Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

What Glock?

Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Bud, but a 5.5 trigger pull is a typical single action pull, not a double action. WHen I had my double action only GLock, the trigger pull was about 9-10 pounds.

Originally Posted by Imrahil
I appreciate being quoted but I believe you have a few facts backwards.

Glocks have a 5.5 pound trigger pull that is the same on every trigger pull. It is not a Single Action firearm, it is a striker fired pistol. Since it is striker fired it has a long trigger pull. It is also the most carried firearm by law enforcement.

Edit: If you buy a New York compliant Glock it will come with an 8 pound trigger and the NY Plus will come with a 11 pound pull. Their competition trigger weighs in at 3.5 pounds.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whichever connector you have in your Glock pistol will determine what the trigger pull is.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

True, but for a home defense gun I wouldnt recommend any trigger pull less than 9-10 pouneds. Envision this scenerio, your sweating, heart is pounding, adrenaline rushing through you veins, your family's life if in your hands, you grab your gun and you shoot your dog as your aquiring your target because you need to act so fact. A double action only pistol is one that only fires when you want it to. A lot less mistakes occur.

Originally Posted by SWAMP RAT
Whichever connector you have in your Glock pistol will determine what the trigger pull is.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming many of us know the difference between single action pistols and double action pistols.

For those that don't: Single Action and Double Action has nothing to do with the trigger pull weight.

A double action pistol cocks the hammer and hits the firing pin in one trigger pull. (Like some Sig Pistols and Beretta 92s and revolvers) (coincidentally these triggers can also typically be around 10 lbs, mainly for safety). Some double action pistols will keep the hammer back after the first shot. At this point all future shots are Single Action.
A single action pistol, the trigger only releases the hammer which has to be cocked prior. (1911s & the Old Colt revolvers)

This is totally independent of trigger pull weight.

I had recently heard some firearms experts refer to glocks, springfield xds & S&W M&Ps as "Constant Action" pistols because there is no hammer, yet the trigger pull is consistent every time.

In the Old Days glocks were available with heavy triggers because the NY police department was switching from Revolvers to Glocks so they put heavier triggers to replicate the revolver double action pull weight as closely as possible.

AND if you really want to, you can still order the heavy spring configuration today.

Last edited by thedrod; 05-04-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

It would make sense to refer to a GLock as a "Constant Action" because it doesnt have a hammer that cocks. You are correct when you say for semiauotos that have no hammer, trigger pull weight is independant of the type of action it is. When looking at the sig 2022 or 226, which is a gun I would recommend as a backup to a shot gun for home protection, it has a decocker. The trigger pull weight on a double action sig is a lot heavier than when its in single action.
Originally Posted by thedrod
I'm assuming many of us know the difference between single action pistols and double action pistols.

For those that don't: Single Action and Double Action has nothing to do with the trigger pull weight.

A double action pistol cocks the hammer and hits the firing pin in one trigger pull. (Like some Sig Pistols and Beretta 92s and revolvers) (coincidentally these triggers can also typically be around 10 lbs, mainly for safety). Some double action pistols will keep the hammer back after the first shot. At this point all future shots are Single Action.
A single action pistol, the trigger only releases the hammer which has to be cocked prior. (1911s & the Old Colt revolvers)

This is totally independent of trigger pull weight.

I had recently heard some firearms experts refer to glocks, springfields & S&W M&Ps as "Constant Action" pistols because there is no hammer, yet the trigger pull is consistent every time.

In the Old Days glocks were available with heavy triggers because the NY police department was switching from Revolvers to Glocks so they put heavier triggers to replicate the revolver double action pull weight as closely as possible.

AND if you really want to, you can still order the heavy spring configuration today.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by powrsurg
Sorry Bud, but a 5.5 trigger pull is a typical single action pull, not a double action. WHen I had my double action only GLock, the trigger pull was about 9-10 pounds.
What I am saying is that the Glock is NOT Double Action. They have never made a true DAO firearm, it is a hybrid of sense with just a heavier link system, or lighter.

