Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Ham license

Old 04-17-2022, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the world of HAM.. I don't use it near as often as I'd like. You got your extra ticket now and that's pretty cool. I never went higher than my General. Always wanted the Extra but never took the time to do it. Everyone situation is different but I'd say in your jeep it would be best to do a 2m/440 rig so you can use the repeater system like what was mentioned above. Also any wheeling with people the power on simplex will be just fine. I never put an HF rig in a vehicle. I'm never in it long enough to really use a radio.

I am struggling if I want to put a radio in my jeep. I'm not sure how much ham is used here on the trails. Some have cb's some have hams and some have gmrs. Makes it tough to decide.

73's
Old 07-19-2022, 09:37 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I know it can be a problem, but thinking about HF set up in the jeep, besides all the bonding that’ll be needed, antenna is my biggest draw back, thinking screwdriver, but they are big and bulky and probably easily broken off-road, also thought about a 102 whip and tuner, heard good and bad about that, I don’t go to off road parks or anywhere a whip would not be allowed.
just a thought for now, but trying to decide.

trying for communication without a repeater, nvis more than likely, 40 miles or less most of the time, not sure how that’ll work out

what kind of HF set ups have any of y’all tried or work?

Last edited by Dat; 07-19-2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:03 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Icom 2730 finally installed, still trying to decide if I’m gonna put in a HF or not
Old 10-29-2022, 07:18 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Now a VE, got recruited into that once i got my extra, my first test session will be November 19
Old 11-01-2022, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The general is really easy to quickly study for and pass if you do it soon after you studied for your tech and have all of that tech info still fresh. The test is so similar.

I started studying for the extra and it was so much different than the first two I’ve put it off, and probably won’t get it to be honest. The general does open up ham radio a lot though, especially on HF.
The following users liked this post:
Dat (01-19-2023)
Old 11-21-2022, 04:54 AM
Dat
JK Freak

My first test session, had one upgrade to extra and one got his tech and said he will be coming back next month for the general
The following users liked this post:
Mark75H (11-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Ham license