Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Sig Sauer 226

Old 10-12-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Sauer 226

Lotta drama going on down the road. Thinking of getting a pistol to protect household. Looking at the Sig Sauer 226. Any suggestions/recommendations?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 08JKsahara
Lotta drama going on down the road. Thinking of getting a pistol to protect household. Looking at the Sig Sauer 226. Any suggestions/recommendations?
Yes, make sure its the .40 and the sig pro. other than that its the perfect fun.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

I have a Sig P229 Elite stainless in 9mm and it's the finest gun I've ever fired. Period. Sig makes incredibly good firearms. For home protection though I use an HK USP .45. Go to a range and rent a few pistols in different caliber and find out what you like shooting (.40, .45, 9mm, etc.). If this will be your only handgun you might want to consider something your wife can shoot as well (my wife can shoot .40, .45, 9mm and .380, but likes 9mm).

The P226 is an insanely fine gun. Can't go wrong with it.

Be forewarned though, guns are addictive.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Junkie

My wife Has been a Police Patrol officer for almost 8 years, and has carried a p226 for the last 5 1/2. She carried the same sidearm on the SWAT team. She loves it. Its the blued stainless version, 9mm. It has Hogue grips, and a internal Lasermax sight.

I personally am in love with my Beretta PX4 Storm...but its highly modified, and shares mags with my CX4 Carbine.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default p250

Anyone have the p250? It looks like you can get the best of all worlds!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have no experience with the 250. i currently have a 226 and had a 220. the sigs are well made guns, just a couple of things that bugged me about them:

the slides tend to need a lot more attention than those on other guns (the slides rust ridiculously fast) so make sure they are well lubricated, especially after use in high humidity enviornments. while attending their armorer courses, i was told that it is because sig uses high quality steel in their slides....

also the grip screws on the 226s tend to loosen after even moderate firing. i havent seen this problem with any other gun. you can use lock tite on them but only if you dont remove the grip panels often.

the final thing is the price; i think the sig is an over priced gun (just like HK--but i have a few of their products also).

you might want to look at the springfield xd series of guns (i am thinking of getting one). they are close to half the price of a sig (or hk). even though they are made in croatia, i hear nothing but good things about that gun...anyway, good luck in your search for a gun

Last edited by silver rubicon; 10-14-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 08JKsahara
Suggestion, buy a shotgun! I shoot a lot of pistol but I 'd go for a shotgun for in home defense any day over one of my pistols.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by silver rubicon
i have no experience with the 250. i currently have a 226 and had a 220. the sigs are well made guns, just a couple of things that bugged me about them:

the slides tend to need a lot more attention than those on other guns (the slides rust ridiculously fast) so make sure they are well lubricated, especially after use in high humidity enviornments. while attending their armorer courses, i was told that it is because sig uses high quality steel in their slides....

also the grip screws on the 226s tend to loosen after even moderate firing. i havent seen this problem with any other gun. you can use lock tite on them but only if you dont remove the grip panels often.

the final thing is the price; i think the sig is an over priced gun (just like HK--but i have a few of their products also).

you might want to look at the springfield xd series of guns (i am thinking of getting one). they are close to half the price of a sig (or hk). even though they are made in croatia, i hear nothing but good things about that gun...anyway, good luck in your search for a gun

the stainless Sigs dont have that rusting problems so much ..
Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
Suggestion, buy a shotgun! I shoot a lot of pistol but I 'd go for a shotgun for in home defense any day over one of my pistols.

not a bad choice--for some--but a bit unwieldy in tight quarters, like the hallways, bathrooms and closets of a home. unless you have huge hallways, clearing corners with a handgun is much more efficient than with a shotgun, in addition, you will need two hands to handle the shotgun, and unless you have a dedicated light mounted to it, can be a tactical pia opening doors too!

but again, the ballistic advantage of a 12 gauge with 00 buckshot may just over ride the disadvantages for you (it does for me! )
Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went to "Jim's Fire(leg's)" today and looked at the 250. It looks like a really nice gun. You can change the slide to your caliber preference as well as length. You can change the grip to your size liking , but the only problem is ...its so new they dont even have any parts for it: grips, slides, ect. They wanted $750 + tax. Kinda steep, might be a christmas gift.