Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Which One? Stoeger Cougar vs. S&W Sigma Allied Forces

Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which One? Stoeger Cougar vs. S&W Sigma Allied Forces

I've narrowed down my choices to these two. Both are tactical semiautos. Both are high-cap. Both can be had for under $400. I'm looking for one of these to serve for 1. Target, 2. Home defense, 3. Carry.

Model: SW9VE
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 16+1 Rounds
Barrel Length: 4"
Front Sight: White Dot
Rear Sight: Fixed 2-Dot
Grip: Polymer
Frame: Large
Finish: Black
Overall Length: 7 1/4"
Material: Polymer Frame/Melonite® Slide
Weight Empty: 24.7 oz.
Action: Double Action Only, Striker-Fire Action
I love Glocks (put a ton of rounds through a G17), which led me to this gun. Yes, I heard that early Sigmas had issues. All of the research I've done shows that the new ones do not.

CALIBER: 9mm
BARREL LENGTH: 3.6 inches
OVERALL LENGTH: 7 inches
AVERAGE WEIGHT: 32.6 ounces
CAPACITY: 15 (9mm)
GRIPS: Black Plastic
FINISH: Matte Black
SIGHTS: Fixed rear, removable blade front
Action: Double/single action
Safety: Ambidextrous safety lever
For those who aren't familiar with this piece, Stoeger is owned by Benelli, which is owned by Beretta. After Beretta gave up on the Cougar, they shipped all of the machining and tooling to Turkey. In other words, this gun is litterally the same piece that I coveted in 1995.

I have experience with a Baby Eagle, which led me to this piece.

--------------------

So, who has either? Who has both? Who has fired both?

I know that they are no different than other guns - some will say they are awesome and some will say they suck. Ultimately, I'm looking for real-world experience and review - not "My neighbor's uncle's cousin's stepdad loved/hated theirs."

I'm kinda in a jam. Both are priced similarly, both have great fit and finish, both feel great in my hand. The Sigma is a bit hard to find, but it's available (I have to pay transfer fees at my local FFL). S&W had a holiday sale for $50 off, but that expired...and one of their reps said he knew nothing of any new offers (otherwise I'd know which one to buy). I'm looking for any guidance to push me over the top!

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

you get what you pay for? but if you're determined to stick with the two of those then i'd definitely go with the S&W.

Stoeger is not Benelli or Beretta. i know they're owned by them, their websites look similiar, and some of their guns look the same, but they are not the same. if Kia or Hyundai made a JK i'm guessing you wouldn't buy it....
Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go with the All American S&W.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a sigma 40 back in like 2000 or 2001. I really wanted the glock, but I could afford the Sigma. It never jammed or anything, but it just was not the gun I wanted. The polymer of it felt more like a plastic toy than the Glocks tough polymer frame. They look better now than they did back then (mine had a stainless slide, which I think looks cheesy) and now it has better grips it looks like.

Are either of them the gun you really really really want? I should have saved up and got the gun I really wanted. Especially since it was only like $150 more. If these are two guns you really want I would go with the S&W, mine never malfunctioned and S&W has built Sigmas for like 15 years now I think so they must be alright.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help. Yes, I really like both pieces. I've drooled over both since they came out, but I can only buy one. Are they the best guns on the planet? Not likely, but they are functional and reliable. I like lots and lots of guns...it's kinda hard to pick an absolute favorite.

Both fit my hand very well. Both look like they are built well. Both have been given great reviews by online gun magazines. Both look great.

I've found the Sigma for $57.50 cheaper (out the door). If I'm lucky, S&W will offer up their $50 rebate, too.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Even if you found the Stoeger for $60 cheaper, I'd still vote S&W. In the long run it'll be a better choice.

S&W parts are more common, so replacement won't be an issue. It has a higher capacity, and unless I'm mistaken, it has the option for rear sight upgrades, where as the Stoeger doesn't.

Last edited by Recondo; 01-10-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Check out the Springfield Armory XD. You can find them on sale for around $425.00 and are awesome weapons for the price.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Recondo
Even if you found the Sigma for $60 cheaper, I'd still vote S&W. In the long run it'll be a better choice.

S&W parts are more common, so replacement won't be an issue. It has a higher capacity, and unless I'm mistaken, it has the option for rear sight upgrades, where as the Sigma doesn't.
Sigma is the S&W
Old 01-10-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
Sigma is the S&W
Haha. Yeah thanks. Fixed. I don't know why I, but I was thinking Sigma when I was trying to type Stoeger. It's been a long day. Haha.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RicoBlaster
Thanks for the help. Yes, I really like both pieces. I've drooled over both since they came out, but I can only buy one. Are they the best guns on the planet? Not likely, but they are functional and reliable. I like lots and lots of guns...it's kinda hard to pick an absolute favorite.

Both fit my hand very well. Both look like they are built well. Both have been given great reviews by online gun magazines. Both look great.

I've found the Sigma for $57.50 cheaper (out the door). If I'm lucky, S&W will offer up their $50 rebate, too.

Thanks again for the help.

If they are both guns o want, nothing wrong with that. I have a Keltec P32 that I LOVE! Some people think they are garbage. I wouldn't want it to be the only hand gun I own, but I carry it by itself sometimes and trust my life on it (now that it holds 10 rounds and still fits behind my wallet in my Levis I carry it more). just an hour ago I ran to the store and took it with me. Point is that the only person you have to make happy with the gun is you. Price does not always mean quality.

The sigma I had was one of the earlier ones and it never had one single problem. I think the one in that photo up there is a much nicer piece than what I had. The accessory rail and texture on the grip are both nice improvements. Like I said the only problem I had with mine was that I really wanted a Glock not a Sigma. Another drawback to me was I couldn't find a lot of .40 cal target loads where I lived back in 2000. If cost is a major importance to you I think 9mm is a smart choice. Any gun is worthless if you can't use it, and the more you can shoot your gun the more accurate and comfortable you will be with it.

Personally given those two choices, I would get the Sigma even though the grip on the Stoeger looks very comfortable. I know it has a lifetime warranty and it will be a reliable gun.

I don't know the exact price of those two... but have you looked at the Armalite AR-24? It is new, but it is based on the proven CZ-75. It is 9mm and holds 15 in the full size, and 13 in the compact. I am really thinking of buying one even though I really don't need another pistol. The tolerances are very tight and the gun seems very well made. Lifetime Warranty of course. You can buy one for just under $450. Just another option. Make sure you let us know what you pick and take a photo!!!

Quick Reply: Which One? Stoeger Cougar vs. S&W Sigma Allied Forces