Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Winchester 30-30

Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winchester 30-30

Hi guys. Just got my first rifle. Found a nice Win 30-30...pre 1964 and in really good shape. The action is immaculate and there is very little surface discoloration on the barrel. Its obviously been well taken care of but there is some surface wear. The owner tells me that I don't need to blue it but I'd like to in order to restore it a bit. Can I do that?? Appreciate your advice.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can do one of a few things. You can get a do-it-yourself blueing kit, but on a pre 64 winchester, I do believe that is a sin ...or you can have it sent into a number of different companies who will strip/re-blue the whole gun like it came out of the factory! (if you cant tell that one gets my vote!)

EDIT: And so I dont get flamed, I just re-blued my winchester model 12 with a do-it-yourself kit and although it looks decent, it is no where near as good as a true bluing job!

Last edited by An0maly; 11-15-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JulianK
Hi guys. Just got my first rifle. Found a nice Win 30-30...pre 1964 and in really good shape. The action is immaculate and there is very little surface discoloration on the barrel. Its obviously been well taken care of but there is some surface wear. The owner tells me that I don't need to blue it but I'd like to in order to restore it a bit. Can I do that?? Appreciate your advice.
if you ever plan on this firearm holding its value then I would suggest that you do NOT have this gun reblued. from a collectors stand point it will drop the value of the firearm. however, if you aren't planning on keeping it as a collectors piece and will be using it (which is a sin in my book) then go on ahead and get it reblued. of course, if the rifle is in 70% or less condition then you wont be seeing much difference in degradation by having it done. there aren't a whole lot of those left and every year they get harder to find in original condition.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Actually I was planning on using it....although probably not too much use, the original plan was to take it deer hunting occasionally. However if bluing it will ruin the value, I can certainly hold off. FYi..Just doing a quick look up on the SN, this one was made in the early-mid 40's. I'm absolutely thrilled with it but I do want something I can use instead of just sitting in my cabinet.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

It won't ruin the value but it will drop the value for a collector. If you happen to come across someone else though that plans on using it then they will be more likely to pay more for one with a good blue job. If you want it blued and you want to keep as much value as possible then have winchester do it. The original manuf doing the job drops the loss by a bit. Just have them send you a letter back stating that they are the ones who did it
Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imrahil

if you ever plan on this firearm holding its value then I would suggest that you do NOT have this gun reblued. from a collectors stand point it will drop the value of the firearm. however, if you aren't planning on keeping it as a collectors piece and will be using it (which is a sin in my book) then go on ahead and get it reblued. of course, if the rifle is in 70% or less condition then you wont be seeing much difference in degradation by having it done. there aren't a whole lot of those left and every year they get harder to find in original condition.
HA! A gun isn't good for nothin without scratches on the barrel and moose notches in the stock. It would be a sin to NOT use this gun as it was designed. Fuck value. It's a great deer gun that has probably shot plenty already. Go get some more.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

If your gonna refinish it ... get it parkerized or duracoated ... that would look Bad azz .
Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

There were several thousands of Model 94's made prior to 1964. Most of those models were just plain rifles, with no exceptional collectors value.

If you have a rarer version, such as a true saddle ring (beware of fakes), or a rifle that has a specific history that can be verified, then you might want to consider leaving it alone.

If it is just a regular 94, then go ahead and do what you want with it, its value is only what someone else will pay you for it.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ghost63
its value is only what someone else will pay you for it.
This is true of all things not just firearms, including my Dakotas and Fuchs. While there are some that are much more collectible than others, all of them will be worth a pretty penny soon enough. Take for example the much loved and abused 10/22. People are paying a fair price ($700-$1000) for 10/22s without warnings on the barrel or for the finger grooves. These things were originally selling for $30-$40 and could be bought at any store including hardware stores and pharmacies in some areas. Mass production does not always translate into a drop in collectors value. In 10-15 years any 94 in his production range will be worth a good little bit.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Imrahil
loved and abused 10/22. People are paying a fair price ($700-$1000) for 10/22s without warnings on the barrel or for the finger grooves. These things were originally selling for $30-$40 and could be bought at any store including hardware stores and pharmacies in some areas.
Indeed.....my Dad paid $54. for my 10/22 that he bought me when I was a kid. He bought it at a Montgomery Ward store. It's still all original. Guess mine must be worth a few bucks too.

Quick Reply: Winchester 30-30