Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

In the market for AR-15

Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So check this story out. I went to buy an AR-15, the werent cheap at all. As a matter of fact they were so much that I ended up buying an AK-47. A cheap one, made by century arms. I took it home and after only 3 ROUNDS, it jammed (badly)! So I took it back and they told me to use remmington instead of wolf ammo. I took it home and gave it a shot and it still jammed. I had never heard of anything like this. So I took it back and after a whole lot of talking and discussing I ended up buying the Rock River AR-15. I pick it up monday. I am relived bc I think I made the right decision this time.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yetibear
I dislike weapon mounted lights, just never found it all that important to have.

wow! either you have not done much room clearing in low light conditions or you have one hell of a set of eyes!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 08JKsahara
So check this story out. I went to buy an AR-15, the werent cheap at all. As a matter of fact they were so much that I ended up buying an AK-47. A cheap one, made by century arms. I took it home and after only 3 ROUNDS, it jammed (badly)! So I took it back and they told me to use remmington instead of wolf ammo. I took it home and gave it a shot and it still jammed. I had never heard of anything like this. So I took it back and after a whole lot of talking and discussing I ended up buying the Rock River AR-15. I pick it up monday. I am relived bc I think I made the right decision this time.
JMO, but I think you made the right choice with the Rock River.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Congrats on your AR buy
Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silver rubicon
wow! either you have not done much room clearing in low light conditions or you have one hell of a set of eyes!
I am not an idiot, why would I clear a room, in the dark, when I can ambush from where I'm at? I am not in the military, I am not a cop, there is no reason for me to engage in room clearing. I'm not hunting any one I just don't want them to successfully complete their hunt.

I have done some training in low light, I've even got to play force on force in a dark fun house. Have you ever seen what a great aiming point that light makes when well trained shooters make minuscule tactical errors? What is going to happen when Johnny homeowner is a little lax in light discipline?

Besides,I wasn't the one to recommend a $400 flashlight as a 'must have'.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

congrats on getting the RRA! you just got over the first hurdle (getting that elusive lower receiver in your possession). the rest is the fun part--building it to your specs. as mentioned above, it's a lot like owning a jeep--you will probably end up putting a lot of money into it over the years getting it exactly the way you want it. but in order to avoid wasting money on useless gadgets you don't need, you first have to know what, exactly, you will be using it for. like i said before, if you will be using it for "real-life" close quarter defensive purposes, you will need a good light. if you are going to use it for 3 gun type competition, you will need something else (red dot sight, new trigger, etc). if you are into service rifle competition, then you definitely will need a new trigger and a free floating barrel. if it is just to play with on the range, then whatever looks cool is fine.

as for extra mags--if you can, avoid the mil-spec magazines and go with the HK or magpul mags--you will be better off.

good luck with your new project!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yetibear
I am not an idiot, why would I clear a room, in the dark, when I can ambush from where I'm at? I am not in the military, I am not a cop, there is no reason for me to engage in room clearing. I'm not hunting any one I just don't want them to successfully complete their hunt.

I have done some training in low light, I've even got to play force on force in a dark fun house. Have you ever seen what a great aiming point that light makes when well trained shooters make minuscule tactical errors? What is going to happen when Johnny homeowner is a little lax in light discipline?

Besides,I wasn't the one to recommend a $400 flashlight as a 'must have'.

LMAO! that is so true. one of the first things you get taught, brief light bursts!(this comes right after the "tracers work both" ways slap up side the head) and dismounted lights are sometimes a better tactical choice.

RRA makes some nice weapons, i wanted one, but ended up with a good deal on my bushie, so ended up with that.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

And friendly fire...ain't!

Congratulations.
That Rock River will serve you well for years to come. Have fun with it.

Now take what little money you have left, and spend it on a couple of real must haves. Get a few magazines, if you can find any, and remember, 5 D&H or NHMTG's beat ONE HundK every time. 3 MagPul's would be a close second. But even before you look for extra mags, go get a case of Wolf or Brown Bear, or Barnaul. Yeah I know, it's stinky and dirty, and you can't reload the steel cases. But it is cheap, and it works, and you can get a 1000 round case for almost the same as a 500 round case of Federal, or PMC. Get a lot of inexpensive ammo, a couple of inexpensive mags, be sure you have a good cleaning kit(#1 on the MUST have list) and go shoot the hell out of it.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

...I ended up buying an AK-47. A cheap one, made by century arms. I took it home and after only 3 ROUNDS, it jammed (badly)! So I took it back and they told me to use remmington instead of wolf ammo. I took it home and gave it a shot and it still jammed.
That was a smart move. An AK that won't shoot the steel cased ammo it was designed to shoot, in fact, an AK that won't shoot any correct ammo, right out of the box, will always be a dog.

A good AK, is the equal to a good AR, just different. You would have been happy with either, but this will be a good excuse to find a nice AK in the future, if we are granted permission.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

One question for you gents. I cant remember for the life of me of I bought a flat top or if it had the handle mounted on top ( i pick it up monday), if it does have the handle can I make it a flat top?

Quick Reply: In the market for AR-15