Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Model 1100 Need Duck Advice...

Old 01-09-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For Steel I shoot improved modified it works best for my gun. now for a goose hunt with my Franchi i use a pattern master spin off full choke to reach out there
Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people over choke. Ask an outfitter or guide! The improved will better suit you. I assume you are a novice and the wider pattern will help you even more. Your ammunition choice will have a bigger impact than the choke. Test several different loads in each gun at 40yds. I shoot #2s at duck BBs at geese with a modified choke ina 28" SBEII. It works well. Many people will tell of great shot at >75yds and the like. Most ducks are killed at 40yds and under. I don't want to offend the long distance shooters as I have made a few but they are rarer than many would have you believe!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hayden911
I have a model 1100 that used to be my grandfathers. It had two barrels, one has "full" and the other had "imp cyl". Are either of these good for duck hunting? If not, what do I need to get?
personally i use the improved cylinder in my gun when duck hunting. it makes it throws a better pattern out there and i think you'll have a better chance to kill some ducks
Old 07-19-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeaNGreeNSaharA
If you're using steel (which you should be) stay away from full. It will blow your pattern. With my bennelli you can't even use the full with steel. Go with a modified it will serve you in all situations!
Old thread resurrection?

One more thought RE: Steel Shot ; If the shotgun is old enough to have fixed chokes the barrel may not be suitable for steel shot. The steel shot may score and damage the barrel. Most shotgun barrels rated for steel shot are chrome lined.

If the OP comes back to this thread please contact Remington with the serial number of the gun. They could tell you for sure. Could be a new modern barrel with Rem Chokes is the answer or maybe Grandfather's gun needs to become a upland game and dove shooter only.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is always alternative shot such as bismith if you're really set on the gun and the barrel isn't suited for steel shot but I believe it is.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SBEII
There is always alternative shot such as bismith if you're really set on the gun and the barrel isn't suited for steel shot but I believe it is.
Was just going to say the same thing!!

Quick Reply: Model 1100 Need Duck Advice...