Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Spotting Scope eye peice..Straight or Angled

Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spotting Scope eye peice..Straight or Angled

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new spotting scope. I currently have a Leuopld Goldring 15x30x50mm with a straight eye peice,when I look through it for long periods of time I seem to cramp my neck alot, however I like how fast I can get on target or game. I've heard the angled eye peices were more comfortable being that your neck wont be kinked.

I was thinkin about getting the VORTEX RAZOR HD 20x60x85mm, I will be useing this spotter mainly for back country hunts out West,so there will be alot of steep terrain.I'm mainly sitting while glassing. Will the Angled eye piece work good in steep terrain?

What do you guys think and why? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:44 PM
JK Newbie

I find the angled eyepiece much more comfortable to use from a sitting position especially if I'm _not_ scanning. For example, when seated at the bench, I have the scope on a short tripod sitting on the raised edge of the front of the shooting bay. It's focused on my target only (OK, so I may check out another lane occasionally but that's just azimuth). It took a short time to become accustomed to but now I really like it. OTOH, I find it a bit frustrating when I'm trying to find something at arbitrary range, elevation & azimuth. I think the straight eyepiece is much more intuitive in that situation.

I think the key to either _especially at high magnification_ is to have the appropriate support (tripod or monopod). The angled eyepiece will be odd & slow at first, regardless but eventually you'll get comfortable with it. If this is something you're only going to use from time to time _and_ you're going to be searching with it, I'd go with straight. Just my $0.02...

For a scope in that class you should also expect most of the magnification range to actually be usable. It's pretty common for non-HD scopes to darken & color (commonly blue) when you get over 40x or so. Best of luck!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi

The main reason I didn't go with the angled, is that in hunting situations you will run into bad weather. The angled eyepiece will catch the rain or snow more than the straight. As a guide in AK. I have spent countless hours behind a spotting scope. I don't really remember getting neck strain. Also, it's not good to have to be constantly wiping the eyepiece.

Quick Reply: Spotting Scope eye peice..Straight or Angled