Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Mountain Lion Attacks Deer!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is info on mountain lions from the California Fish and Game site... http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/lion/lion_faq.html

I was surprised to find that there are 4000-6000 in the state. With something like 30 million people in the state, sightings are relatively rare. They avoid people.

I have spent a lot of time in remote areas of California. Never seen one but I am sure more than a few have seen me.

A guy on a mountain bike was killed by one in Orange county about 10 years ago I think.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H2SNV
We (fish & game club) host a wild game banquet every spring the cougar is always the first to be eaten. We have had Doug Janz the area biologist at our club meetings in the past if I remember the stats correctly he stated an adult cat will take down approx. 50 deer a year some will be consumed pretty well complete and others will be abandoned with very little taken.
In a previous post of mine we were discussing that a biologist had stated 1.5 per day, which I think we all agree that seemed off. With the number you stated (50 per year) that would average a little over 1 deer per week. The Biologist who was talking to me from California probable miss-spoke. Instead of 1.5 per day, he should have said 1.5 per week and that would be consistent to what your Biologist stated as being 50 per year. Regardless that is a lot of deer when you take into account how many deer are in your state. I would love to try and eat a Mountain Lion, but in the state of California I would be heavily fined as they are protected. It has been stated by Fish and Game that the Cat is not considered a protected species because they are not in danger of being wiped out, but they are protected under some BS law that was past to protect cats some years back.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default cougar

Quote:
"I would love to try and eat a Mountain Lion, but in the state of California I would be heavily fined as they are protected."

For your info:some people say Cougar tastes kind of like a cross between Spotted Owl and Bald Eagle

Actually some people say pork others say turkey I feel it is closest to turkey

Going to try to attach a pic. I mentioned earlier of a bear above the hatchery i was working on
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Orford hatchery bear.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	30337  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NTXJK
Wow that was a sweet video!

Quick Reply: Mountain Lion Attacks Deer!