Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

'07 JK takes awhile to start

Old 09-30-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 JK takes awhile to start

My '07 JK Wrangler seems to have problems starting. It starts every time, however, sometimes it takes a few seconds to actually start. It is not my battery nor is it my starter. I believe it can only be a fuel issue or spark issue. Correct? I bought this JK used three months ago with only 10,500 miles on it from a woman that deployed all the time. Being a 2007, it was obvious the Jeep sat for quite some time. I drive it everyday. This issue is only after is has been driven and warmed up. In the mornings, or after it has been sitting for awhile, I do NOT have this problem. However, after driving around, it will take a bit to crank. Should I change my sparkplugs, etc?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

First thing that popped into my head was spark plugs.. That's a pretty cheap option to try..also, make sure your battey terminals are clean and not corroded.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Same thing happens to my 07 JK...not every time, but maybe once a week or so...
Old 09-30-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the problem is going to be your crank position sensor, it was on mine. Every once in awhile it would just crank and not start, I would stop, try again and it would start.
It's worth looking into, the dealer replaced mine and I haven't had that problem for over 2 years now.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by benny
I believe the problem is going to be your crank position sensor, it was on mine. Every once in awhile it would just crank and not start, I would stop, try again and it would start.
It's worth looking into, the dealer replaced mine and I haven't had that problem for over 2 years now.
The cam position sensor will cause these symptoms, too. The gap can bee too large, or too small, in addition to just being a bad sensor. A bad sensor should set a code, though.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The cam position sensor will cause these symptoms, too. The gap can bee too large, or too small, in addition to just being a bad sensor. A bad sensor should set a code, though.
I believe you are correct, it was the cam position sensor, not the crank sensor, my bad, it's been awhile and too many beers ago. I just noticed that every once in awhile it would just turn over and not start and when I stopped and tried again it would start. Mine did not set off any codes though.
I went into the dealership and asked them if it was possible that the crank pos. sensor was bad and it was the cam sensor. I got lucky because the tech at the dealership had a few come in with the same problem.
They replaced it and all has been well for over 2 years.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine did this when it was new 3 years ago and was fixed under a recall. If you haven't already take it to the dealership and ensure that all applicable recalls have been completed on it.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default thanks

Thank you all that posted. Gave me some helpful info! I will check on recalls and I plan on doing the sparkplugs this coming weekend!

Again, thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default no start

Check battery, too much electrical things need to happen for a good quick start!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default TSB's and Recalls

Here't the TSB for the "Long Crank Time" due to the cam sensor.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-re...-camshaft-gear

And, here's a list of other TSB's and Recalls.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ll-Information

Being that it still has low mileage and that it is an 07, there is a small possibility that it may still be under the original 3yr/36,000 warranty if it were purchased at the end of 07. You should be able to contact a local dealer and have them run your VIN to see if it has any existing warranty or outstanding recalls. I'm pretty sure you can also enter your VIN on Jeep's website and find the info too, but I don't have a link for that.

Quick Reply: '07 JK takes awhile to start