Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Model 1100 Need Duck Advice...

Old 01-07-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model 1100 Need Duck Advice...

I have a model 1100 that used to be my grandfathers. It had two barrels, one has "full" and the other had "imp cyl". Are either of these good for duck hunting? If not, what do I need to get?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

I believe full choke will reach out farther while improved will have a bigger spread sooner. Unless I got it backwards. I'm typing on the drfoidand ltd on time.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The short answer to your question is "It depends on the weather.".

The barrel marked "Full" will have a tighter pattern than the "Improved Cylinder". If the weather is really clear you may be better served with the "Full" barrel and save the other for overcast days. Makes you really apprecaite interchangeable choke tubes doesn't it?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Jedi

Although I was taught to shoot with a modified shooting pheasants, I went with a 30' full choke for ducks, even tho I did shoot a lot of pheasants with it as well. Duck hunting is quite a bit different than upland game, and there is plenty of times where the full choke can reach out and touch them, where a modified, or even improved wouldn't. It really depends on the situation, meaning....shooting over deeks or pass shooting. Just remember, that if you go with a full choke, the pattern will be real tight up close, so it's easier to miss, as well as easier to make mince meat out of a bird as well should it take the full pattern too close. Nothing wrong with the Improved either tho. I've kind of been out of that game for awhile, but if I recall the improved is a little tighter than modified and not as tight as the full. Either choke will do you right.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I used to go duck hunting, the full choke was pretty much all anyone used. It just makes it more likely you are going to have something in range.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

For what it's worth...I work for Remington.

Having to choose between the two, it is most likely that Full choke will serve your needs better. The Improved cylinder spread is between Cylinder and Light Modified and is quite open. You could always buy more barrels

Happy Shooting.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

It depends on the gun. My shotgun holds a tight pattern anyway, so I usually shoot improved.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default full choke?

If you're using steel (which you should be) stay away from full. It will blow your pattern. With my bennelli you can't even use the full with steel. Go with a modified it will serve you in all situations!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MeaNGreeNSaharA
If you're using steel (which you should be) stay away from full. It will blow your pattern. With my bennelli you can't even use the full with steel. Go with a modified it will serve you in all situations!
That's right......I forgot all about that. Law is now you have to shoot steel for waterfowl. So you don't want to use a full choke and take the chance of bulging your barrel. But I have to ask.......hasn't steel shot come a long way in terms of buffers now? Does anybody shoot steel through a full?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it'll hurt the gun, but you're pattern won't stay tight, that's why they invented the pattern master, which I highly recomend.

Quick Reply: Model 1100 Need Duck Advice...