Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Question for you 1911 folks...

Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JGP4JK
I need some advice...
Keep yours. Every manufacturer will put out a bad apple every now and then and the hardest part of finding a good pistol is finding one that you have faith in. You obviously have one that you love so it would be crazy to get rid of it. You WILL regret getting rid of this firearm because of how proud you are of it. If you really want a SS SA 1911 then get your butt on a waiting list and save the money!

Originally Posted by dan3jeeps

Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and Ed Brown are generally the "cream of the crop" in the 1911 world. Even the top of the line SA, the TRP Operator (I think) a very nice 1911 in its own right, is still not quite what those other manufacturers can dish up in terms of fit and finish, small parts quality, attention to detail, warranty, reliability, 100% made in America, and oh yeah... price.
I would happily (and do) take my TRP Operator against any of those that are listed. I own a Nighthawk, Wilson, and STI but my TRP is my go to 1911. Of course I have the advantage of running the gun shop that I bought it from. I ordered in a ton of them about 5 years ago (all completely made in USA at the time) and went through every one to find the "perfect" pistol.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Imrahil

Keep yours. Every manufacturer will put out a bad apple every now and then and the hardest part of finding a good pistol is finding one that you have faith in. You obviously have one that you love so it would be crazy to get rid of it. You WILL regret getting rid of this firearm because of how proud you are of it. If you really want a SS SA 1911 then get your butt on a waiting list and save the money!

I would happily (and do) take my TRP Operator against any of those that are listed. I own a Nighthawk, Wilson, and STI but my TRP is my go to 1911. Of course I have the advantage of running the gun shop that I bought it from. I ordered in a ton of them about 5 years ago (all completely made in USA at the time) and went through every one to find the "perfect" pistol.
Yeah I agree. The deal seems fishy anyway now that I've slept on it a few days. I have a couple "slide sticking" issues with mine after I did a trigger job (what the trigger has to do with it, I don't know) and its been back with my gunsmith. Since its been gone I've realized how much I miss it. Not that I look at it every day... Ok maybe I do. Haha! Come on, I've only had it 3 months! It's my first 1911, and as someone said before, yes 1911's ARE addictive. This won't be my last one but I'll def hold on to it.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JGP4JK

What was your situation where the gun was misused by a previous owner? I'll take all the advice I can get being that this would be my first used firearm transaction with someone I didn't know.

And you're right, it does seem fishy. I just don't want to miss a good deal.
I had bought a used 1911 that appeared to be in good condition. And looked fine on disassembly. It even fired well at the range. After I got home and cleaned I noticed the ejector on the frame was loose. These are usually held in by a pin in the frame. Well the guy apparently drilled out the hole and put epoxy in there to take up the extra slack of where his drilling removed metal. After a range trip it came loose again. And taking it to a gunsmith the frame was junk and my only solution was to have it replaced or try gluing it in place again. It was just my personal situation. All I am saying to you is, beware because the guy that sold that to me cheap wanted to get rid of it without me noticing.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thedrod

I had bought a used 1911 that appeared to be in good condition. And looked fine on disassembly. It even fired well at the range. After I got home and cleaned I noticed the ejector on the frame was loose. These are usually held in by a pin in the frame. Well the guy apparently drilled out the hole and put epoxy in there to take up the extra slack of where his drilling removed metal. After a range trip it came loose again. And taking it to a gunsmith the frame was junk and my only solution was to have it replaced or try gluing it in place again. It was just my personal situation. All I am saying to you is, beware because the guy that sold that to me cheap wanted to get rid of it without me noticing.
Roger that. Yeah, that might send me thru the roof. Good to know, but sorry for your experience.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with your gut feeling 99% of the time you'll never be wrong in following it. but my vote would be to keep yours, you know it.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:26 AM
JK Newbie

Try green locktite and a look for a smith that specializes in 1911s. This really shouldn't be the death of a 1911 frame. I've seen a number of Springfield 1911s with loose ejectors repaired by green locktite.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not do the trade. IT is an apples to apples trade but no one does and apple to apples trade. I have a $900 Colt Defender I will trade you. Hows that offer? The problem is it jams almost every other round. Just have not got around to sending it back to Colt.

If you are happy with it, keep it. Springfield is a great name but I remember being steared away from it when I was looking to buy. I think they had quality issues back in the early 2000's.

Bottom line, if you are happy with your piece, keep it. There is a reason the other guy will be happier with yours than he is with the one he currently has.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by powrsurg
... There is a reason the other guy will be happier with yours than he is with the one he currently has.
Well said.

Sorry to hear about your Defender. That is not a healthy testiment to that model. Not much "defending" going on there.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fixed it myself beleive it or not. I looked at a bunch of pictures of extracter rods and then learned how to take mine out. THe tooth on mine was rounded and the valley in the middle was slanted towards the tooth. It was as if the Rod was designed intentionally to jam. Im sure it was a factory freak error. It was then dremmel time. I took a few microns off the valley and flattened it. I also made the tooth straight by grinding down the roundness. After a solid cleaning and reassembly, I put 150 rounds through it downrange and it didnt jam, or double feed once. Im maddly in love with it again.

Originally Posted by dan3jeeps
Well said.

Sorry to hear about your Defender. That is not a healthy testiment to that model. Not much "defending" going on there.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

I normally keep my mouth shut and listen as much as possible, but I'll chime in on this as it's in my lane. First off, Springfield Armory pistols have a great warranty. They are a great base gun. In fact, many custom 1911 pistolsmiths prefer SA GI's over many other brands. If possible check to see if the SA has been modified. If not, or depending on what's been modified, SA will make it right.

On a side not:
SA uses an epoxy and press fits the ejectors in most of their 1911s. Even some of the TRPs and Professional models have been reported with this. Most ppl will never have a problem with this. The "correct" way to install one is to press fit and pin the ejector through the frame.

Also, if you have problems with extractor geometry or tension, it needs a knowledgable gunsmith or experienced armorer to correct these. Most of the times its going to be a replacement on a worn extractor. You might be able to mask the problem with re-tensioning or filing, but the tolerances are stacking against you.

A 1911 is an enthusiasts gun. It takes work and dedication to the platform to keep it running. Please understand that my viewpoint comes from a life saving tool perspective, and watching/shooting tens of thousands of rounds go down range. YMMV

Quick Reply: Question for you 1911 folks...