Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

I'm looking at purchasing this jeep. Is this rust normal or should I be worried?

Old 02-23-2021, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm looking at purchasing this jeep. Is this rust normal or should I be worried?

All the door hinges look like they have rust on them and that back metal bar has rust on it too. I also have no idea why that back end is faded or something. I'm looking for my first jeep and don't want to make any mistakes when buying one. Any input will help!

Thanks,
Mason
Old 02-23-2021, 11:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Hummmm - ‘not sure you really have anything to worry about re: those points .....

1. The door clasp looks like it has been replaced with some zinc plated aftermarket part.

2. That metal bar at the back looks like it is part of the hitch assembly - and wasn’t rust proofed properly.

3. That faded / dirty area looks like the paint has been covered with some sort of bike rack (or the like) and has just not been washed for a while. Likely a good scrub & wax will get ya back to lookin’ good.

Neville
Old 02-24-2021, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default Reply

Originally Posted by Creepy Neville
Hummmm - ‘not sure you really have anything to worry about re: those points .....

1. The door clasp looks like it has been replaced with some zinc plated aftermarket part.

2. That metal bar at the back looks like it is part of the hitch assembly - and wasn’t rust proofed properly.

3. That faded / dirty area looks like the paint has been covered with some sort of bike rack (or the like) and has just not been washed for a while. Likely a good scrub & wax will get ya back to lookin’ good.

Neville
Ok, thanks! I just didn't know if the guy who owned it before had left it sitting out in the rain with the top off or something else. I didn't know if that would be an issue.

Mason
Old 02-24-2021, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You're looking at a TJ and you'll want to verify the frame is solid where the rear kicks up for the suspension. Any more details on it?
Old 02-24-2021, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You're looking at a TJ and you'll want to verify the frame is solid where the rear kicks up for the suspension. Any more details on it?
Shoot, that's my fault. I thought I posted this in a tj thread. What other details do you want to know? This is at a local dealer near me and I'm supposed to be going to look at it in person on Friday. I just wanted to make sure it was worth my time before I drove 1hr to see it. I do have the history report on it and it looks like it hasn't had any major repairs to it.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

You're a-ok. I'm just interested in details in general- I've had a handful of TJ's and while they were fun, some were more fun than others and I'd recommend those over some of them that I cut my teeth on.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

You're a-ok. I'm just interested in details in general- I've had a handful of TJ's and while they were fun, some were more fun than others and I'd recommend those over some of them that I cut my teeth on.
Oh ok! It's a 4.0 and it's manual 6speed.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

So with the 6 speed you're into a 05-06 which is nice. They split 97-02 and then 03-06. The 4.0 is absolutely the way to go and I've got 233k miles on my 6 speed (same trans, they carried it over to the JK).

Lift, tires, etc? I like to get them as clean and stock as possible. Miles?
Old 02-24-2021, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 406 Likes on 381 Posts

Welcome to JKF... Here is a good video on what to look for and where to look..
The following users liked this post:
Niteshooter (03-20-2021)

Quick Reply: I'm looking at purchasing this jeep. Is this rust normal or should I be worried?