Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

What Glock?

Old 11-11-2011, 02:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Home defense. Get a shot gun. Recommend you look at the Remington Police Magnum. What the cops keep in there patrol cars around me.

With that said I carry a Glock 19. As another poster said if you need 16 rounds then you have a big problem - no matter the situation.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dlud51
I am in the market for a home defense weapon and have narrowed my search down to 3 weapons, all Glocks, the 17, 21, or 22 (wish I could have ALL 3!). My question is which one would you guys/ girls suggest for my first hand gun? Also, what is a fair price each weapon, I'm interested in Gen. 4 with night sites. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Like was said before for home defense get a pump shotgun with buck shot. It is by far the most lethal close combat weapon system to date. The ability to put up to 9 .32cal rounds on target per shot wins. Handguns are defensive systems for easy carry hence why us cops wear them on the belt. However if I'm going into a fight I'll always grab the 870 or AR. If you have to get a handgun go with the .45cal. The .40 has a snap and can be tricky to learn. It is basically a politically correct 10mm slightly heavier than the 9mm but not the lead found in the 45. The 9mm is a good round but I've personally seen a guy take 6 rounds and keep wanting to fight. In this era of body armor you want a hard hitting round to at least get pain compliance that's why I'm no longer a fan of 9mm and below.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dude I have a Gen 4 Glock 17 and love it!!! It eats up everything, no problems with about 700 rounds through it. The 17 + 1 mag capacity is awesome for home defense and you can get a 33 round mag if you choose. I love the 9mm because the ammo is cheap and I can shoot more for less cost. If I could afford it I would get a .45 but I like to shoot a lot. If you do get a 9mm just get a good hollow point defense round, theres many different brands and styles out there so just research them and choose the round that you think is best. I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 GR.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lived in a "bad" area I had a 10 gauge leaning on my night stand and a 45 in the drawer.

When someone broke into my house it was the 45 I had pressed against his forehead..

Nothing beats stopping power. Bigger is better for putting people down. A shotgun is scary.

HOWEVER I will say that more bullets is a good thing for an average guy. Because when you are scarred out of your mind and the adrenaline has you shaking like a leaf you might miss with the first nine and might not have an extra clip in your underware.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gray Man
No offense, but this is a major fallacy in a lot of people's thought process and indicates an unfamiliarity with defensive situations. I've done this for a living in the past and if I could conveniently carry 300 rounds, I'd do so.

When bad shit goes down, the situations are very dynamic and can involve more than one bad guy. The day of the lone mugger standing around in a dark alley is pretty much over. The people who want to take what's yours and are willing to hurt or kill you in the process are often traveling in packs. They know that there is strength in numbers and they try to stack the deck in their favor.

Modern combative pistol training teaches to put as many rounds on target as necessary to end the fight. Many instructors teach the theory of "non traditional response" which means not using single shots, but groups of multiple shots, in quick succession, placed as accurately as possible. If a person is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting more... as the cutesy sayings go.

My choice of home defense weapon is not a handgun, anyway. While one is most certainly always within reach, my "Oh shit, someone's breaking into the house!" gun is a short barrel AR15 style carbine (10.5" bbl) and minimalist kit (light, optic, done) and a spare magazine. I'm not answering a bump in the night with 16 rds of 9mm, I'm answering with 60rds of screaming hot death in case there's more than one of them and they refuse to go down easily.

My family depends on my ability to defend them.
I bet your house and your neighbors house would look like swiss cheese after firing 60 rounds. No offense but if you really are a Home Defense Instructor, Millitary or Law Enforcement as it seems you said in your second sentence you should feel confident enough to not need 60 rounds of .223 to take care of your problems. As stated earlier AR 's are not ideal home protection because the .223 round is a high velocity round and can travel through 4+ walls. Under the Castle Law you will be liable for all the damage done. The only thing the castle law does is protect you from going to jail for murder if the burgalr

Though you are right that most burgalrys are no longer a single person it is on average a 2-3 people and having to take down multiple targets with multiple rounds is very realistic and I thank you for pointing that out. Usually it takes 3-4 9mm rounds to incapacitate a person and 2-3 rounds of 40 or 45cal to incapacitate a person and the rounds if missed usually go threw 3 walls max. So we'll say worst case senario is 4 very determined people and you have to put 4 9mm rounds in each bad guy which is 16 rounds not counting any misses which depends on shooter abillity and situation conditions.This is where a shotgun wins 1 round per bad guy and less chance of missing.and a home defense shotguns usually hold 5+1 rounds. The rounds dont go threw more than 2 walls and everyone knows the sound of racking a round and usually scares them away.

My vote is a Remington 870 express with the 18" barrel they come with either 5 or 7 round magazines and are under $400 or a Remington 870 tactical and there around the $450-$500
But if you still want a Glock go with the 21 they run between $500 to $600 depending on options

Last edited by Lolapalooza; 11-11-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Glock 21, and a Remington 870.

Nothing better for price and reliability.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for all your responses. I am now even more torn, the shotgun is a definite for home defense however like mentioned in another similar thread I have a petite fiance and would like her to feel comfortable using the weapon I choose as well. When funds become more "plentiful" I plan on expanding my gun options, however right now I am looking for something that both myself and fiance can use both as home defense & at the range for practice. I spoke with a friend who is an Army Ranger and he suggested the 22, but that's coming from a highly trained individual that has fired 1000's of rounds through the weapon. I am not new to handguns and have been shooting for several years, I've just never owned my own handgun.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

If you are a noob (sounds like it) you NEED TO TAKE A CLASS! Get a shotgun, load the first round with a beanbag!!!!!! Most home shootings are of family or friends.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

There have been stories of people getting shot 8-9 times with a 9mm before they stopped and still loving.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

A shotgun with bird shot loads is highly effective at in-home ranges and will not penetrate 2 layers of Sheetrock with sufficient energy to penetrate flesh.

I keep an 1187 SPP loaded with 3 rounds of #4 shot and followed by 4 rounds of #4 buckshot.

Quick Reply: What Glock?