Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Texas Boar Down

Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NTXJK
LOL no this is my #1 hobby hog meat is the best out there I will take it over any wild game out there
I've heard hog meat is really good, but you say that like you've had it all........have you? Have you had moose meat or Dall sheep meat? Just curious.......
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

I can honestly say I never had moose but I have had sheep before and I didnt like it, a good back-strap or quater-hind off a small hog will have you wanting more mark my words I wish I could get some to yah
Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi

I can honestly say I never had moose but I have had sheep before and I didnt like it, a good back-strap or quater-hind off a small hog will have you wanting more mark my words I wish I could get some to yah
Yeah.....Dall sheep is an acquired taste to most, but I like it probably the best.....Of course I was raised on game meat too. But as far as moose goes. Many I have talked to like it more than beef. It's also the leanest game meat you can eat.....I think elk is second. Thanks for the thought, and I wish I could get you some moose meat..........lol.

PS.....Far as many as I hear there are down there now, I'd think everybody in the lower 48 would be eating "high on the hog" and lovin' it...???!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

I walked up on this guy eating my corn around 5:30 I dropped em right in his tracks!

Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi

I walked up on this guy eating my corn around 5:30 I dropped em right in his tracks!
More good eats I see...... I was watching a tv program the other day about how these guys are starting to devastate the lower 48 because they breed so fast and they can't keep up with them by killing enough. The program not only talked about how many there are, but also about the strain of the wild Russian boar that is starting to really take hold now. These hogs you have really seems to display a lot of the Russian boar attributes....coloring, longer snout, etc... Would you say so? Oh and btw what caliber are you shooting that dropped him in his tracks....???
Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're a well armed man. Love the fact you have more than one tool @ your disposal.

Is there a limit? Or are they considered some sort of pest and you can shoot 'em till the cows, er, pigs come home?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
More good eats I see...... I was watching a tv program the other day about how these guys are starting to devastate the lower 48 because they breed so fast and they can't keep up with them by killing enough. The program not only talked about how many there are, but also about the strain of the wild Russian boar that is starting to really take hold now. These hogs you have really seems to display a lot of the Russian boar attributes....coloring, longer snout, etc... Would you say so? Oh and btw what caliber are you shooting that dropped him in his tracks....???

I killed some in the past that had the build of a russian boar but 90% of the hogs I seen are full blooded ferals. They are a huge problem but lately they have been pretty scared to come out of the swamp we have wich is a good thing there guessing the population in Texas is well over 4 million. A single sow can have 3 liters in one yr and can have up to 14 piglets each time

Rifle is a Ruger M77 in .270 that rifle has more kills than any other rifle I own.

Last edited by NTXJK; 06-19-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Under Dawg
You're a well armed man. Love the fact you have more than one tool @ your disposal.

Is there a limit? Or are they considered some sort of pest and you can shoot 'em till the cows, er, pigs come home?
You gotta have the tools to get the job done

Theres no limits on hogs you can kill 100+ a day and it will be totally legal all yr long and yes they are considered as a pest a very tasty pest
Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I spotted about 15 hogs this morn I was only able to get one I hope to get the rest of them soon

Man that bore was packing some heat... What were you packing???
Old 06-20-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Another one bites the dust about 4:45am I spotted this one with the thermal out in a pasture near our pet cemetery. I didnt have the thermal mounted so I had to wait for some light as soon as the sun hit the horizon I put the .270 right behind the ear right around 200 yards

Quick Reply: Texas Boar Down