Yes, you are right. Most single actions will fall in the 4.5-6.5 pound range. Honestly though I can't say that I have ever seen someone with an unintentional discharge from a Glock. There is a reason for it being carried by more law enforcement then any other pistol in the world.

But it is all just opinions. What works for me (and the guys that I worked with) does not mean that it will work for you. My own carry gun is a Springfield TRP Operator, and that is only because I like SAO and the 1911 is one of the few firearms that will fit my hand properly.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

It would make sense to refer to a GLock as a "Constant Action" because it doesnt have a hammer that cocks. You are correct when you say for semiauotos that have no hammer, trigger pull weight is independant of the type of action it is. When looking at the sig 2022 or 226, which is a gun I would recommend as a backup to a shot gun for home protection, it has a decocker. The trigger pull weight on a double action sig is a lot heavier than when its in single action.
I have a Sig P220. I bought it for that very reason. The first pull is saying "Do You really really want to do this?" and every pull after that is "let her rip."

I would have to advise anybody to be careful what you buy with Sig because they also offer "Constant Action" trigger groups on their popular pistols. I believe they refer to it as "DAK."
Old 05-04-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Sorry Man,
I did misword when I had indicated a GLock came in a double action. IT doent and never did. Its just the trigger weight that is being adjusted. I dont have expeirence with any other PD's but the NYPD requires all duty weapons to be either double action in the case of the Smith and Wesson if thats the one you choose or a heavier trigger if you go the route of the GLock. As far as accidental discharge isconcerned, I have ahard time seeing it happen when the trigger pull is 10 pounds but can see it occuring when the pull is much less, like in the case of a single action revolver or any other gun that has a light pull. We are good.

Originally Posted by Imrahil
What I am saying is that the Glock is NOT Double Action. They have never made a true DAO firearm, it is a hybrid of sense with just a heavier link system, or lighter.

Yes, you are right. Most single actions will fall in the 4.5-6.5 pound range. Honestly though I can't say that I have ever seen someone with an unintentional discharge from a Glock. There is a reason for it being carried by more law enforcement then any other pistol in the world.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

True, but for a home defense gun I wouldnt recommend any trigger pull less than 9-10 pouneds. Envision this scenerio, your sweating, heart is pounding, adrenaline rushing through you veins, your family's life if in your hands, you grab your gun and you shoot your dog as your aquiring your target because you need to act so fact. A double action only pistol is one that only fires when you want it to. A lot less mistakes occur.
I would totally disagree with you about wanting a heavy trigger pull. If you obey rule #1 (keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire) you shouldn't have to worry about whether or not you want your gun to fire. Second a heavier trigger pull produce poor results (more misses). If you think that I'm wrong on the fact that a heavier trigger pull doesn't help out with your accuricy just look at the compition shooters, their trigger pulls can be as light as 2.5 lbs.

the reason Glock pistols even have the option of the NY1 (8 lbs) and NY2 (11 lbs) trigger pulls is because when the NYPD started buying Glock pistols they were transitioning from S&W revlovers which had around a 9 lbs trigger pull. The regular line officer with the NYPD complained that the trigger pull wasn't stiff enough for them. The NYPD told Glock that they need a stiffer trigger pull or they would cancle their order and when you order 40,000 pistols you get what you want. Glock came out with the NY1 first and the said it was better and but not good enough and so the NY2 came about.

Also the Glock is a double action pistol because the trigger both cocks and releases the striker which makes it a double action pistol. your Sig, Beretta and others are double action/ single action meaning that when the hammer is down the trigger can be pulled and it will cock the hammer and release it both but after the gun fires the slide cocks the hammer and then the trigger only is releasing the hammer from then on making it a single action pistol.

Oh yeah that heart pounding, adrenaline rushing scenario you were discribing, been there done that and had some one step in front of me and stil could let off the trigger on my Glock and avoided shooting the wrong person. My Glock has a 5.5 lbs trigger pull.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

It's all about the safety between your ears and knowing the gun

Quick Reply: What Glock?