Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

'12 Satellite Radio Resets Randomly

Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 Satellite Radio Resets Randomly

Anyone else having this problem? Overnight, or just driving down the road, radio will reset itself. I lose pictures, stuff on hard drive, personal settings for EQ, etc. Starts back up on the SAT but on a channel for an intro. Also, my Daylight and Night Brightness settings have never worked on automatic...

Dealership told me 2 months ago that a software update is due out in September, but I just got back from there today for an oil change and now they say that they have not heard of anything in the way of software updates coming. WTF?

Maybe I should just request a new radio...
Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ds ..happened to me once.....same as u ! All of the settings went back to default and yes also the auto brightness leaves a lot to the imagination...I figured that it was me . So your not alone on this one ..I have the 430
Old 09-28-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dsword
Anyone else having this problem? Overnight, or just driving down the road, radio will reset itself. I lose pictures, stuff on hard drive, personal settings for EQ, etc. Starts back up on the SAT but on a channel for an intro. Also, my Daylight and Night Brightness settings have never worked on automatic...

Dealership told me 2 months ago that a software update is due out in September, but I just got back from there today for an oil change and now they say that they have not heard of anything in the way of software updates coming. WTF?

Maybe I should just request a new radio...
Are your electrical grounds tight?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Grounds tight?

Originally Posted by Jkbama
Are your electrical grounds tight?
Well, I know the battery ground is, and I can look around a bit under the hood and dash to find more to check. In my web search for this issue, I did see that mentioned before, and thanks for the reply. Out of the 5 or so times that it's happened, it was while it was parked in my garage, not hitting bumps in the road, where I would expect a bad connection to show up.

Additionally, the non-functioning 'auto' portion of the auto dimming touch screen isn't explained by a poor ground situation.

Since it's a new Jeep, less than 6000 miles, with an extended warranty, I'm not going to tear the dash apart to check the wiring. If that's the area you're talking about, I believe I better leave that to the dealership....

I'm starting to think I got a lemon SAT radio.

Does anyone have a 430 SAT radio that auto-dims the screen correctly? I'd like to know if there's more to it than just pressing the choice on the screen for auto brightness control. I didn't see anything more to it in the manual for the radio.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 07 Rubicon that has the same issues. The auto dimmer doesn't work and from time to time all that I put on the radios hard drive ie. music and pictures are all erased. This has happened a few times now and I would love to hear what your thoughts are. Subscribed.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I think it's fixed, but...

Time will tell, cuz I couldn't predict when the radio was going to reset. I have the model 730, but they are similar to 430.

The dealership surprised me with a new radio, they got one pretty quickly.

The dimming on auto works as it should.

To wes1585 - one thing I was told to check, and you probably did already, but I did have to check if my dash brightness switch on the directional stalk was set to full brightness. This would keep the radio from working on auto dimming the screen.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started a thread a month or so ago as well for the same issue. Several other people have replied same issue.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsword

To wes1585 - one thing I was told to check, and you probably did already, but I did have to check if my dash brightness switch on the directional stalk was set to full brightness. This would keep the radio from working on auto dimming the screen.
This was the first I have heard of that. I will have to try that out to see if it fixes the issue with the auto dimmer. Also I might go back to the dealership and tell them about the issue with it deleting aeveryrhing I put on it, maybe I will get lucky and get a new radio out if the deal...lol
Old 05-20-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

I'm also randomly have a similar issue. When my radio resets it's only resetting the factory image, radio presets and audio settings (base, mid, treble).

Quick Reply: '12 Satellite Radio Resets Randomly