Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Went to the Dark Side...The Black Rifle

Old 04-19-2009, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new purchase!

You can eliminate picking a favorite amongst your armory by assigning times or other specifics to each firearm. Like this:

At 0900, my favorite is my .308
At 0901, my favorite is my .45
At 0902, my favorite is my AR...

This will solve your dilemma about picking a favorite, but might induce more purchases to fill in some time slots!!

Also, congrats on some father & son shooting time.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yetibear
Aren't you worried some big dude will step on him?

That's funny!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RiSK
ANY school would be cool with me, and I would quite literally kill off some of the competition if it meant I could get into small arms C school, but I wouldn't mind doing mk 45 C school, svtt, or VLS. I love my rate, can't wait to get out to the fleet, but it seems orders are being put on hold. now one's getting them any more, and by the norm I should have had mine a while ago. I'm about to finish school in just a couple weeks and it may only be to go on hold for awhile waiting for orders. oh well, I guess. I'll just save up more money for the down payment of my JK, :p
Well congrats to you anyway for picking the best Rate in the Nav! But , I'm still somewhat upset at the Nav for their focus on CBT for A school now. My son had a hard time at A school but, his C School in Dam Neck went real good for him since they are structured like A school used to be (with cool old Chief's and 1st's to teach and help you along).

If you go small arms, try to get an SBU out of Little Creek or Coronado. That's where all the fun is, in Riverine Warfare! Best advice I can give is the smaller the boat the better!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

sweet rifle now you have to start to modify that baby.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcperry2000
You need to get you some Magpul PMAGs to go with the new rifle. Do a google search on them. There's torture test videos and the PMAGs are simply the best there is.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Yesterday I took that, the AK and my Garand to the range. The M-4 however reaffirmed my distrust of the Black Rifle.

120 rounds, 6 jams. They seemed to be short cycles and cleared up when the weapon cooled.

Really bizarre, almost like the hammer would not cycle/cock even by manually cycling the bolt. It's not a feed issue or ammo issue (used M885 penetrator at 62 Grain and regular M193 ball all 55 grain). Everything seems fine in the gas tube-bolt interface so I'm puzzled???

Of course, Uncle Mikhail's Rifle worked and cycle every time even after getting hot from rapid fire.

I like the gun but, if it ever came to having to trust my life to one rifle it would still be an AK or M1 Garand.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bsack
I thought it was penis size. Gotta get my mind out of the gutter
if its only 5" it wouldnt be dragiing in the gutter.

when my mind is in the gutter, it isnt thinking about penis size.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by rnjstel
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Yesterday I took that, the AK and my Garand to the range. The M-4 however reaffirmed my distrust of the Black Rifle.

120 rounds, 6 jams. They seemed to be short cycles and cleared up when the weapon cooled.

Really bizarre, almost like the hammer would not cycle/cock even by manually cycling the bolt. It's not a feed issue or ammo issue (used M885 penetrator at 62 Grain and regular M193 ball all 55 grain). Everything seems fine in the gas tube-bolt interface so I'm puzzled???

Of course, Uncle Mikhail's Rifle worked and cycle every time even after getting hot from rapid fire.

I like the gun but, if it ever came to having to trust my life to one rifle it would still be an AK or M1 Garand.

I carried an M4 for a long time. mine was rather worn(it wasnt new issue to me, it was new used built from pieces/parts by some friends at the armory, so where it all came from or how old all the pieces where is anyones guess), so it seemed to work and function a little more reliably than some of the newer ones, my guess would be loosened tolerances helped it, it didnt gum or foul as quickly. It did, just not as fast. As much as i did like it, i have to admit, it wouldnt be my first choice. Having used an HK G3 variant, the short/collapsable stock version of that would be my first choice, second AK or any of the various names making it, then the M4.

I prefer a good Remmie 700 over anything though; but not the greatest for the zombie hordes *L*
Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, that is just not right. If it was short cycling it should work when you run the charging handle. Do all the simple things as you clean it, strip the bolt and carrier, check that the everything is properly staked, check that none of the gas rings are broken or missing. Really clean the firing pin and its raceway. Look for tiny burrs. Eyeball everything on the bolt carrier group for obvious miss alignments. Really just go real slow, put the parts together and hand operate each subassembly, feel for binding, look for real slight variances, and do this on each step of the reassembly of the upper. Spend a little extra time playing with the charging handle, with and with out the BCG. Look hard for burrs and milling flotsam that may prevent the bolt from complete cycling. Then do the lower, as far as you feel comfortable. Really examine the trigger group, look for little slivers that could get wedged in there. With only 120 rounds thru it look for any signs of wear, even the stuff that looks normal, at this point deserves closer examination, it could be a potential binding spot.
I'm sure you have already done all that, probably several times, but it never hurts to be reminded to really search out those grain of sand type things.
Nothing more disappointing than a new gun that refuses to run, and doesn't show an obvious malfunction. The only real clue you have is, to my knowledge, short cycling could be ruled out because of the failure of your attempts to manually charge the gun.

I really wish I could offer some real help, but alas, I am just a lowly hobbyist, not even a qualified Armorer, let alone a real gunsmith.

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I carried an M4 for a long time. mine was rather worn(it wasnt new issue to me, it was new used built from pieces/parts by some friends at the armory, so where it all came from or how old all the pieces where is anyones guess), so it seemed to work and function a little more reliably than some of the newer ones, my guess would be loosened tolerances helped it, it didnt gum or foul as quickly. It did, just not as fast. As much as i did like it, i have to admit, it wouldnt be my first choice. Having used an HK G3 variant, the short/collapsable stock version of that would be my first choice, second AK or any of the various names making it, then the M4.

I prefer a good Remmie 700 over anything though; but not the greatest for the zombie hordes *L*
Man, I hated that HK collapsable stock. I yanked that damn torture rack off and replaced it with an old CMTE wood stock, that wood looks good on a 91.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by yetibear
Man, I hated that HK collapsable stock. I yanked that damn torture rack off and replaced it with an old CMTE wood stock, that wood looks good on a 91.
Really? I liked it, better than the M4 one by far, fit better for me , but I agree with wood loking good, i prefer wood stocks for looks om most weapons. I have a mannlicher stock CZ550 that i think is just beautiful

my current ar is a bushy xm15. i have never had a jam issue with it, just firing boring old federal 55 ball.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a beautiful AK!!! What is it? A Polytech? Want to sell it?

Quick Reply: Went to the Dark Side...The Black Rifle