Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Why You Should Carry a Firearm Everyday

Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't carry a gun, but I respect the rights of those who wish to do so. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my cell-phone... I can't imagine trying to keep tabs on a loaded gun. I'd probably accidentally leave it on some park bench or on the table at Denny's. I've thought from time to time about carrying when I'm out alone in the backcountry... but I have no desire to carry in the city. Then again, I'm one of those crazy guys that crosses the street without full body armor, even though people are killed by cars on a daily basis. Guess I just live life on the edge!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kennesaw, GA

A friend of mine (who's also pro-gun) loves to cite Kennesaw, GA, as proof that gun ownership should not only be encouraged, but mandated. Supposedly they saw an 89% decrease in residential burglary after passing their law that homeowners (except mentally-disturbed, conscientious objectors, etc.) must own a firearm and ammunition...

Now compare that against the stats of a town that passes a law that PROHIBITS firearm possession. 'Nuff said.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi

Mandatory gun ownership is just as lame as banning guns outright. I'm all for the rights of the people who want to protect themselves... but I'm just as much for the rights of people who choose to live without guns in their homes.

I'll also add that, going back at least 4 generations, nobody in my family has ever kept a gun in their home (including my WWII vet Grandad) and they are all either still alive or have died from natural causes.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just to play devils advovate for a second....

Aren't alot of theses shootings at schools(high schools/colleges), gov. buildings(not sure if this NY shooting was considered a gov bldg?), churches, etc. How would carrying everyday help me if I am not allowed to carry in these situations?

I am seriously considering getting my ccl in TX. We have a small family business so carrying at work is not an issue. I know there are situations I would want to be carrying daily but the question I always come back to....if I cant carry in the places I may most likely need to is there a huge benefit? The way I understand the law in TX is that I can carry in my vehicle at all times, but not on my person when I am in businesses, etc. Not much different than the ccw permit would allow.

Just curious for those who do carry what's your take?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GadgetFreek

Aren't alot of theses shootings at schools(high schools/colleges), gov. buildings(not sure if this NY shooting was considered a gov bldg?), churches, etc. How would carrying everyday help me if I am not allowed to carry in these situations?

I am seriously considering getting my ccl in TX. We have a small family business so carrying at work is not an issue. I know there are situations I would want to be carrying daily but the question I always come back to....if I cant carry in the places I may most likely need to is there a huge benefit? The way I understand the law in TX is that I can carry in my vehicle at all times, but not on my person when I am in businesses, etc. Not much different than the ccw permit would allow.

In Texas we are not allowed to carry in schools, gov't buildings, hospital's, professional sporting events, and any place that posts a 30.06 sign. Now, that sounds like alot but in reality there are very few times you will have to dis-arm before entering a building. Just stay out of the post office and DMV and you will be set lol. You said yourself "there are situations I would want to be carrying daily" nothings stopping you. True, with the new laws you can carry in your vehicle (concealed), and that's great in my opinion. However time in your vehicle is probably only a small portion of your day. What about the rest of your time?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pagoda
I agree with you in principle. If one of the current US citizens that was working in Binghampton at the time had a carry permit, its possible the carnage could have been minimized greatly, if they choose to act at all.

Police and SWAT trained persons are taught not to go into a hostile situation till 'intelligence' gathering and such is received. Running into an unknown situation is usually against policy - as its believed if you go in unprepared, you will not be an asset to the situation, but another casualty. That officer who prevented to rest from getting killed, by shooting the gunman in the nursing home saved lives and is a hero. I would venture to bet he got his ass reamed by his bosses for doing that though. I hope I would do the same if I was needed to when I was on the street....
You are exactly right on the police response. In the Pittsburgh shootings, the dispatcher never told the responding officers that the guy had guns even though his mother said so on the phone. If that info had been relayed, they would most likely be alive today.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a speech on this a couple weeks ago. I read a few books and found some interesting facts. I found the in GB and Canada robberies are 5 times more likely to happen as opposed to robberies in the USA. Also note that GB and Canada have very strict gun possession laws and the US doesn't (for the most part).

Notice the correlation? Responsible people don't shoot people.

Most anti-gun advocates oppose guns because criminals get them. As a matter of fact banning guns doesn't prevents more decent people from getting guns than it prevents criminals. Anti-gun people... you are pointing the wrong way. Stop illegal firearm sales... not legal firearm sales.

Just my .02
Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pagoda
I agree with you in principle. If one of the current US citizens that was working in Binghampton at the time had a carry permit, its possible the carnage could have been minimized greatly, if they choose to act at all.

Police and SWAT trained persons are taught not to go into a hostile situation till 'intelligence' gathering and such is received. Running into an unknown situation is usually against policy - as its believed if you go in unprepared, you will not be an asset to the situation, but another casualty. That officer who prevented to rest from getting killed, by shooting the gunman in the nursing home saved lives and is a hero. I would venture to bet he got his ass reamed by his bosses for doing that though. I hope I would do the same if I was needed to when I was on the street....
I agree that they should gather intelligence but waiting hours and doing nothing except maybe trying to talk is just ridiculous Period. The officer in NC is being treated as a hero, he didnt have Any local backup coming, he was ONE officer working that night in a small town of 1800 people.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4837676/

Originally Posted by SmokeShowin
You are exactly right on the police response. In the Pittsburgh shootings, the dispatcher never told the responding officers that the guy had guns even though his mother said so on the phone. If that info had been relayed, they would most likely be alive today.
You are absolutely right, if they had that info they would have approached differently. It's a real shame they died because of the dispatchers stupidity.

Originally Posted by 4x4jkx
Most anti-gun advocates oppose guns because criminals get them. As a matter of fact banning guns doesn't prevents more decent people from getting guns than it prevents criminals. Anti-gun people... you are pointing the wrong way. Stop illegal firearm sales... not legal firearm sales.

Just my .02
Agree 1000% with that.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GadgetFreek

Hey GadgetFreak. If you're even considering getting your CCL go ahead and do it. The wait time is insane right now. I got mine almost 2 years ago and it took 2 months for them to process it. I'm hearing 6-8 months now.

Surprisingly I have had very few times/places where I could not carry. Schools, 51% establishments, courthouses, federal bldgs, professional sporting events, racetracks, and hospitals are pretty much it. Most businesses dont post 30.06 signs. They post unlicensed carry signs but those don't apply to TX CCL. There was something passed in Sept 2007 that allows unlicensed persons to carry in their car as long as they are "traveling". It is now the LEO's burden to prove the person isn't "traveling". Also, you can carry on your person as long as you are going between your home, car, gun range, gun shop, etc. Again, the burden of proof is on the LEO to prove that you aren't. Basically the Sept 2007 change just made your vehicle an extension of your home.

I believe the college campus carry issue is being debated right now. I haven't been following closely but I know this was on the agenda for this session.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by benmar2000
Yeah.. They are debating College campus carry here in South Carolina also.. And the wait times are pretty intense for here as well.. It took me exactly 62 days to get my permit but I have heard the wait times are now 90+ days..

Not sure how it is in Texas, but here in SC, once you get your CCL and you want to buy a new gun.. All you have to do is show your CCL to a gun dealer, fill out the paperwork and you are done.. No calls or waiting period for a firearm purchase.. ..
Ah, yes. I failed to mention that. It's the same in TX. No calls or waiting periods for CCL holders. This is a huge benefit.

Quick Reply: Why You Should Carry a Firearm Everyday