Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Kenwood NX-5700_5800 VHF/UHF Digital Transceiver Install

Old 05-30-2021, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Kenwood NX-5700_5800 VHF/UHF Digital Transceiver Install

'Thought I would share my Kenwood NX-5700B_5800B VHF/UHF Digital Transceiver install with the group.

I also installed a Kenwood KCH-20R Remote Head Unit to control the two decks.

I already have a TM-D710A installed in my truck for the 70cm / 2M bands (and of course, APRS), but I also wanted a radio(s) for:

1. Commercial Trucking Channels / Resource Roads
2. Digital Comms (in this case - DMR and NXDN)
3. Back-up for my D710A

As space is at a premium in a JK, the only real option open to me was to mount the two decks under the passenger seat. The guidelines I gave myself were:

1. The decks had to be off the floor (the jeep that doesn't leak hasn't been made ....)
2. The install had to be invisible / hidden.
3. The decks had to be mounted in such a way so that there was room for air movement - to keep them cool.

My passenger seat is a Mastercraft Baja RS mounted on a modded Corbeau seat bracket.

The first thing I had to do was make a bracket to hold both decks.

Here is the bracket I made next to the factory bracket

The next thing I needed to make was a bracket (or tray, if you like) for holding the decks under the seat.

Here are the two brackets assembled (with the Diplexer mounted in place)

And here is the unit mounted in the passenger side Corbeau seat bracket.

Here are photos of the seat bracket & decks mounted in the truck - I am about 2.5" off the floor, 1" between decks, and have about 1" clearance below the seat.

I used a Kenwood KES-3 External Speaker for this set-up - see install here:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...nstall-355977/

I ran the coax through the hole in the firewall on the passenger side end of the dash - and then to the fender / antenna. This was to keep it away from the power cable which I threaded through an existing hole on the driver's side (the hole for the washer / wiper fluid pipe for the rear window of the hardtop).

I ran the power cables from my SPod, into the cabin and along the inside of my firewall. I then routed the power cables under the center console then out to the passenger seat. I shrink tubed all the wires that ran across the floor to give them a double insulation (standard wire insulation + the shrink tube).

I ran the Head Unit cable from the decks under the carpet and up along the the roll bar to the Kenwood KCH-20R Remote Head.

Super happy with the install and equipment - thanks for looking !

Neville

Last edited by Creepy Neville; 05-31-2021 at 10:09 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Creepy Neville:
Dat (06-04-2021), Jay2013jk (05-31-2021), Niteshooter (05-31-2021), RickC137 (06-02-2021), Sixty4x4 (06-04-2021), Strycnine (09-18-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-31-2021, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Ha, never made the connection that you were in Canada until I saw VE7RPT.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

That installation is a thing of beauty! Nicely done.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks very much, Shawn !

By the way, if there is anyone else using DMR - you can usually find me skulking around these two Brandmeister TG's on the weekend:

Canada BC1 TG # 30271
Canada BC2 TG # 30272

'73
VA7MGY
The following users liked this post:
Strycnine (09-18-2023)
Old 06-04-2021, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hah, hah -

Extra brownie points & kudos if anyone knows the significance of the last 3 letters of my call sign !

Neville .... lol ....
Old 06-06-2021, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Creepy Neville
Hah, hah -

Extra brownie points & kudos if anyone knows the significance of the last 3 letters of my call sign !

Neville .... lol ....
You either have a classic MG Y or you glow in the dark....

73's
Old 06-06-2021, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nuh-uh !

Hah, hah ...

You might not recognize them now - but 109 years ago, those 3 letters where the most well known call sign in the world !

No more clues ...

'Captain' Neville

Lol ....
Old 06-06-2021, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure if most folks would have associated that call sign to the vessel in question.

I did several years ago happen to visit Cape Race light station. A buddy of mine and I were in Newfoundland in my 4X4 so on a whim we drove out to the station. The on duty crew had thought we were out of our minds as that time of year supplies were flow in by helicopter and the drive in was well rather difficult. But what the heck, we flashed out CCG Id's and they welcomed us and gave us a tour of the station along with a cup of tea in the main house where sitting on a table was the radio that received the call from MGY. Think they were just happy to have visitors other than sea gulls.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow - very interesting !

I’m kinda a ship buff (1890’s to 1950).

My grandfather was a Harbour Master in Liverpool, and I spent years as a commercial diver - so I guess our family has salt water in our veins !

Yeah, when I went looking for a call sign, her sisters were all taken, and of course the ‘Lucy’ was gone - I was pretty surprised to see MGY available.

Happy days - Neville
Old 06-08-2021, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

That’s cool!

I guess I’m also a marine buff though living on the Great Lakes keeps me pretty land locked. Sadly almost no shipping these days as everything goes by rail in containers. In the 60’s Toronto harbour was fairly busy with freighters coming over from places as far away as Japan. Growing up I had a poster in my room showing funnel graphics commonly seen on the Great Lakes.

Nice score on the call.

Quick Reply: Kenwood NX-5700_5800 VHF/UHF Digital Transceiver Install