Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Steel Shot Damage Older Guns...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel Shot Damage Older Guns...

I have recently been told that steel shot will damage a shotgun (my 1100 w/imp cyl barrel and 870 w/modified barrel) if they are older guns. I know the 870 is at least 20 years old and not sure about the 1100. Any thoughts?

I'm new to duck hunting and trying to figure out what I need to use for a shotgun!

Thanks
Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've never had any problems with mine. I use the same two remingtons for the past 15ish years.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

what is the choke on the 1100 you have to be careful as the steel doesn't compress like lead. Like a modified lead choke is a full steel choke. If you are worried you can take it to a good gun smith and have teh cylinder bored to change the choke. I would just find a nrewer barrel with interchangable chokes though.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi

Altho some of the older shotgun manufacturers used a softer steel, I think it's really a matter of what choke. Don't shoot steel out of an older full choke barrel. I don't think you'll have any problem with a modified or improved. I also think the newer steel shells have some pretty good buffers in them as well to help things out. If you don't want to chance it tho, like what was said, look for a new replacement barrel.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also use tungsten or some other non-toxic shot. Have an old citori that can't handle steel (called the manufacturer and gave serial number, which is something you can also do to find out for sure) and used tungsten matrix shells with positive results.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MeaNGreeNSaharA
You can also use tungsten or some other non-toxic shot. Have an old citori that can't handle steel (called the manufacturer and gave serial number, which is something you can also do to find out for sure) and used tungsten matrix shells with positive results.
Isn't the tungsten even harder than steel???
Everything I've read says if you can't use steel, you definately can't use tungsten. I thought the tungsten was just an improvement over steel because it patterned better or something.

As for the original question, with those barrels you should be fine with steel.
As a prior post stated, you just need to stay away from the tighter chokes with steel unless it's a choke tube specifically made for it.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am surprised about the Tungsten recommendation. I always thought tungsten was like 3 times harder than steel? I know it is some heavy metal.

Anyway... X2 on getting a new barrel. 870 and 1100 barrels are pretty cheap. Just get a couple new barrels and chokes and never worry about it again.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy at browning said to use tungsten matrix, it's a mix, not pure tungsten, it is heavier but acts like lead and is soft and compresses. Steel has no give. Read around and you'll see. Those alloys are what they recomend for older barrels

Quick Reply: Steel Shot Damage Older Guns...