Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Question for you 1911 folks...

Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you 1911 folks...

I need some advice...

I recently (about 3 months ago) bought a Para 1911 GI issue and I love it. For around the $540 mark you get a base, "paracoated" (black) 1911 but it comes with perks like a 3.5 lb match trigger and a skeletonized hammer. It also features a stainless barrel and raised dovetail sites. Bang for your buck wise, it may be the best entry level 1911 to get. I have added cocolobo grips and a chip McCormick skeletonized trigger with a Wilson sear spring and the gun is incredible.

However, Ive recently been approached by an individual who has offered me his two year old (claims he's fired less than 300 rounds thru it) stainless Springfield 1911 A1 GI issue, all factory gun on a straight up trade. He has even offered to give me a new Wilson combat trigger and hammer with the gun and two mags, still even trade for my para. Now, don't go crazy yet because this gun is the lowest of entry level springfield 1911's that you can get, and if you choose to sit on a waiting list for 6 months you can have one for about $550 to $590. Its not a fancy gun by any means. Regardless, it's still a Springfield 1911 which is the cream of the crop. If you try and find one used your looking at paying the new price, or more because no one wants to wait 6 months for a retail store's next order. So their resale values are great. He has two of the same gun but loves his buddies Para and instead of selling the Springfield and buying my same gun, he's willing to even trade to not deal with the hassle of it all.

My question obviously is, should I do it? When all is said and done and I have the new trigger and hammer in I'll essentially have the same gun as I do now but in a stainless Springfield. However, that para shoots very well and you can read anywhere that it's a highly comparable gun in both quality and reliability.... But it's still not a Springfield.

I'm not a "brand whore". I really like, and have been very successful with trying and using "the other guy" brands. This one just has me thinking.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

I think you have a very good apples to apples comparison and you cannot go wrong either way. According to your post, you shoot the Para very accurately. Seeing that accuracy is the second most important quality in a gun, you cannot go wrong by keeping it. If you shoot the Springfield just as accurately, feel free to trade if you would rather have a "Springfield" over a "Para" or if you prefer stainless over blued.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its easier for me to give advice when its not my decision. But I would question the guys motives big time.

Questions that one might consider:

Is it stolen? You won't know unless you get caught with it.
Was it used in a crime? You won't know unless you get caught with it.
Why would you trade something more valuable straight up?
Does it have a hard to notice problem you won't see until too late? This did happen to me once.

I like Springfield and Para....but the deal seems fishy.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaMtnJk
I think you have a very good apples to apples comparison and you cannot go wrong either way. According to your post, you shoot the Para very accurately. Seeing that accuracy is the second most important quality in a gun, you cannot go wrong by keeping it. If you shoot the Springfield just as accurately, feel free to trade if you would rather have a "Springfield" over a "Para" or if you prefer stainless over blued.
Thanks for the response man. Yeah, I think that's what it's going to come down to. Do I want a stainless 1911 and do I wan to go with the known "brand name"? The Para plugs what ever I point it at. I'm certain the Springfield is just as accurate but I also know everything that has been done to my gun since I've owned it new. Good response.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Define "cream of the crop".

Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and Ed Brown are generally the "cream of the crop" in the 1911 world. Even the top of the line SA, the TRP Operator (I think) a very nice 1911 in its own right, is still not quite what those other manufacturers can dish up in terms of fit and finish, small parts quality, attention to detail, warranty, reliability, 100% made in America, and oh yeah... price.

That said, one is generally served well with any of the SA line of 1911 for "normal folk" everyday use. SA makes a good firearm and it is well regarded by many. Do you gain anything in this trade? Why does he want to trade for your Para? You have customized your Para and I assume you like the results. Are you losing that "personal touch" you have put into your Para?

1911's are addictive. Once you are into them you are always looking for the next one.

Many guys like the Colts, Kimbers, S&W, Dan Wesson, and STIs for "higher end" quality 1911s. Sig and Remington now offer pretty good choices too.

If you want to stay with SA, check out the Loaded model or there TRP for their better models. Both are darn good 1911s.

Instead of trading, offer to buy it outright and over time see which you like better. Sell the other one.

I bet you don't just have one 1911 in your life. Try 'em all and live and learn!

Good luck and best 1911 wishes!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thedrod
Its easier for me to give advice when its not my decision. But I would question the guys motives big time.

Does it have a hard to notice problem you won't see until too late? This did happen to me once.

All very good points and all points I am considering. Keep in mind this is a base line, GI, low rise site, $560 1911. However, your words have hit me in the gut and moving me back to not doing it. Makes sense, definitely.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dan3jeeps
Define "cream of the crop".

Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and Ed Brown are generally the "cream of the crop" in the 1911 world. Even the top of the line SA, the TRP Operator (I think) a very nice 1911 in its own right, is still not quite what those other manufacturers can dish up in terms of fit and finish, small parts quality, attention to detail, warranty, reliability, 100% made in America, and oh yeah... price.

That said, one is generally served well with any of the SA line of 1911 for "normal folk" everyday use. SA makes a good firearm and it is well regarded by many. Do you gain anything in this trade? Why does he want to trade for your Para? You have customized your Para and I assume you like the results. Are you losing that "personal touch" you have put into your Para?

1911's are addictive. Once you are into them you are always looking for the next one.

Many guys like the Colts, Kimbers, S&W, Dan Wesson, and STIs for "higher end" quality 1911s. Sig and Remington now offer pretty good choices too.

If you want to stay with SA, check out the Loaded model or there TRP for their better models. Both are darn good 1911s.

Instead of trading, offer to buy it outright and over time see which you like better. Sell the other one.

I bet you don't just have one 1911 in your life. Try 'em all and live and learn!

Good luck and best 1911 wishes!
I'm referring to entry and mid level 1911's. I don't have the cash to buy another one at the moment, just mine to trade. This seems like a deal where I may be coming out the better. He is looking for a para, he's going to drop $540 for it after selling his Springfield. He figured this trade is worth not going the retail or FFL route. Mine is customized a bit and only 3 months old but his could sell for a little more and is two years old. Im not a competitive shooter, nor a brand seeker so a reliable $500 gun is as valuable to me as a flashy $1,200 gun. Just looking for advice for the situation at hand.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thedrod

What was your situation where the gun was misused by a previous owner? I'll take all the advice I can get being that this would be my first used firearm transaction with someone I didn't know.

And you're right, it does seem fishy. I just don't want to miss a good deal.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned a number of 1911s: Kimber, Colt, Sig, SA. The base GI is a good gun but it lacks the fit and finish of the higher priced guns. I'm not sue why you would wan to trade unless you don't like your current gun. They are both similarly priced and you have made improvements to yours. I'd be hesitant. I think you would be better served to save up for a higher end gun.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SBEII
I've owned a number of 1911s: Kimber, Colt, Sig, SA. The base GI is a good gun but it lacks the fit and finish of the higher priced guns. I'm not sue why you would wan to trade unless you don't like your current gun. They are both similarly priced and you have made improvements to yours. I'd be hesitant. I think you would be better served to save up for a higher end gun.
True. Maybe deep down I really wanted stainless? I think I'm leaning toward sticking with mine now.

Quick Reply: Question for you 1911 folks...