Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Wolves

Old 12-08-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolves

I thought this would be worth a watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yxaYMrwG3FI

Last edited by JK jeepin; 12-08-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi

All sportsmen and lovers of wildlife need to get involved with this.....

Even here in Alaska where you would think there would be so much open space that the wolf would not be a problem. Nothing could me further from the truth. I personally have seen what happens when wolf and bear populations go unchecked. Understand that I love the wolf. It has it's place like any other animal, and indeed, when kept in balance, can keep the big game herds healthy. But, like any other animal, wolves AND bears need to be managed just like any other animal that becomes a problem.

The state of AK has been fighting with the Feds for years over this. As a result nothing much has been done to regulate these predators. Now our moose, caribou, and sheep populations are hurting. We as conservationists need to take this into our own hands and DEMAND predators be regulated. If not, be prepared to see your favorite big game hunting areas go barren. Go to the site and do your part...!!!

If it can happen here in AK., imagine what it can do in the lower 48.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JK jeepin
I thought this would be worth a watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yxaYMrwG3FI
Judging by the response here on the forum, like most people, they don't take it as a serious threat.

So do nothing and find out.....

The hard way....
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
All sportsmen and lovers of wildlife need to get involved with this.....

Even here in Alaska where you would think there would be so much open space that the wolf would not be a problem. Nothing could me further from the truth. I personally have seen what happens when wolf and bear populations go unchecked. Understand that I love the wolf. It has it's place like any other animal, and indeed, when kept in balance, can keep the big game herds healthy. But, like any other animal, wolves AND bears need to be managed just like any other animal that becomes a problem.

The state of AK has been fighting with the Feds for years over this. As a result nothing much has been done to regulate these predators. Now our moose, caribou, and sheep populations are hurting. We as conservationists need to take this into our own hands and DEMAND predators be regulated. If not, be prepared to see your favorite big game hunting areas go barren. Go to the site and do your part...!!!

If it can happen here in AK., imagine what it can do in the lower 48.
Well said DaveI feel the same
Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Judging by the response here on the forum, like most people, they don't take it as a serious threat.

So do nothing and find out.....

The hard way....
Hopefully something will be done soon, before it's to late
Old 12-10-2011, 09:34 PM
JK Jedi

Interesting video. I have a few honest questions, so please don't take it like I'm bashing hunting because I'm not at all against hunting and/or wildlife management. I'm trying to educate myself on this issue, not start a fight. Wasn't there a time when wolves ran free in North America? Weren't there plenty of moose and elk and deer at the same time? What is the difference now? Why is it that the wolves will decimate game populations now but they didn't do so a couple of hundred years ago? Is it simply a matter of there being less prey now so we have to make sure there are proportionally less predators?
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's people who don't know how to build a fence to protect livestock. They don't care about the animals in the wild, just the money they loose when their animals are killed.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:35 AM
JK Newbie

I signed... thanks for sharing!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Unforgivable
It's people who don't know how to build a fence to protect livestock. They don't care about the animals in the wild, just the money they loose when their animals are killed.
I don't think fences are effective against wolves....
Old 12-11-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for sharing I signed it
Old 12-11-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Sharkey
Interesting video. I have a few honest questions, so please don't take it like I'm bashing hunting because I'm not at all against hunting and/or wildlife management. I'm trying to educate myself on this issue, not start a fight. Wasn't there a time when wolves ran free in North America? Weren't there plenty of moose and elk and deer at the same time? What is the difference now? Why is it that the wolves will decimate game populations now but they didn't do so a couple of hundred years ago? Is it simply a matter of there being less prey now so we have to make sure there are proportionally less predators?
Wolves still run free in No. America. But the fact is that back then they were hunted/trapped by early settlers and native peoples to keep the wolf/game populations (somewhat) in balance. For instance, the native Alaskans will not tolerate a large pack of wolves to totally decimate their local moose herd. They live a subsistence lifestyle and their lives are on the line if they can't fill the freezer. So if they see the moose population dwindling they kill more wolves. It's just common sense. This has been going on for eons. But now special interests groups that don't know what they are talking about, rely on people's emotions, and know that they won't look at the REAL science, so they get these people behind them. And of course most of these people are against hunting of ANY kind.

This is NO different than whitetail deer management in the eastern lower 48. Even with almost unlimited hunting, some states can barely keep the deer population in check. Imagine what would happen if they decided to stop the hunting altogether?

Might I also mention how the hog populations in the south are virtually OUT of control, and growing exponentially. They are causing massive destruction to huge tracts of farmland, and it seems man is loosing the battle against them.

The fact is that people hear and see whats going on with the deer and the hogs. You can eat these animals so they don't mind them being managed. You don't eat wolves. People don't really "see" what the wolves are doing. And when they do it's usually from an anti hunting/control media. Of course it has become "unfashionable" or "politically incorrect" to where fur on your body as well. So all most people see is that "they", the evil hunters, are killing what they deem not that much unlike their own pet dogs, and they won't have that. What the wolf is really doing does not play into their emotions.