Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.
View Poll Results: 30-06 or 308 and which scope?
30-06 w/ Leupold Scope
45.83%
30-06 w/ RedField Scope
0%
308 w/ RedField Scope
0%
308 w/ Leupold Scope
54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

need some input

Old 10-15-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd third the .338 or even an Rem 8mm mag, .375H&H or .300RUM of all things. You live in Alaska dude, been there many times. I don't leave home to head that way without my .375H&H Remington w/Leupold 2.5x8 vIII.

I've spent more time hunting deer in bear country to know that having a bigger hammer is always better, especially when things could go bad. And assure you, spend enough time out there and they eventually will. Bears sniffing your back side as you're trying to clean out a downed BlackTail isn't the best feeling.

Regardless of what you choose, buy the best ammo you can, put the time in at the range, and really get to know that weapon and where it shoots at various ranges.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnnyrigger,

Did you ever decide on a rifle? Let us know.

I have to agree with Dave here the .338 may be your best choice. But guns are tools you need one for every use. That is why most of us wind up with a safe full of various guns. I also agree with the new guy vtx make sure you are comfortable before taking a shot.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baldguy01
I'd third the .338 or even an Rem 8mm mag, .375H&H or .300RUM of all things. You live in Alaska dude, been there many times. I don't leave home to head that way without my .375H&H Remington w/Leupold 2.5x8 vIII.

I've spent more time hunting deer in bear country to know that having a bigger hammer is always better, especially when things could go bad. And assure you, spend enough time out there and they eventually will. Bears sniffing your back side as you're trying to clean out a downed BlackTail isn't the best feeling.

Regardless of what you choose, buy the best ammo you can, put the time in at the range, and really get to know that weapon and where it shoots at various ranges.
Interesting that you said the 8 Mag. Not a very popular caliber but it's what I shoot. I picked up a mint, almost new one with a Leupold 3-9 on it back in 85'. It's been a great gun, and I've killed most of AK's big game with it. Since I bought it I've installed a muzzle break and glass bedded it. It's a sweet shooter now. I reload 200 grn Nosler Partitions for it. It's been a good round....

Quick Reply: need some input