Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Why You Should Carry a Firearm Everyday

Old 04-10-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benmar2000
Yeah.. They are debating College campus carry here in South Carolina also.. And the wait times are pretty intense for here as well.. It took me exactly 62 days to get my permit but I have heard the wait times are now 90+ days..

Not sure how it is in Texas, but here in SC, once you get your CCL and you want to buy a new gun.. All you have to do is show your CCL to a gun dealer, fill out the paperwork and you are done.. No calls or waiting period for a firearm purchase.. ..

It used to be 90 days, now it is expected to take about 120 days.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I conceal carry. And I agree 100% with Black08X the, OP. I carry everywhere I can legally, and in some instances wish I could carry anyway. Only time I don't have my pistol with me is when I am at the firestation. And believe you me there are times I WANT my gun with me....guess I'll just hafta settle with a good ol' pickhead axe in those dire moments.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to defend yourself, your family, friends. HELL the person standing next to you at the mall, just minding their own business just like you if some nut starts shooting.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

i think the comment regarding the distance of 20 ft references the "tueller drill" or at least the same concept.

basically stated, that an attacker with a knife (or similar weapon) at 7 yards can close the distance and present an attack (stab, etc) in about the same time as someone standing (with hands by their sides) with a holstered gun. add in the effects that a charging assailant can have on nerves and dexterity, and things can get pretty interesting....
Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
Hey GadgetFreak. If you're even considering getting your CCL go ahead and do it. The wait time is insane right now. I got mine almost 2 years ago and it took 2 months for them to process it. I'm hearing 6-8 months now.

Surprisingly I have had very few times/places where I could not carry. Schools, 51% establishments, courthouses, federal bldgs, professional sporting events, racetracks, and hospitals are pretty much it. Most businesses dont post 30.06 signs. They post unlicensed carry signs but those don't apply to TX CCL. There was something passed in Sept 2007 that allows unlicensed persons to carry in their car as long as they are "traveling". It is now the LEO's burden to prove the person isn't "traveling". Also, you can carry on your person as long as you are going between your home, car, gun range, gun shop, etc. Again, the burden of proof is on the LEO to prove that you aren't. Basically the Sept 2007 change just made your vehicle an extension of your home.

I believe the college campus carry issue is being debated right now. I haven't been following closely but I know this was on the agenda for this session.
Actually in Texas an unlicensed person can carry concealed in their car. they do not have to be traveling. The extension of home is for that exact reason. Before the law went into effect you had to be crossing several counties to carry legally in your car.

In regards to his other question about how is a ccl any diferent is that with ccl, you can leave your car with your gun on your hip and go virtually anywhere you want...except the stated locations in other posts.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
Actually in Texas an unlicensed person can carry concealed in their car. they do not have to be traveling. The extension of home is for that exact reason. Before the law went into effect you had to be crossing several counties to carry legally in your car.

In regards to his other question about how is a ccl any diferent is that with ccl, you can leave your car with your gun on your hip and go virtually anywhere you want...except the stated locations in other posts.
Right but if a person is "traveling" 46.02 does not apply.

And actually, you can carry your gun on your hip without a CCL. According to 46.02, you just have to be "en route" to either your vehicle or your home. But you didn't hear that from me.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't we solve this once and for all and just outlaw harming people?

Then we wouldn't have to worry about being harmed!!
Old 04-16-2009, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

alas, I'm not allowed a weapon on base unless it's issued me en route of duty, which they won't do here. but this is a training base. once I get to my actual duty station I'll find out the lay of the land.

but I personally would carry in any situation legal for me to do so. Since I was a kid I always carried a knife. I absolutely believe in self defense and the defense of others. were I armed in a situation where someone is "going nuts" I wouldn't hesitate to draw and fire if my military issued regulations were met. Only allowed to use deadly force if someone is threatening the life of myself or others, if my involvement in the issue won't (to too much of a degree) increase the risk of innocents, or in the protection of national security and only if all other means have been exhausted (subduing tools such as taser guns and pepper spray that guards are often issued are expected to be used before firing). You'll never see me discondonning weapons and firearms.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ClaytonT
Why don't we solve this once and for all and just outlaw harming people?

Then we wouldn't have to worry about being harmed!!
we already have laws against that
Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by tkob1060
I agree that they should gather intelligence but waiting hours and doing nothing except maybe trying to talk is just ridiculous Period. The officer in NC is being treated as a hero, he didnt have Any local backup coming, he was ONE officer working that night in a small town of 1800 people.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4837676/

You are absolutely right, if they had that info they would have approached differently. It's a real shame they died because of the dispatchers stupidity.

Agree 1000% with that.
honestly, I'm not sure the cops would have handled things that much differently. They knew going in it was a domestic call.

of course. I would really like tro hear the tape 911 call before I bash the dispatcher or the Police.

As a dispatcher, I can say people say really stupid things when you ask if theres guns or weapons on the house. Its hard to say what the lady told the dispatcher, maybe she said yes theres guns in the house, but they are locked up..

I dont trust the media for accurate information
Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I carry a gun, because a cop is to heavy. Or the other all time favorite. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Quick Reply: Why You Should Carry a Firearm Everyday