Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Rock River Arms

Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006
So i'm looking for a rifle never owned a AR before I have always been of the school of thought that "you get what you pay for". These seem like some bad ass rifles but it seems odd that they are so relatively cheap for such a built rifle like I said dont know much about AR's so if anyone could educate me that would be great. Thanks

Ps. looking at this one RRA LAR-15 Tactical Operator2 they say it retails at about $1000

I am about to buy my first AR as well. I am really considering the RRA, but Spikes Tactical is starting to sway me! You should check them out.

I really want a SCAR!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GaMtnJk
I am about to buy my first AR as well. I am really considering the RRA, but Spikes Tactical is starting to sway me! You should check them out.

I really want a SCAR!
Welcome to the BRD!! (Black Rifle Disease) Between that and your Jeep, your going to be in the poor house. I know I am lol

You cant go wront with Spikes either. They make a great product.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4WHLN
Welcome to the BRD!! (Black Rifle Disease) Between that and your Jeep, your going to be in the poor house. I know I am lol

You cant go wront with Spikes either. They make a great product.

Thanks! I have my fair share of firearms, lots of handguns and a few hunting rifles. I have been trying to avoid the AR for a while because I know I will never stop!! First an AR, then a SCAR, then an ACR, not to mention optics, handles, lights, magazines, slings, etc, etc

My Jeep mods will sufer!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Thanks! I have my fair share of firearms, lots of handguns and a few hunting rifles. I have been trying to avoid the AR for a while because I know I will never stop!! First an AR, then a SCAR, then an ACR, not to mention optics, handles, lights, magazines, slings, etc, etc

My Jeep mods will sufer!
Im glad to see someone in the same boat Im in. I too held off as long as I could befor plunging into the AR world that seems to have no bottom to it. LOL

I held a SCAR a couple weeks ago...... Ive found a new love.

Good Luck with your build.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006
So i'm looking for a rifle never owned a AR before I have always been of the school of thought that "you get what you pay for". These seem like some bad ass rifles but it seems odd that they are so relatively cheap for such a built rifle like I said dont know much about AR's so if anyone could educate me that would be great. Thanks

Ps. looking at this one RRA LAR-15 Tactical Operator2 they say it retails at about $1000
1000 or less for a complete AR of respectable quality is not a bad deal. Hell I paid more than 1k for a complete Colt M4 upper alone in pre Obama gun and ammo crazy days. But again this was also in the peoples republik of Kalifornistan where I currently reside. We have the most ass backwards laws here for everything especially when it comes to our 2a rights...(Rant Off) I have bought mostly (LPK) lower parts kits from RRA so I cant comment on their complete rifles first hand.

Honestly though if you are new to ARs take your time and do your research. I have built 5 of them from the lowers up. You will find you get what you pay for like most things. Also ARs are really fun because you can build them up in so many different configs...much like our Jeeps...honestly my (BRD) Black Rifle Disease has taken the fore front to my Jeep Mods but thats all about to change time for me to off load some AR awesomeness to fund my Jeep MODs. Me personally I will not buy complete Rifles from anyone besides BCM, Noveske, Colt, LMT or Larue (but Larue wont sell complete to people in CA) Only uppers and piece parts no billet lowers for us.

Also it just depends what you are going to use your AR for too. Me I love my ARs and I run them hard. I like to take tactial shooting classes too and push myself and my gear to the edge, but I know thats not for everyone. If your thing is just plinking and shooting paper from the bench. Then some of the lower quality, less dependable and less expensive kits should do you fine. But from reading your post you sound like me pay once for quality and the pain is once...least that was my thought.

One Key thing you should not accept any parts other than "MIL-Spec". Mil spec parts are military grade parts made to the same specifications that the military requires. Also what kind of shooting you want to do will dictate what Kind of AR would suit you best. If you will be bench rest shooting for distance and sub "MOA"-Accuracy then you should look at getting and SBR (18" min up to 24"). If you want a tacti-cool AR with all the evil features then an M4 or M4 like set up would work. Or like most people I know get one of each and start reloading so you can afford to keep shooting them..

There are plenty of parts and accessories to be had these days and lots of good deals on forums like Ar15.CXM Calguns.NXT, M4carbine.CXM etc etc...just take a look and do your homework. I can guarantee though if you start building your own before you know it you will have 2.3 4 or more of them in the works...

If you have more questions feel free to PM me I can go on for hours on this...good luck in whatever you decide.

Oh and yes like a few others here I think the SCAR is awesome too!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

My Jeep mods will sufer!
LOL +1 very true My AR obsession and BRD is one of the reasons my Jeep is still stock.! but I need to off load some toys soon for some Mods.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:56 AM
JK Newbie

I had a RRA Elite CAR A4 for years. Great gun, great fitment, great quality, & great accuracy. Never had a problem with it. You CAN spend more money on a gun alone, but this will be like your Jeep, you're gonna put more money into it. I spent another $1500 on accessories alone and another $1000 on ammo.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:57 AM
JK Newbie

Also, my thought was "If it's good enough to be the manufacture of choice for the DEA, it's good enough for me."
Old 12-08-2010, 12:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another good thing about RRA.... Most all of thier package guns come with a RRA 2 stage trigger. I have other makes of AR's but all of them now have the RRA 2 stage trigger. Normally costs around 125.00 to put one in if it doesn't come with the rifle. The more you shoot AR's you will realize that you will like it even more with a good trigger!!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Dpms also makes a great rifle for a good price! Shot through alot of ammo and no problems! Just my opinion

Quick Reply: Rock River Arms