Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Cobra Handheld CB

Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra Handheld CB

Hi i just have some questions about the cobra handheld cb radio. im new to the jeep lifestyle and thinking a cb radio will be good for those trips on the trails. i just want to know what you guys think of the handheld cb radio? im new to off roading so i would imagine a cb radio might come in handy. thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

I like mine so far but I've only used it once. I just like the fact that you can hide it. Some people have complained about the life expectancy, but with a warranty I'm not to worried.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By hand held CB, are you referring to the "Walkie Talkie" style like this

If you are considering a true "handheld", you may be disappointed. I bought one and I found it's performance to be dismal. I still use it on occasion when spotting a Jeep through an obstacle or scouting a potnetially ugly line, but the small speaker and small antenna make it's performance pretty poor. No reflection on the quality of the unit, just that CB radio and short little "rubber ducky" antennas don't mix well together.

or are you referring to the Cobra 75 CB?

The 75 requires having a junction box installed into your Jeep, but you can remove the mike portion and stash it in the glove box when you park (or just leave it at home if you like).

I've got a 75, performance is perfectly fine if you tune your antenna properly...but it's nothing special. If I used the CB for anything other than talking to other Jeeps that are relatively close to me on trail rides, I would probably have purchased a more conventional unit that provides more features - but for just communicating on the trail the 75 works just fine and the compact install is a big benefit. I also tend to leave it turned off when I'm not on the trail, so being able to stash the unit in the glovebox or under the seat is a plus.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Walkie Talkie has a place

The walkie Talkie style radio gets a lot of negative comments but they have a use.

They actually work okay for close range stuff (like when you can see the other person) but they will never have the range of a regular CB radio because the antenna is just way too small for the HF frequencies that CB uses. Also the battery use can become a pain, although on some models you can get a car charger. The radios also have a tendency to roll around inside the vehicle.

On the other hand, I've used the portable radios to communicate several miles when I'm out of the car. They can be very handy if you want to give one to a friend that's traveling with you in another vehicle or for use by a spotter.

They are less than $100.00 so you could give one a try and if you decide to get a better radio later then you could keep the handheld as an out of car radio.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest drawback to the hand held is the lack of a noise blanker. I have used them when I have had to be in a rental or loaner wanted to be able to have some ears on the highway.
They are very handy on the trails for spotter use and if you are out of the Jeep and want to hear what is going on and don't have a pa speaker.
The new FRS hand helds are even better for short range comms. Sometimes good for the leader and tailgunner to have a set of those so they can talk without being walked on for good group control.
I have a pair of garmin handhelds that are also gps receivers and can show where you are in relation to the person you are talking to if they also have that type of setup. Gave one to each of my brothers for Christmas several years ago and it is pretty cool to see where each of us is at on the trails when you can't see the others for the trees and embankments.
Just have fun and give various things a try and then decide what you like the best.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi

Don't forget, you also can have an adapter in place of the rubber duckie and hook it up to an external antenna as well. Makes all the difference.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Yeah the walkie talkie style

yeah, i was talking about the walkie talkie style of one. im just looking for my options since i dont go off roading all that much, i think its a good idea, dont you think? thanks for all the replys. im new to the jeep life style and off roading in general.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a walkie type before heading out on the trail, one problem I found was signal strength.

Sometimes I could only hear half the conversation or comments. as in, i could only hear the Jeeps that were close to me, I could not hear the Jeep in the Lead.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you really want an effective handheld, the answer is to get yourself a HAM license and starting running a VHF or UHF handlheld. Even without installing a 50W mobile in your jeep, a little 5 watt VHF handheld will outpefrom any CB or FRS ever manufactured for communication on the trail.

I have one of these:

as my handheld. After experiencing the increase in communications clarity, there's no going back.

The other benefit is that once you've got a HAM license and start adding repeaters into the mix, you've got an incredible ability to get a signal out to other people in your group, or in other groups that are operating anywhere in the same general area.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi

I was walking through Home Depot today and saw they were selling what looked like little FRS handhelds. It said on the package "Up to 35 mile range". I was busy so didn't actually look at them, so I don't know what frequencies they are running.

Quick Reply: Cobra Handheld CB