Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

signs

Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default signs

OK, I just read the article about the 19 yr old girl being killed by coyotes in canada and it got me thinking. Why are people so dead set against others owning and carrying weapons. OK I know this was in a national park so no firearm allowed but even bear spray would have saved her life.

I read a few weeks ago in the AP that a college kid killed a burglar with a samurai sword. When the intruder attacked instead of just leaving. Good for him he killed the bad guy and defended his roommates.

A week or so there was thread where a person asked why some of us feel the need to carry a pistol in our jeep. They were not mean about it they were just wondering the thought process.

Every time I go in the woods I have always carried firearms, except in yellowstone where I carry spray and a blade.

The most I hear is the people are afraid of the "bad guy" having a gun and being able to shot them. Well if you had a gun and the guy knew it you think he would still shoot first.

A weapon is not good or evil it is just a tool used by a person with good or evil intentions. I know I'm preaching to the chior on this one. That is why I put it here and not in the another subforum.

You were wondering about the title? I told you I was thinking and my mind goes from pillar to post every few seconds. You remember the Mel Gibson movie "signs". I spent the whole moving thinking if he had a shotgun that would solve 99% of his problems. Simple fact is you are either armed or you are a sheep. But I’m just a dumb southern hick/redneck what the hell do I know.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toymaster
OK, I just read the article about the 19 yr old girl being killed by coyotes in canada and it got me thinking. Why are people so dead set against others owning and carrying weapons. OK I know this was in a national park so no firearm allowed but even bear spray would have saved her life.

I read a few weeks ago in the AP that a college kid killed a burglar with a samurai sword. When the intruder attacked instead of just leaving. Good for him he killed the bad guy and defended his roommates.

A week or so there was thread where a person asked why some of us feel the need to carry a pistol in our jeep. They were not mean about it they were just wondering the thought process.

Every time I go in the woods I have always carried firearms, except in yellowstone where I carry spray and a blade.

The most I hear is the people are afraid of the "bad guy" having a gun and being able to shot them. Well if you had a gun and the guy knew it you think he would still shoot first.

A weapon is not good or evil it is just a tool used by a person with good or evil intentions. I know I'm preaching to the chior on this one. That is why I put it here and not in the another subforum.

You were wondering about the title? I told you I was thinking and my mind goes from pillar to post every few seconds. You remember the Mel Gibson movie "signs". I spent the whole moving thinking if he had a shotgun that would solve 99% of his problems. Simple fact is you are either armed or you are a sheep. But I’m just a dumb southern hick/redneck what the hell do I know.

lets just hope that everyone wakes up to the fact that if your unprepared then you can be the victim
Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't say enough be prepared for the worst encounter! I always carry bear spray, bear bangers and a spot GPS when I am out in the field or hiking with the family!

I just think the schools & work should educate people on Wilderness safety and prepareness. People thinking of entering the outdoors with no experience should at the very least take a course or 2 on wilderness safety!

I know with my kid's school has been teaching the K-7 kids about bear, cougar, wolf and coyote safety the last few years....we live right in the mountains in bear,cougar and wolf country and do have the odd Grizzly Bear wondering into our backyard.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

I read a few weeks ago in the AP that a college kid killed a burglar with a samurai sword.
how embarassing
Old 10-29-2009, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's badass, ninja style! People should know how to defend themselves though. My wife and I always carry, where ever we are, and we pay attention to what's going on around us. Her friends think we're horrible for owning guns. One of these girls is a real estate agent that does open houses and doesn't even carry pepper spray. She's about a buck 10, no common sense and she just trusts everyone. What an idiot.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

A weapon is not good or evil it is just a tool...
x2!
Whenever possible I get a concealed permit in each state I work in and keep a small pistol in the Jeep.
I really hope I never have to use it, but I don't want to be caught without, wishing I had it.
I don't think every joe blow should have a gun, but anyone who has common sense, training, and practice can carry and it doesn't bother me for a second.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Guns....

I could never understand why people are so against. I have yet to see the gun that just randomly killed someone. I mean, surr guns can kill people... But only with the assistance from a human being.

Humans kill humans. Guns have nothing to do with it. But i know, i know-preaching to the chior. Its just the freaking audience thats not listening.

Remember the movie Maximum Overdrive (toasters and vacuums and such killing people). How bout we all pitch in and make a sequel with nothing but guns randomly shooting people and JKs running people over.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Here is a link to an article in the news up here from the mother of the coyote attack victim

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...029?hub=Canada

I also take a gun with me whenever I am in the bush, unfortunately up in Canada we can't legally take a hand gun so we have to take a rifle you should see the looks I get from some hikers when they see me with a gun on my shoulder. Yet last fall I had to shoot a smaller black bear on his second charge at me. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the first but when he got down wind and came back at me I shot him. As I was on the outside edge of a provincial park I feel I probably saved a non-armed hiker down the road.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

A rifle is better than a handgun anyday. There's a joke that a lady asks a guy why he's carrying such a large handgun...a .45. And he says, becuase I couldn't bring my rifle. If I had to choose between a handgun, a shotgun and a rifle, like an ar15, I 'd choose a rifle.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rhinonemec
A rifle is better than a handgun anyday. There's a joke that a lady asks a guy why he's carrying such a large handgun...a .45. And he says, becuase I couldn't bring my rifle. If I had to choose between a handgun, a shotgun and a rifle, like an ar15, I 'd choose a rifle.
thanks for the vote of confidence, still be nice to be able to carry a handgun or AR legally

Quick Reply: signs