Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

You girls got any mounting ideas that havn't been addressed around here?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03fatboy
1) The question of stashed or mounted was for ARinmyjk, I know you don't have one stashed.
2) This is Texas, there are 2 handguns in every car, CHL not required, plus I don't need no stick'in CHL.
3) A pistol is so you have something while getting to your rifle.
4) Guns are not used strictly for self protection.

I could keep going but thanks for playing

We have lots of coyotes and pigs, both 4 and 2 footed vermin, that we are OK to eradicate by any means.

How to secure to keep honest folks honest, was part of the post.

Many of us have been carrying rifles in out trucks longer than most of those "that don't understand" have been alive.

We don't expect *anyone* on either coast to understand no matter age

To the OP, while your mount is pretty cool, it is also completely illegal to use on a "day to day" basis in the state of Texas. You may want to read up on your laws. Specifically, the Motorist Protection Act. Yes you can carry a weapon in your vehicle without a CCL, but it HAS to be concealed. Yours isn't very concealed........ You may also want to read up on the UCW law or Unlawful Carrying Weapons Law, and the Firearms Owners' Protection Act (which is a federal law)

Fines can be up to 10 years in prison and up to $250,000. Be careful and KNOW your laws!!!

Now, if your just using it for traveling around your land or someones land hunting varmits or hogs, then yes you can and good idea for location.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handguns *have* to be concealed, not so w/long guns, perfectly legal.

See PC 46.02

Just drove back from Tomball, deer hunters paradise around your parts!

Last edited by 03fatboy; 01-10-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Handguns *have* to be concealed, not so w/long guns, perfectly legal.

See PC 46.02

Just drove back from Tomball, deer hunters paradise around your parts!

again.... you may want to read up on the laws...... not trying to start anything, just hate to see someone get in trouble. Law is kinda vague and can be interpreted by each cop differently. Just be careful

and Tomball isn't my deer hunting paradise....
Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Rifles ARE firearms and firearms ARE weapons in Texas. There's no way to get around that.

The majority of the rest of Chapter 46 talks about "handguns" but there are many restrictions on the carrying of "firearms" as well.

Just because they don't use the term "rifle" or "long gun" specifically doesn't mean they are not covered to some extent.

For example, 46.03:

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(

Then goes on to list places like schools, voting areas, government offices, courthouses, airports, racetracks etc.

Doesn't mention rifles by name, but they are most certainly covered as "firearms" and "weapons".

The idea that long guns have little or no restriction in Texas is mostly true, but don't fall into the trap of believing they are not covered at all and we all have free reign to do whatever we want with them. I know of several instances where people have had troubles based on that belief.

That "Disorderly Conduct" thing always sits out there ready to bite you, and it's very tough to define exactly.

(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

Who gets to decide what that means? I'm afraid it might end up being a jury.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Super Stroked
again.... you may want to read up on the laws...... not trying to start anything, just hate to see someone get in trouble. Law is kinda vague and can be interpreted by each cop differently. Just be careful

and Tomball isn't my deer hunting paradise....
20 miles north looked pretty good.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Super Stroked
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Rifles ARE firearms and firearms ARE weapons in Texas. There's no way to get around that.

The majority of the rest of Chapter 46 talks about "handguns" but there are many restrictions on the carrying of "firearms" as well.

Just because they don't use the term "rifle" or "long gun" specifically doesn't mean they are not covered to some extent.

For example, 46.03:

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(

Then goes on to list places like schools, voting areas, government offices, courthouses, airports, racetracks etc.

Doesn't mention rifles by name, but they are most certainly covered as "firearms" and "weapons".

The idea that long guns have little or no restriction in Texas is mostly true, but don't fall into the trap of believing they are not covered at all and we all have free reign to do whatever we want with them. I know of several instances where people have had troubles based on that belief.

That "Disorderly Conduct" thing always sits out there ready to bite you, and it's very tough to define exactly.

(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

Who gets to decide what that means? I'm afraid it might end up being a jury.

All those cites are accurate. Go slinging an AK in hand downtown Dallas and you are gonna get the book thrown at you. Drive through with one in your vehicle is NP. That came from a very close friend and judge.

Know the law, use your head.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

So he quotes actual text from the law, you quote a "friend".... then you tell him to use his head. Your stunning use of logic amazes me once again.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Please keep this thread on topic.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

All those cites are accurate. Go slinging an AK in hand downtown Dallas and you are gonna get the book thrown at you. Drive through with one in your vehicle is NP. That came from a very close friend and judge.

Know the law, use your head.
Originally Posted by Robar
Please keep this thread on topic.

I thought we were.....
Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jason_G
It's your jeep dude, but that looks like something gecko45 would have. I prefer to keep my guns out of sight for a few reasons:
  1. People that are not gun friendly will be scared of it or think you are committing a crime, call police, and you get unnecessarily hassled. Fairly remote chance in Texas, but it can happen.
  2. You get your shit stolen by Joe Thug.
  3. Most important one in my mind: You incense folks that are not gun friendly by basically drawing unnecessary attention to your rifle, further hurting the cause for pro-2nd amendment folks. We need to do all we can to keep a positive image. Rolling around town with an "evil black rifle" in plain sight hardly helps relations. You and I both know it's no different than a hunting rifle or anything else, but shocking people is not the way to win hearts and minds. If you want to enjoy your 2nd amendment rights, please help the rest of us to keep them

Now all of that being said, if you are only going to use this when out in the woods or field, and not when rolling through town with the doors off, then I don't see any problem with it. I just think guns should be out of sight unless needed. Makes things better for everyone.

Just my $.02. To each their own.

Jason
+1 for this . Must conceal at all times in OK which I do and believe is best practice anyway.