Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

08 Jeep JK- LED dome light issue

Old 10-01-2019, 12:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Jeep JK- LED dome light issue

Recently decided to put LED dome lights in, fairly straight forward except that the dome lights now are on all the time. The lights will only turn off when the engine is off. Just wanted to see if anyone has had this issue and a fix for it.
Additionally, the bulbs for my front dome lights are the same as the rear light, in all of my 15 minutes of googling I can only seem to find front bulbs made for the new style double bulb front dome light that are still labeled for my year.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Some LEDs, especially cheap ones, just don't play nice with the CANbus and I suspect that is what you are seeing. I tried LEDs long ago in my '13. My buddies with 14's had some and threw a few my way. They worked fine in their '14s, and in my '13 nothing but issues. the rear light was fine, the center light was fine itself....but caused my map lights on the rearview mirror to stay on full time. I ended up just sticking with the factory lights. Did the lights you bought specifically say they were CANbus compatible?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Some LEDs, especially cheap ones, just don't play nice with the CANbus and I suspect that is what you are seeing. I tried LEDs long ago in my '13. My buddies with 14's had some and threw a few my way. They worked fine in their '14s, and in my '13 nothing but issues. the rear light was fine, the center light was fine itself....but caused my map lights on the rearview mirror to stay on full time. I ended up just sticking with the factory lights. Did the lights you bought specifically say they were CANbus compatible?
Yes, I made sure that I got the specific CANbus compatible ones. First from SuperBrightLEDs.come, and then from amazon both sets had the same problem. Both had the same issue, it could be that they were both on the cheaper end.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Kind of surprising then since they specifically said they were compatible. Our CANbus is just weird. I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance. Maybe someone else will chime in.
The following users liked this post:
VTLuke9 (10-01-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible that when you put the fixture back together that you pushed it in turning the light on?

Quick Reply: 08 Jeep JK- LED dome light issue