Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Went to the Dark Side...The Black Rifle

Old 04-17-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to the Dark Side...The Black Rifle

Let me preface this by admitting the inherent hatred I carried for many years to the AR-15/M-16.

I guess cause I'm ex-Navy from the 80's and we held out with the M-14. As a kid, my Dad had an Armalite AR-180 (Stoner's other rifle very similar) but, always believed that real "battle rifles" had to be greater than 6mm. My feeling was the AR/M-16 was being shoved down our throats, which was beyond wrong for Naval service.

So, my personal rifle collection for Military arms has always centered around Garands, Com-Blockers, M1A, 303 Brit, Mauser's, FN/FAL, etc.

Anyway, 20 years later and my own Son is home on leave since his ship returned from the Persian Gulf. He extols the virtues of the AR/M-16, to where I go on my tirade about "When Men were Men and Sheep were Scared" over the M-14. So I go to a good local Gun Shop where heck, ok I buy the M4.

I got to tell you, I like it, really like.
Well we go to range, I bring my Garand and he brings the M4. Jumping from the M1 to the M4 is a trip! After 40 rounds through the M1, I was about numb anyway but man what a light tight rifle. I blast through about a 60 rounds switch left and right handed and still kept a good group.

Now.... The Title Match and how does it stack up against the AK?

First off the AR is way more comfortable in the shoulder. I don't know if its the nature of the M4 stock but, its more "ergonomic"

The AK has a feel of a Battle Axe where the AR is more like a light Rapier Sword. The weight of the guns themselves is not that much different, only about a 1 and 1/2 pounds. Very interesting how "different" they feel.

Once the Ammo is added, that is where the huge weight difference comes into play.

90 rounds 7.62x39 vs 90 rounds 5.56

The 7.62 is almost 4lbs more for 90 rounds. That is allot when you think about it and you have to carry it.

Which is my favorite now??? I don't know as I have way more trigger time with the Klash than the M-4. But, I do dig the M-4!

But, If I had to pick one for the Zombie Horde it would be the AK. Field Stripping and Cleaning is way simpler and easier on the AK.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default nice

those ak rounds look big....they must both be a blast to shoot.....
Old 04-18-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

field stripping the AK is easier? you've got to be kidding me

I mean, I figured nothing could be simpler than the M16a3 (I was just trained on the field stripping of it this last week, lol) and it practically falls apart. two essentially buttons, poke and prod here and there and it's fully disassembled.

the only thing easier to my knowledge is the M9 (9 mm barreta) which does much the same thing but with only one button and a lever.

I have an sks at home, and it's great fun to shoot the 7.62 round, I'll agree. I've never field stripped it, and just how far the similarities to the ak goes.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

you could kill the shit out of everything with that. good stuff.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RiSK
field stripping the AK is easier? you've got to be kidding me

I mean, I figured nothing could be simpler than the M16a3 (I was just trained on the field stripping of it this last week, lol) and it practically falls apart. two essentially buttons, poke and prod here and there and it's fully disassembled.

the only thing easier to my knowledge is the M9 (9 mm barreta) which does much the same thing but with only one button and a lever.

I have an sks at home, and it's great fun to shoot the 7.62 round, I'll agree. I've never field stripped it, and just how far the similarities to the ak goes.

The AK by leaps and bounds is easier. You can clean it with some twigs, leaves and whatever you have at hand.

Off topic but, I see your at the Lakes. What C school are you trying to go for after A School?

My son is a VLS GM right now but, there is a huge shortage of 5 inch guys in the Fleet. Back 20 years ago I was a GMG (where the used to be a difference between GMG and GMM)

Good luck at the Lakes!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

ANY school would be cool with me, and I would quite literally kill off some of the competition if it meant I could get into small arms C school, but I wouldn't mind doing mk 45 C school, svtt, or VLS. I love my rate, can't wait to get out to the fleet, but it seems orders are being put on hold. now one's getting them any more, and by the norm I should have had mine a while ago. I'm about to finish school in just a couple weeks and it may only be to go on hold for awhile waiting for orders. oh well, I guess. I'll just save up more money for the down payment of my JK, :p
Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rnjstel
My son is a VLS GM right now but, there is a huge shortage of 5 inch guys in the Fleet.

Good luck at the Lakes!
Aren't you worried some big dude will step on him?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yetibear
Aren't you worried some big dude will step on him?

I thought it was penis size. Gotta get my mind out of the gutter
Old 04-18-2009, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bsack
I thought it was penis size. Gotta get my mind out of the gutter
Well, if it is penis size, he has no need to fear it being stepped upon.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

You need to get you some Magpul PMAGs to go with the new rifle. Do a google search on them. There's torture test videos and the PMAGs are simply the best there is.

Quick Reply: Went to the Dark Side...The Black Rifle