Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Two Month Cross Country Hunt- Could Use Your Input

Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Month Cross Country Hunt- Could Use Your Input

I recently gave my current employer notice that I would be leaving the company. I wasn't really enjoying my job, too much stress, bad hours (Midnight-10AM), and not what I wanted to do long term. So I decided to make a big change. Come June I am going to be headed over to Africa to be an Apprentice Professional Hunter. I get back to the states at the end of October. My plan is to spend November and December road tripping across America, hunting, and visiting areas I'm interested in moving to.

My plan is to head west right away, and try to be in the Mtn states in Early November. I know I will have missed most of the big game hunting, and I have missed most of the draws for late season hunts. Although I believe I still have time to apply in Idaho, Montana and Arizona.

I have family with about 1800 acres near Blackfoot, ID where I know there are OTC tags. That said, I am totally overwhelmed with the areas, OTC tags, odds of success and ease of access among the various states.

I'm 24, in good shape, and have done long backpack hunts before, so I am not afraid to go into difficult areas. Hoping the Jeep can help me get nice and remote too.

I'm willing to do a hunt with a rifle, muzzleloader, or archery.

I am hoping to get a few mountain big game hunts in. Meet up with some friends to chukar hunt, then hunt my way back east stopping to bird and deer hunt along the way.

I have no problem with hunting with an outfitter, but I would like to keep my costs down, so I don't really think that is an option. Are cull hunts/ trespass fee hunts something I should look into?

So if you guys had November and December totally free, where would you go and what would you do? Keeping in mind I'm a non-resident.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Colorado has over the counter bull elk tags you can get.Pricey for non resident though. Just a thought.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HuntNFish
Come June I am going to be headed over to Africa to be an Apprentice Professional Hunter.
Wow, sounds like a dream come true!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by munchie
Colorado has over the counter bull elk tags you can get.Pricey for non resident though. Just a thought.
Thanks for the idea. I had looked at CO a little, but I don't think there were many options for late season (Nov) hunts. I have 2 years of pref points for Muley and Elk, hoping to become a resident and draw next year.

I'll give F&G a call and see if they can help me out.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 PM
JK Freak

I have friends that hunt all the time. If there is a season the put in for it. I will ask him what the Hunting in November in Wyoming is like. I have friends that every year get Elk, Deer, Proghorn and put in for moose every year in Wyoming. I don't know the area off hand. I will ask that to.

Good Luck. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't remember off the top of my head but MT and WY have seasons that go to around Thanksgiving. Also I think that in WY has OTC tags and I beleive that MT has gone to a draw but its about 90% chance of drawing a tag.

The last time I hunted CO the OTC bull tags were about $550. In CO try to get a unit on the West side of the Continetal Divide. they tend to have bigger bulls with go success.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input guys. I have a buddy looking for a archery muley voucher for me in CO. I am going to try to squeek in some time in ID and some bird hunting in MT.

I'd love to hear anyone elses thoughts.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you can snag a ID deer tag it is also good for black bear. I can't remember off the top of my head but it seems like you can't bait but you could use hounds or it might have been the other way. That could be a fun option for you
Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can usually buy NE deer tags online at their GF&P website as long as they haven't sold out. I would also suggest a weekend of Pheasant Hunting in SD, grew up there and if you haven't hunted them before, you are in for a treat.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HuntNFish
I recently gave my current employer notice that I would be leaving the company. I wasn't really enjoying my job, too much stress, bad hours (Midnight-10AM), and not what I wanted to do long term. So I decided to make a big change. Come June I am going to be headed over to Africa to be an Apprentice Professional Hunter. I get back to the states at the end of October. My plan is to spend November and December road tripping across America, hunting, and visiting areas I'm interested in moving to.

My plan is to head west right away, and try to be in the Mtn states in Early November. I know I will have missed most of the big game hunting, and I have missed most of the draws for late season hunts. Although I believe I still have time to apply in Idaho, Montana and Arizona.

I have family with about 1800 acres near Blackfoot, ID where I know there are OTC tags. That said, I am totally overwhelmed with the areas, OTC tags, odds of success and ease of access among the various states.

I'm 24, in good shape, and have done long backpack hunts before, so I am not afraid to go into difficult areas. Hoping the Jeep can help me get nice and remote too.

I'm willing to do a hunt with a rifle, muzzleloader, or archery.

I am hoping to get a few mountain big game hunts in. Meet up with some friends to chukar hunt, then hunt my way back east stopping to bird and deer hunt along the way.

I have no problem with hunting with an outfitter, but I would like to keep my costs down, so I don't really think that is an option. Are cull hunts/ trespass fee hunts something I should look into?

So if you guys had November and December totally free, where would you go and what would you do? Keeping in mind I'm a non-resident.
Very Cool. I have a friend that went to Africa to hunt for a few months after college. He ended up becoming a PH and stayed for a few years! He really enjoyed it. He's back in the US working in finance. What a great experience. I know you can get OTC tags in Idaho. There's decent elk hunting there. I hunted the Frank Church Wilderness with OTC tags several back and it's great country. However, you will probably have to pack in by foot to get to the elk. Most guys use horses. We packed in with llamas. It was a great experience. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Two Month Cross Country Hunt- Could Use Your Input