Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

remington 870 or Mossberg 590?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 PM
JKX
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Potato Poh-Tah-Toe. ; )

I have a Mossgerg tactical mil spec surplus with Eotech optics. I love it.

I also love my Remington. Both Rick but I would have to say I would grab my Mossy first when the zombies decide to drop by.

LOL.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking shotgun you picked up there!

A few quick tips/notes.

If it were me I would go with the Mesa Tactical stock versus the Knoxx. It does run considerably more money then the Knoxx, but the quality is head and shoulders above it also. I have run both stocks on previous shotgun builds and I really prefer the Mesa above the Knoxx. The recoil reduction seems to be higher and the all metal build instill more confidence in me then the plastic Knoxx.
brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24535/Product/REMINGTON-870-TELESCOPING-STOCK-CONVERSION-KIT

If you are looking to add a sidesaddle that forearm may get in the way depending on the type you get. Some work with it and others do not. As I am typing this though I am remembering that you are left handed firing a right handed weapon. So side saddle may be out of the question for you, you may consider going to a butt cuff but that will keep you from being able to use a collapsible stock. If you do decide to use a sidesaddle shell holder I would again point you towards the Mesa Tactical line. Their's are top notch and have a nice little piece of rubber running through the back to hold the shells in place nice and tight.
brownells.com/.aspx/pid=23164/Product/RECEIVER-MOUNT-SHOTSHELL-HOLDER

On the other hand you could go with something like this Zombie Hunter that gives you a recoil reducing and collapsible stock that also incorporates a shell holder on it. I have no experience with this one though so I can't vouch for it.
brownells.com/.aspx/pid=44384/Product/ZOMBIE-HUNTER-KICKLITE-TACTICAL-STOCK

For sights, if you plan to upgrade them, I always suggest some XS Tritium sights. Those things are quick and easy to pick up in any lighting situation and are rock solid when they are installed properly.

One thing that you will definitely want to change is going to be the MIM extractor that comes standard in that particular gun. The MIM piece fails quite often after a bit of abuse. Check out this one here.
brownells.com/.aspx/pid=10745/Product/EXTRACTOR

The 870 safety can quickly and easily be switched from right hand control to left by using the Fortmann's kit.
midwayusa.com/product/463939/fortmanns-left-hand-safety-conversion-remington-552-740-760-870-1100-11-87

I like to drop the trigger pull, but that is just me. It just makes it that much easier to get quick accurate shots on target. For a relatively cheap fix you can use the Timney system.
brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32078/Product/REM-870-1100-11-87-TRIGGER-FIX

That's really about it, but those are the changes I usually do for all of my customers 870's. The other thing I would suggest is to zip tie the slide release and just work the action 500-1000 times. It's easy enough to do in a few evenings while watching TV. No need to file, stone, or sand paper anything down just let the action take care of its own polishing.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Btw, there are more after market accessories to personalize an 870

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-406865571.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	269966
Old 01-25-2012, 05:57 PM
JKX
JK Newbie

I made the mistake of using the tactical grip/stock on a two day tactical shotgun training program. TKO slugs and 00Buck all day both days. Ran about 500-600 rds over 48 hours. My thumb was throbbing from concentrated recoil after 30 shots. Miserable. I switched back to the standard and chucked the tac stock aside. The look bad ass but REALLY REALLY screw you over in training. Just my take.

Here is the before/after

Name:	image-3795541637.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	269972

Name:	image-3462233547.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	269973
Old 01-25-2012, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the help and pics guys
Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Am I the only one that's anti-pump action shotguns? I recently picked up a Benelli M-4 semi auto. 7 in the pipe, one in the chamber, one floating.... That's nine slugs down range as fast as you can pull the trigger.....love it! I also have an Eotech HWS on it for quick target acquisition.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biker2jeeper
Am I the only one that's anti-pump action shotguns? I recently picked up a Benelli M-4 semi auto. 7 in the pipe, one in the chamber, one floating.... That's nine slugs down range as fast as you can pull the trigger.....love it! I also have an Eotech HWS on it for quick target acquisition.
Nope, love my 11-87 SPP. Heavy but great for 3 gun.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, I love my Saiga with a drum mag. You may feel comfortable with 9 rounds, but I keep 24 rounds total in mine. Low recoil, great pointability, and amazing capacity. Finally no huge downside to running a shotgun.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:16 AM
JKX
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Imrahil
Nope, I love my Saiga with a drum mag. You may feel comfortable with 9 rounds, but I keep 24 rounds total in mine. Low recoil, great pointability, and amazing capacity. Finally no huge downside to running a shotgun.
Just curious...Are you talking .410 or 12ga slugs/shot? I have always wanted a Saiga but could only find them chambered in .410. (not that there is anything wrong with .410, I just prefer 12ga.)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:28 AM
JKX
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by biker2jeeper
I have an appreciation for most firearms. I say, depending on your intended application, size, and personal preference, there is no right answer to the OP question. The important thing is if you are talking defensive shotgun application vs sport that you train, train, train, to be sure the shotgun is right for you and has a minimal failure rate. Not to get too preachy on the subject...

Quick Reply: remington 870 or Mossberg 590?