Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Kenwood TM-D710A Install (Transceiver & Head Unit)

Old 05-03-2020, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Just an update on the goings on with my radios in the JK.

As I primarily use the 2m band (as opposed to the 70cm band) I have programmed all my local repeaters and simplex frequencies into my Kenwood 3720NX and use my Kenwood D710 for scanning.

For those who are not familiar with the Kenwood 3720NX, it is a commercial radio (think taxi) that covers the whole 2m band - but does not have a VFO. In other words, I had to use the free online programming software to input all the frequencies into the radio via a computer - you cannot input a frequency directly into the radio from the radio itself.
Also, when you want to change a channel (frequency) you need to press a button to cycle through your pre-programmed channels (frequencies). There is another button to cycle through the zones ...

The 3720NX will take a 1,000 programmed frequencies, and it should be mentioned it is quite compact - and built like a tank !

Here is my Kenwood 3720NX

The 3720NX allows your to give each frequency a name, and you can group them into something Kenwood calls 'Zones' - for example, my zone #1 is repeaters, my zone #2 is simplex frequencies, etc, etc. One of my 'zones' is 'favorites' - which is where I spend pretty much all of my time - 2-3 local repeaters + a couple simplex frequencies.

As I mentioned, I now use my D710 to scan the HAM spectrum (the frequencies I can chat on) + all the local emergency channels (fire, S&R, airports, etc) that I cannot talk on.

Seems to be a good combination so far !

Neville

Last edited by Creepy Neville; 05-03-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Creepy Neville

Would you be willing to fab up another set of those brackets? I'd pay of course. I'm over on the island.

Have the same radio and love this installation.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Jester.JKU -

I sent ya a PM ....

Creepy
Old 10-15-2021, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this thread and the installation is top notch.
This is probably the best location for a radio especially if you are mounting an antenna on the cowl. This simpifies the wiring and the installation.
I currently live in an apartment and I don't have the resources to fabricate mounts, but I was able to find off the shelf parts to mount a yaesu 8900 in this same location. I don't think the kenwood would fit without fabrication but the ft8900 will.
I used 2 off the shelf Z brackets and 4 spacers to mount the ft8900 under the dash.

Old 10-21-2021, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great job AugJK !

Yeah, while there is quite a bit of space under that steering wheel column - mounting something takes a bit of ingenuity.

Again - awesome job !

Neville
Old 02-10-2022, 09:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Creepy Neville
Great job AugJK !

Yeah, while there is quite a bit of space under that steering wheel column - mounting something takes a bit of ingenuity.

Again - awesome job !

Neville
Hey Neville, that’s a clean install! I’m newly licensed (KO4WNA) and am trying to install a TM-V71a in the same spot. I don’t have a bender, but can cut/grind/drill if I can find something in the general dimensions / shape. Did you make that bracket from flat stock or did you start with something off the shelf and mod it? Would you mind sharing the dimensions you went with (stand-off from the mounting bolts and width of the cross section?)

73’s

Ron
Old 02-12-2022, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Murdoc319 -

Congratulations on getting licensed - and picking up a great radio !

Hah, hah - you're gonna hear the term sooner than later, so I'm gonna plant the seed now - DMR .....

Kenwood amateur radios are top tier - that being said:

1. I wish the Kenwood Amateur Radio programming software was common between their amateur radios.
2. It would be nice if their Commercial Radio programming software bridged between their single & duel control head setups.

Neither of the above two points would stop me from purchasing their gear - they're just a little more effort in the behinds the scenes stuff.

Re: that mounting bracket specs - send me a PM and I will try to help ya out.

'73

Neville
VA7MGY
Old 02-12-2022, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Creepy Neville
Hey Murdoc319 -

Congratulations on getting licensed - and picking up a great radio !

Hah, hah - you're gonna hear the term sooner than later, so I'm gonna plant the seed now - DMR .....

Kenwood amateur radios are top tier - that being said:

1. I wish the Kenwood Amateur Radio programming software was common between their amateur radios.
2. It would be nice if their Commercial Radio programming software bridged between their single & duel control head setups.

Neither of the above two points would stop me from purchasing their gear - they're just a little more effort in the behinds the scenes stuff.

Re: that mounting bracket specs - send me a PM and I will try to help ya out.

'73

Neville
VA7MGY
Thanks for the info on Kenwood and DMR! Sounds like I have some reading to do .

I cracked open that kickplate today, thinking my factory amp would be off the the outboard side of the hole, but alas, it’s smack where the radio would’ve gone. I’m going to pivot and go for an under seat mount- not as clean, but will be the easiest install right now. Thanks anyway for the offer to help!

Ron
Old 02-13-2022, 12:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Heya Ron -

I mounted both my commercial radios under my passenger seat - the Kenwood NX-5700 / 5800. The install may give you a few ideas ....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...nstall-356674/

Hind sight is 20/20 - if I was to do it all over again, I would mount all three of my radios in box with a rack mount (something that kinda resembles a speaker box but with a hinged plexiglass front panel for access). I would mount the box somewhere behind the back seat out of the way.

This would be wayyyy easier to install and would be easily accessible for the periodic firmware updates.

Neville

Quick Reply: Kenwood TM-D710A Install (Transceiver & Head Unit)