Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

Price Check Please!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price Check Please!

so i was driving my JK and saw a 4 sale YJ. The guy wants 5500 OBO for it. i want a fun woods jeep but dont want to pay a lot for it... it just has to run pretty much and have functional 4x4. it most likely will not be insured (maybe collateral only... maybe) and only be towed to ride trails.

Here are the details:
lots of touchup paint spots
some body rust
driver seat belt will have to be replace
leather seats all torn up
half doors (guy doesnt know if he can find the window though)
NO top
carpet will have to be pulled as it has sat through thelast 6 days of rain downpours and there is about 4inches of green water in the tuband carpet
tires will HAVE to be replaced (completely bald with belts stickin out in someplaces
wheels are chrome w/rust spots and spots in general
114782 miles (who knows how accurate this is though)

The good parts:
He "says" the engine and mechanicals are excellent condition... by that he said it will start right up after three pumps on the gas... thats it

I was thinking of throwing an offer of 1100 out there and haggle up to 1350 max.

i will most likely pull the doors and sell em... same with the back seat which is in decent condition.

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS AND WHAT SHOULD I OFFER BASED ON THE DETAIL I GAVE YOU??? OTHER QUESTIONS I SHOULD ASK?? THANKS!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Default Sorry mods... need an answer quick

i know this is not JK related... but i need to determine if i should pursue a jeep investment asap! thanks in advance and again... i am sorry for posting here. not too many folks visit the TY and YJ section. sorry

"so i was driving my JK and saw a 4 sale YJ. The guy wants 5500 OBO for it. i want a fun woods jeep but dont want to pay a lot for it... it just has to run pretty much and have functional 4x4. it most likely will not be insured (maybe collateral only... maybe) and only be towed to ride trails.

Here are the details:
lots of touchup paint spots
some body rust
driver seat belt will have to be replace
leather seats all torn up
half doors (guy doesnt know if he can find the window though)
NO top
carpet will have to be pulled as it has sat through thelast 6 days of rain downpours and there is about 4inches of green water in the tuband carpet
tires will HAVE to be replaced (completely bald with belts stickin out in someplaces
wheels are chrome w/rust spots and spots in general
114782 miles (who knows how accurate this is though)

The good parts:
He "says" the engine and mechanicals are excellent condition... by that he said it will start right up after three pumps on the gas... thats it

I was thinking of throwing an offer of 1100 out there and haggle up to 1350 max.

i will most likely pull the doors and sell em... same with the back seat which is in decent condition.

WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS AND WHAT SHOULD I OFFER BASED ON THE DETAIL I GAVE YOU??? OTHER QUESTIONS I SHOULD ASK?? THANKS!!!"
Old 07-19-2007, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"investment" sounds like the wrong word...............perhaps "black hole" was the term you were searching for. You can get a pretty decent (good mechanicals, usable tires, not too badly thrashed) YJ around here for 2000-2500.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

The thing sounds trashed. $5500? He must be smoking crack. If it starts, runs, goes forward, and back then I wouldn't offer more than $1000.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it runs, $1000, if it runs and you really want it, $1200, if it runs, you really want it and he will give you a trash bag to put over that wet seat, $1250
Old 07-19-2007, 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait! I missed all the tires are bald, no more then $1000, if he can't at least keep usable tires on it he doesn't deserve any more than that, infact he no longer deserves to own a jeep, just tell him you must, by law confiscate it.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

Yep, if you didn't buy an early Cobra, Vette, or TBird straight off the lot, then investment is always the wrong word for a motor vehicle. Be patient, a reasonable Jeep'll come along. There's a boatload of them out there.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by seer1
Yep, if you didn't buy an early Cobra, Vette, or TBird straight off the lot, then investment is always the wrong word for a motor vehicle. Be patient, a reasonable Jeep'll come along. There's a boatload of them out there.
An '80s model CJ-7 would have been an investment 10 years ago if it was just maintained in it's same condition. I can't believe what people want for them in good condition these days. I don't think the YJ would be the way to go though... You can get a '97 TJ for about $5000 if you look pretty hard. I think you would save money in the long run.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

thanks for all the input guys!! i think... if it runs i will offer him 1000 and see if he bites... like i said, i pretty much just want something to destroy. That way i dont do it to my JK

i wanna bounce off stumps and rocks... roll a couple times... ya know, the fun stuff. and not care.

I have always wanted to restore an old willy... but now is not the time.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

Too much money. Check e-bay, i was poking there today and saw some nice CJ's that were pretty cheap. I'm sure you could find a decent TJ too

Quick Reply: Price Check Please!