Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Why You Should Carry a Firearm Everyday

Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Offroadme
its so hard to get your carry in NY and i can't go driving around with my AR or my AK in the back of the jeep and if your not trained in close quarter shooting your odds on hitting someone who knows what they are doing are not that good. most gun wheeling morons that run around and shoot people are not trained killers they are morons with screws lose

i am totally for everyone having a gun. no one should be without it. the moth quals was just off the top of my head i would say every 6 months would be fare.

and i agree 1050% An armed society is a polite society".
It's is not that hard to get a CCW in NY, only on Long Island and in NYC is it difficult. I live in upstate NY and both my wife, son, and myself have our CCW permits, my daughter is already planning to send her application in the minute she turns 21 this winter. It is just a matter of taking a pistol safety course then filling out an application and having four character references fill out a questionaire and send it back. Takes several months for the permit to be okayed, but it isn't that hard to get one. The monthly qual is not realistic, even the police only qualify yearly and a good share of them never shoot except for their qualifying. Most of my friends with permits shoot a lot, our family shoots weekly at our local range. I agree with the original post though, you never know where some nut case will show up shooting and the police will not get there in time to save your butt, it's up to you to be prepared and save your own skin.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only problem I have, if everyone started carrying handguns, is the mentality of the person holding the gun. Not everyone has common sense and can remember to follow the CCW laws that go along with it. In addition, if majority of the people did carry, how do you think your local law enforcement is going to act when they pull you over or dealing with Joe Public? Being a Police Officer is a highly stressful enough job already. With all of the cars that they pull over, there is a small percentage that have handguns in the car. Now lets increase that by 200% so now that every 1 in 3 cars has a gun. How is it going to make that Officer feel? I'm a strong gun owner. I support gun control. But IMHO, if this is going to be a reality we need to enforce the law we have and provide a harder testing for CCW permits. I choose not to carry and be a responsible gun owner. I'll get off the soap box. lol.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pygeum
The only problem I have, if everyone started carrying handguns, is the mentality of the person holding the gun. Not everyone has common sense and can remember to follow the CCW laws that go along with it. In addition, if majority of the people did carry, how do you think your local law enforcement is going to act when they pull you over or dealing with Joe Public? Being a Police Officer is a highly stressful enough job already. With all of the cars that they pull over, there is a small percentage that have handguns in the car. Now lets increase that by 200% so now that every 1 in 3 cars has a gun. How is it going to make that Officer feel? I'm a strong gun owner. I support gun control. But IMHO, if this is going to be a reality we need to enforce the law we have and provide a harder testing for CCW permits. I choose not to carry and be a responsible gun owner. I'll get off the soap box. lol.
1. You're right about everyone not having common sense but following that logic why are you not also in favor of removing about half of all drivers from the streets. I've been driving for just over 20 years now and I used to work in a police records division where we read the actual statements written by people who had been in car accidents. I can tell you with absolute certainty that there are plenty of people out there in traffic that don't have the smarts for it. But they passed the driving test at some point and they are out there behind the wheel of a multi-thousand pound missile that can do a hell of a lot more damage than any hand gun will. Why isn't anyone upset about that?

2. As for law enforcement reaction to the concept of more people having a CCW. Police Officers are trained to approach any vehicle as though the occupants are armed. Any scene they go on they are trained to expect that some or all of the parties involved are armed. It is a concept that is strongly emphasised in their yearly training. They always assume that anyone they are dealing with is armed so increasing the amount of CCW carriers is not going to change the way law enforcement reacts to the community at large one bit.

Last edited by Black08X; 04-08-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

I'm just wondering where do some of you work that your employer allows you to carry a weapon without violating any kind of policy resulting in immediate termination. Only time I carry is when I off road. I live in a Mexico border state...too crazy out here not to be armed when off-roading...but take a gun with you to work? That will just result in chaos and endanger more lives than it will protect...no one ever seems to think about where those bullets go when you miss...
Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKinmarana
I'm just wondering where do some of you work that your employer allows you to carry a weapon without violating any kind of policy resulting in immediate termination. Only time I carry is when I off road. I live in a Mexico border state...too crazy out here not to be armed when off-roading...but take a gun with you to work? That will just result in chaos and endanger more lives than it will protect...no one ever seems to think about where those bullets go when you miss...
While it may be a violation of company policy, it's not illegal. I'd rather get fired for protecting myself than play by the rules and be dead. I, like most CCW holders, carry evereywhere I go. Just remember the only gun you can't live without is the one you don't have when you need it.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I completely agree. I carry EVERYWHERE except government buildings and schools. I have been a licensed CCW and FFL in Georgia for over twenty five years.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKinmarana

