Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Baofeng GMRS no xmit to FRS radios.

Old 01-21-2023, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baofeng GMRS no xmit to FRS radios.

Trail ride today, I have GMRS and everyone else had FRS. My radios are both Baofengs, a UV-5 and a more expensive BF-9 or whatever the model # is.

Both radios received FRS fine. Neither would transmit to FRS.

I had the correct freqs installed, in both radios and in both A&B in both radios.

The GMRS had no problem transmitting to each other.

Is this some kind of setting or something? I went through the manuals six ways from sunday but no joy.

Thanks,
Darel
Old 06-05-2023, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Answer

You may need to unlock the radio, new BF have FRS blocked due to FCC xmit power restrictions

JUST Google unlock baofeng
IT'S Easy to do
The following 2 users liked this post by WildWeasel:
hutchman (03-25-2024), Jay2013jk (06-06-2023)
Old 01-29-2024, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Darel Did you ever get it working? I know it's been a while since you posted, but I'm still new here and catching up.

Since you didn't state matching the privacy code, my first guess the FRS radios have a privacy code set and you have not matched that (analog or digital) code on your TX. If your RX has no privacy code set, you will hear all the radios on that frequency just fine since your radio is not restricting any input based on freq/code in the signal. I normally have one radio with no RX code set so I can hear if others are using the channel and get the group to move to another before it becomes a problem. You'll need to know the radio brand they are using and what the Code number converts to for the analog(freq)/digital(code). Once matched you should be able to TX/RX with them all just fine. The easiest way is to just have everyone disable they're privacy codes and they should hear you fine. But if you end up in a busy area, you'll hear everyone using that frequency, but that can be good if you want to stay on a quieter channel.

If they want to keep their privacy code, I know some GMRS radios can scan for the code, just set the ch-frequency, have one of the FRS user key-up and talk while you are scanning until it locks in on the code they are using. With my KG1000G once it locks in, I can key-up and set it as my TX code as well to join in quick and easy without needing to do the whole brand code Rosetta stone lookup and manually setting it. I think I can have it auto set the code to RX or RX&TX when I key-up as well, but I've not used it in a while and can't remember all the options off the top of my head.

Last edited by ControlNode; 01-29-2024 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ControlNode
@Darel Did you ever get it working? I know it's been a while since you posted, but I'm still new here and catching up.

Since you didn't state matching the privacy code, my first guess the FRS radios have a privacy code set and you have not matched that (analog or digital) code on your TX. If your RX has no privacy code set, you will hear all the radios on that frequency just fine since your radio is not restricting any input based on freq/code in the signal. I normally have one radio with no RX code set so I can hear if others are using the channel and get the group to move to another before it becomes a problem. You'll need to know the radio brand they are using and what the Code number converts to for the analog(freq)/digital(code). Once matched you should be able to TX/RX with them all just fine. The easiest way is to just have everyone disable they're privacy codes and they should hear you fine. But if you end up in a busy area, you'll hear everyone using that frequency, but that can be good if you want to stay on a quieter channel.

If they want to keep their privacy code, I know some GMRS radios can scan for the code, just set the ch-frequency, have one of the FRS user key-up and talk while you are scanning until it locks in on the code they are using. With my KG1000G once it locks in, I can key-up and set it as my TX code as well to join in quick and easy without needing to do the whole brand code Rosetta stone lookup and manually setting it. I think I can have it auto set the code to RX or RX&TX when I key-up as well, but I've not used it in a while and can't remember all the options off the top of my head.
I actually didn't get the chance to try it again with FRS. I ended up getting a BTech GMRS Pro that seems to work with everything, and the Baofengs work fine with the BTech. I still carry around the Baofengs just to try them but it hasn't come up again. Thanks, though!
Old 01-29-2024, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Darel
I actually didn't get the chance to try it again with FRS. I ended up getting a BTech GMRS Pro that seems to work with everything, and the Baofengs work fine with the BTech. I still carry around the Baofengs just to try them but it hasn't come up again. Thanks, though!
OK, I also have a couple of Baofeng UV-5G radios that are locked into GMRS rules for TX and have not had any issue with them either, just not as auto without the code scan the KG has, but the KG can scan and I can punch them in on the handsets easy enough.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:44 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I believe some baofeng gmrs radios come with pl tones / codes programmed in from the factory, which limits any other radios unless they have the the same tones or codes. I seem to remember something about having to go in and clear the codes
Old 02-06-2024, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dat
I believe some baofeng gmrs radios come with pl tones / codes programmed in from the factory, which limits any other radios unless they have the the same tones or codes. I seem to remember something about having to go in and clear the codes
Transmitting a PL Tone/code doesn't stop radios not set to filter incoming transmissions on the frequency to only the signals with the some PL. In most cases, if you hear their radio(s) and they don't hear you, they have the code set while you don't.

Last edited by ControlNode; 02-07-2024 at 06:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dat (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 08:53 AM
Dat
JK Freak

I’m going to have to do some digging around, there was something about the baofeng not transmitting, my memory is spotty on many things
Old 02-07-2024, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dat
I’m going to have to do some digging around, there was something about the baofeng not transmitting, my memory is spotty on many things
Now I know there are some Baofengs that they have set up, around the time they released their UV-5G, so they cannot transmit on GMRS/FRS frequencies at all because they're not type-certified for it. Those radios can listen to GMRS/FRS without issue, but will not transmit on it.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:35 AM
Dat
JK Freak

That could be what I was thinking, not sure, and I’m not up on baofengs much, some people love them, some can’t stand them, haven’t ever used one myself. A few folks I know like them because they are cheap, if they loose it in the woods or on the river, no problem. I think even on those there was a way around the transmit that was simple, just hold different buttons while power on and it reset things. But then again, I’m trying to rely on memory and google and u tube don’t always steer you in the right direction

Quick Reply: Baofeng GMRS no xmit to FRS radios.