Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

New AR15 in the New Year

Old 12-18-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AR15 in the New Year

looking to buy my first AR15. What should I be looking for. I am totally new to the AR world. I only have bolt action and lever rifles and pump shotguns for hunting but I would like to start target shooting more and have a good home defense weapon.

Two of the ones I looked at on line were the:
Sabre Defence XR-15 or the Bushmaster AR-15.
Both in .223.

I am in Downingtown PA so if anyone has any info on a good vendor please let me know. Was also looking for a range to join. Any information you can supply is greatly appreciated I know some on here are great resources in this area.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I b uilt my first one... and I think it is the only way to go. I have two more stripped lowers I am building the way I want too. One is going to be my first NFA class 3 firearm cause I am gonna build it as a short barrel rifle. They are super easy to put together (especially if you get a barreled upper) then it pretty much goes together like legos. You can buy the trigger you want in it, instead of replacing the trigger you bought in the original rifle and then paying for another... get the barrel you want, with the twist you want for the ammo you want to shoot... etc. Plus it is cheaper. For under $900 you can build an AR nicer than a 1200+ off the shelf one.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Building is easy, but buying gets you a functional rifle immediately.

Give John a call at Seneca Arms in Green Lane, PA. He always has a nice selection and isn't charging stupid prices.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

The AR world can seem overwhelming with the aftermarket options...kinda like Jeeps!

They're extremely versatile and customizable, so everybody likely has a unique opinion, which means there's a ton of info available. That's kind of a double-edged sword though, because weighing strangers' online opinions can be difficult.

Have you shot and liked any AR's?

Downingtown is pretty close to me, and I travel West of there often. If you find a place to shoot near you, I'll gladly provide an AR to shoot some afternoon, just send me a PM. That is, of course, if you can trust an online Jeepin' shooter!

But if you can't get out to try one and still want to buy, I'll echo both of these guys. Building one from scratch can get you exactly what you want right away, and buying one will get you one that fits together and works out of the box right away (no waiting for parts shipping).

I bought my first from a store rack, have shot several different brands/models, and someday would like to build like to build a longer model, maybe in .308, for kicks.

I guess it's like Jeeps. Once you have one, you want another that's a little different. And then another. And another...

But definitely let us know how the search is going! Glad to hear you're tapping into the AR market! Good luck.

Clayton
Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Jedi

oh btw... I have built 2 ARs now (with no training or help other than assembly guide on the interweb) both have run thousands of rounds flawlessly from the very first. Only failures have been from ceiner kits used with remington golden bullet 22s (they run great in my glock .22 kit) every thing else including wolf, golden bear, federal, etc 5.56 flawless from the first squeeze, and now the cieners run flawless too.

I just typed all that just incase you worry that if you build one you will have to tune it or something to run right. The only tricky part is if you put the barrel in the upper yourself. Then just use a headspace or "go/no go on it). I would just get a barrelled upper from someone like rock river or bushmaster or whoever you want. Same some bucks and get one from M-Aparts if you want. They all use wilson barrels. Like said above though, you will have to wait for the parts to come in if you build instead of just buying one off the shelf. I had my first lower a week before my parts and it ate me up. Worth the wait in the end though.

Oh... if you buy off the shelf you will likely get some type of warranty on the firearm as a whole. With individual parts you will likely have warranty on the seperate parts. I dunno. If you have $3k to spend get the FN SCAR. it is piston driven and cool as hell.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ar's are alot of fun to build and shoot..

Here's Mine:

Lower: Kaiser Defense...Built in San Diego..They are under military contract and make one of the better lowers you can buy right now...They also make lowers for some of the other main stream company's.
There are a ton of lowers on the market...Check a few out before you buy..There is a difference! Check out..Calguns.com.. Or Ar15.com..Tons of info on these boards

I hated the standard triggers....I bought a Timney 3 1/2 lb match trigger...Much better..

I'm left handed so I was limited on my upper choice...I went with a stag left handed 16" upper with a 1/9 twist...My buffer tube and stock are Mag Pul..My grip is Mag pul...I added an Ambi Safety.

For Sights I wanted a good Co witness system...I bought a nice Rockriver site that is a perfect match for My Eo tech red dot.

I have about $1,300 into this gun and I still need to add better foregrip.

Be carefull these guns are addicting..

Then I stocked up on 1,000 rds of Ammo .....I'm good to go.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

I got a killer deal on my smith and wesson M&P15 OR. It has all the features I was looking for (chrome lined barrel, chamber, and a flat top). I then put a set of Yankee Hill Machine BUIS and an Aimpoint red dot. It also has a 3x magnifier on a quick release mount

Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by racinfast002
I got a killer deal on my smith and wesson M&P15 OR. It has all the features I was looking for (chrome lined barrel, chamber, and a flat top). I then put a set of Yankee Hill Machine BUIS and an Aimpoint red dot. It also has a 3x magnifier on a quick release mount

What was the pricel? I picked up my M&P 15T during the rush for $1199-2mags + crappy plastic case.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the information guys. It seams overwhelming with so many options. I have not shot one so after the holidays I may send you a PM ClaytonT, thanks for the offer. There is a free state game land range at French Creek SP not to far from me.

As a said my safe is only filled with standard rifles and shotguns so this is very helpful.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's what it looks like:

Quick Reply: New AR15 in the New Year