I work in a hydraulic hose shop, concealed carry here is ENCOURAGED, in fact my employer would let me carry open if I wanted to. We have not had any major issues in the 5 years that I've been here (knock on wood), but we get a few "weird" people walking through the door every now and then. Last year we had a few thefts of our stainless scrap, caught them twice, they never knew I was armed. When it comes to stray rounds you are absoultly correct, when that bullet leaves the barrel you are responsible for it. However, with that said I feel a whole lot better knowing that I can shoot back if something goes down. I refuse to be a fish in the barrel. "Better to have and not need than to need and not have.".
Old 04-09-2009, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black08X
I'm sure all of us have seen the news coverage about the man who killed 13 innocent people in Bhingamton NY. Yesterday they released the police radio traffic to the media and in the course of the response the responding incident commander stated "no one goes in that building alone." In fact as we know now it was some time later before the police entered the building and found the shooter dead of a self inflicted wound. I'm not down on the police method here, that's the way it is. They secure the perimeter of a scene and make sure surrounding citizens are safe first. That takes time. The same thing happened during the Columbine shooting. They cordoned off the school and got as many students away as they could before they went in, by which time of course it was all over. This is pretty much the standard response when some nutjob goes off the deep end and starts shooting inside a building.

The point I'm making here is this. If you find yourself in such a situation you can rest assured of one thing. The police aren't coming to protect you, at least not in a reasonable amount of time as to think you'll live long enough to see them. If you're trapped in a office buidling or a shopping mall or any other sort of public structure with a crazed gunman who is killing at random it seems to me that it's pretty much up to you to defend yourself. If you can manage to escepe and get clear of the danger that is absolutely what you should do. But what if you can't? You know that outside the police are going to be busy getting the perimeter locked down and moving those who could get to the exits away from the building. Then they'll stage while they form a plan. All of this takes time. Precious time that you don't have while a gunman is stalking about and killing people where you are. I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I'm not going out like that. I'll defend myself.
+ 1000

By the time the cops are called, something has already happened and it's usually too late.
With the economy taking a nose dive, people are getting more desperate which leads to an increase in violent crimes like we are seeing.
My CCW class here in SC was 8 hours of instruction and a scored shooting test.
Some states issue CCW permits to people without requiring ANY class or shooting test and I can't say I agree with that but that's another topic.

I say carry and carry responsibly, be proficient with your weapon for your sake and the sake of people around you.
You may never need to use it but if you need to use it just one time it may save your life, your family members life, or maybe even someone here's life.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

X10

I hold a CWP and carry everyday, everywhere. Work, play, whatever. Hell, some days I carry two! (three if you count the .357 Mag in the Heep) Of course I don't carry in the prohibited locations, schools, gov buildings, bars, etc...
Old 04-09-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Its a shame that with all the training Police, specially Swat teams receive that all they do is wait in these situations. Look what happen in Pittsburgh, they let their OWN Officers lay there and bleed for hours before going into rescue them. Then you have the situation in NC where there was a guy that went into a nursing home and started shooting people killed 8, it was a real small town, one officer on duty, he responded went in and shot the guy and STOPPED him from killing more. After Columbine happened there was all this talk of training and NOT waiting to go in but it hasn't changed.
I agree with you in principle. If one of the current US citizens that was working in Binghampton at the time had a carry permit, its possible the carnage could have been minimized greatly, if they choose to act at all.

Police and SWAT trained persons are taught not to go into a hostile situation till 'intelligence' gathering and such is received. Running into an unknown situation is usually against policy - as its believed if you go in unprepared, you will not be an asset to the situation, but another casualty. That officer who prevented to rest from getting killed, by shooting the gunman in the nursing home saved lives and is a hero. I would venture to bet he got his ass reamed by his bosses for doing that though. I hope I would do the same if I was needed to when I was on the street....

Quick Reply: Why You Should Carry a Firearm Everyday