Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Running power wires, and coax etc.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John L
Great find, I used it wiring up my CB the other day. If not for that, I would have had to use where I ran all the rest of my wire through, the unused clutch hole, and that would have meant extended wiring.

Thanks!!!
HGey, got to help somebody.. COOL..!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks worked great fro my fog light wires. EASY!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the pix and tip, Capt'n! I just finished routing mine thru the same way.

Last edited by Dubya; 06-13-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I agree this looks like a much better place to route.

Like I said many a times in clownbaby's thread, I just don't think going through the bottom is a good idea. I know it's working for him but I don't feel good about that location at all.

This is a much much better place to punch through in my opinion - good find!
Old 06-13-2007, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
Yes, I agree this looks like a much better place to route.

Like I said many a times in clownbaby's thread, I just don't think going through the bottom is a good idea. I know it's working for him but I don't feel good about that location at all.

This is a much much better place to punch through in my opinion - good find!
I know you don't feel safe but when you have it shut w/ rubber cement and have a heavy carpet on top of it. Such a little hole will not matter. But hey, I'll let you know in a year or two how it went. Everyone has their own way. That was my way, it worked for me, worked for my friend and a few that have done it to their's. But now people have lots of options. But good luck running 2 gauge wires through that little hole beside the dashboard and door
Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
I know you don't feel safe but when you have it shut w/ rubber cement and have a heavy carpet on top of it. Such a little hole will not matter. But hey, I'll let you know in a year or two how it went. Everyone has their own way. That was my way, it worked for me, worked for my friend and a few that have done it to their's. But now people have lots of options. But good luck running 2 gauge wires through that little hole beside the dashboard and door
Just curious here, why do you need wire that will carry 181 amps into the cab??
Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

I was wondering that myself?????
Old 06-14-2007, 04:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
Yeah, it's nothing personal Clownbaby - its just that I used rubber cement in grade school for art projects - but I think I'll pass on my $28,000 vehicle. Like you said..whatever works and to each his own...

2 gauge seems a bit overkill to me...I think 4 or 8 will suffice just fine.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Running 2 amps. Equal to around 800 RMS watts of power or 1600 watts of peake power. If I went w/ smaller wire, I'd be blowing up the wire.

Jack: Sorry I keep bringing up the rubber cement up. Honestly to tell you. I didn't use any rubber cement. All I did was poke a small hole through it and ran the 2 gauge wire through it. That way it's tight around the wire and makes a perfect seal. But they have heavy duty rubber cement that you can use.
Sorry I kept saying I used rubber cement. I meant to say was, if you must, you can use it.

Also, the reaon for me to use that area is only because my amps are right under my seats so it's very convenient.

I don't know where you get these ideas that Jeeps will leak water and bla bla bla. Unless your Jeep is really old and has really worn out, it's not going to leak any water inside. Unless you took out all the drain plugs and sat in the water for a while. There's just not enough pressure from such a little hole to force water in as you're all thinking.

But when I run smaller wires, for CB, I'll use upper part of the firewall as I've seen other's do.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

But when I run smaller wires, for CB, I'll use upper part of the firewall as I've seen other's do.
Yea...!!!

There still might be a hole somewhere in the actual firewall by the batt.. i just haven't looked that hard for it yet.. There are some taped over sections on mine that might go thru.. But I haven't needed them (yet)

Quick Reply: Running power wires, and coax etc.