Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Why we hunt Coyotes

Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why we hunt Coyotes

found this on another forum ,Check out this picture show....coyotes can bring down a large buck just like wolves...........http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/ji...2&rid=25354701 Post pics of your coyotes!!!!

Last edited by JK jeepin; 12-17-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	408.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	250985 Every year , when time allow's, I try to do my part to help the deer with a little predator hunting. I nailed this one @ 300 yards with my .22-250
Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi

Right on!!! That 22-250 is one hell of a round...

Friday night at our Christmas party, we were just talking about how we felt a pack of yotes could bring down a moose calf like wolves can. Granted that if the cow is nearby they would have a hard time of it, but I still fell they can ad do it.........probably more often than we think.

Heard one howl probably not 200 yds from the house the other morning when I went out to start the jeep. Found a lot tracks this year while moose hunting near hear too. Hope to get out after them soon.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 12-18-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an annual statewide tournament each February in Pennsylvania. A club puts it on. I'll let you know if my group helps out with the population control!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Here's a couple of mine

Here's a write up I did on another forum about three years ago on why I predator hunt....
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.co...=&fromsearch=1

Last edited by Boomy; 12-18-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Right on!!! That 22-250 is one hell of a round...

Friday night at our Christmas party, we were just talking about how we felt a pack of yotes could bring down a moose calf like wolves can. Granted that if the cow is nearby they would have a hard time of it, but I still fell they can ad do it.........probably more often than we think.

Heard one howl probably not 200 yds from the house the other morning when I went out to start the jeep. Found a lot tracks this year while moose hunting near hear too. Hope to get out after them soon.
yea, I love the 22-250 for coyotes and bob cats; It's like a .223 on steriods I always lean towards the magnum type rounds with alot of powder behind them..... for the long shots. Good luck predator hunting!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ClaytonT
There's an annual statewide tournament each February in Pennsylvania. A club puts it on. I'll let you know if my group helps out with the population control!
I've heard of such tournaments not in SoCal?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Boomy
Here's a couple of mine

Here's a write up I did on another forum about three years ago on why I predator hunt....
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.co...=&fromsearch=1
Nice pic's , thanks for sharein. I read your story as well. Very good, my heart dose the same 0-100... rather you see them running in from a couple hundred yards or yelping back from the brush.Predator huntin is deffiantly a challange. But there is nothing like outsmarting one and getting them to come in to your call. And one that hasn't done it wouldn't realize everything that has to be perfect in order to be successful.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK jeepin
I've heard of such tournaments not in SoCal?
A hunt club puts it on for a weekend each Feb. $10 to enter. You weigh the kills at the club, the three heaviest payout pretty good sums, and everybody that shoots one gets a share of what's left.

And JK Jeepin is right about things being perfect. I haven't shot one yet. I was almost in the right spot at almost the right time last year. We were just getting set up when a bunch of them started yipping all around us. We ended up just spooking them off.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi

Just found out today that a couple guys not far from my place have done pretty good snaring some yotes. One guy has got 5 and his buddy 4. We plan on going out and trying some calling soon. But if that don't work out I may have to try some snares myself....

Quick Reply: Why we hunt Coyotes