ass box rattling around back there though, storage in my carpark sucks also so something removable isn't necessary.

After ideas for a semi permanent install, thinking maybe 10 or 12", maybe even 2 of them. Might it be possible to work something in where the floor drops off behind the front seats? This would help prevent things constantly sliding down there and put that space to use. Any pics of your own setups would be great!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if you saw this in another thread since I've posted before. Under the front seats works great for sealed 10"s if they are 5.5" or slimmer. I chose Sundown Audio SD-2s but have also built them for 10" Alpine Type R slims, JL 10" shallows, and RF 10" shallows. Enough room for .6 cu ft enclosures takes up no room and completely stealth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1366876381.jpg
Views:	11890
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	527645

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2395909723.jpg
Views:	3504
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	527646
Old 01-30-2014, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Sorry if you saw this in another thread since I've posted before. Under the front seats works great for sealed 10"s if they are 5.5" or slimmer. I chose Sundown Audio SD-2s but have also built them for 10" Alpine Type R slims, JL 10" shallows, and RF 10" shallows. Enough room for .6 cu ft enclosures takes up no room and completely stealth.

Attachment 527645

Attachment 527646

loving the stealth aspect of that setup, especially when the hard tops off, where abouts do you have your amp though? currently my amp and xovers are under the drivers seat, these could probably be better placed.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nevillebartos
loving the stealth aspect of that setup, especially when the hard tops off, where abouts do you have your amp though? currently my amp and xovers are under the drivers seat, these could probably be better placed.
Mine are under my dash. 4 channel in the stock location. One mono amp under steering wheel and one behind glove box. I think you said you are using a PDX9 which is pretty small and should fit up under the dash. Xovers are in the end caps of the dash.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of head unit are you running? I had swapped my dash and sound bar speakers out in November. I installed so kickers I got a decent deal on. Well even with the speaker swap the system did not sound all that great. I picked up a Kicker Comp VR10 and had 2 amps here I planned on installing. Well looking at options to convert from the factory head unit to low level out puts I just broke down and picked up a Pioneer AVH-5600BHS head unit. I will say that I have not gotten around to installing the kicker sub or amps yet but the system all ready sounds 110% better then it had. I have the factory Amp and sub still in the vehicle until my next day off.

I have my passenger seat setting in my basement as I have welded a bracket to it to mount my amp for the sound bar and dash. I will be setting up the driver seat with a bracket to hold the monoblock amp for the sub. The idea behind mounting them up on the seat rails is it keeps them off the floor and out of any possible water that may end up in the floor pan. Just a thought I built a sealed enclosure to put in the location of the stock sub ( my rubi is an 07) I will devise a way to properly secure it at the factory locations.

In short If you have a factory head unit , you will most likely get better sound just by swapping the head unit out.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Do you build/sell these boxes? If so PM me with info. I'm very interested!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nevillebartos
I have my amp mounted in the storage tray underneath the cargo area behind the back seat. Could be an option for you...
Old 02-01-2014, 05:40 PM
JK Junkie

JL Audio SB-J-JK2DR/10W1v3/DG -
Old 02-06-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

The like posted by Hskr4x4 is the sub and enclosure I have and I love it. I have been running is since 2012 in my old Mohave and now it's in my 2014. Looks good and holds up
Well.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Junkie

If you wheel the jeep in areas that get wet/ messy, you might not want subs or an amp under the seats.... Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2480648052.jpg
Views:	2786
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	529244 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1188374107.jpg
Views:	7881
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	529245 Trust me, I've said the same thing you're thinking "I'd NEVER do that to my jeep"... Lol

This was my solution for bass. Small, compact, fairly inconspicuous and plenty of punch. Since it's down firing, you can still stack stuff (groceries, tool bags, spare tires) on top of it without really losing space. Also fits flat on floor behind rear seat if you want. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pyQmFZN...TS-SWX251.html

Last edited by kh202; 02-06-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 2 door subwoofer ideas