Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

looking to buy 9MM rifle

Old 11-06-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking to buy 9MM rifle

Im looking to buy a 9MM Rifle... my local gun shop has 2 brands, Hi-Point ($219) and caltech sp? ($349) Can anyone recommend me a decent brand or are these it????

Thanks...
Old 11-06-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9mil Rifle...GOOD GOD, WHY MAN, WHY???

other than that, I have heard, no first hand knowledge, that the high point is worth the 250 or so it costs, the other I know nothing at all.
Just one question,
GOOD GOD, WHY MAN, WHY???

seriously, I have heard some speak favorably about the High Point, well ok, they said it is better than their handguns.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy an AR with a 9mm upper. you'll spend more than $250 but you can interchange the upper to other calibers if you ever want to. i plan to get a 9mm upper after i get my SBR stamp. i want a 7" barrel
Old 11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yetibear, I dont know much about firearms... I have a ruger 10/22 that i use at an indoor range.. im looking to move up a bit while still being able to use the same range, they allow 22's and 9mm.

I cant get a pistol, i live in ny and its a PITA to get a permit.
In fact we still have that assault rifle ban here..

There is one outdoor range that I know of that allows .223's and the like, but their hours are horrible.

I found a bushmaster carbon 15 9mm.. maybe ill go with that, or talk to the guys down at the range to see if they have any experience with the hi-point..
Old 11-06-2008, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by racer83l

I live in NY too and have a permit. It's not all that bad of an ordeal to get one, just be ready to pony up about $135 or so. The biggest effort will be in getting your four character references signed up on your application and making sure they will submit the questionnaires that they will be sent after you submit your application. After that, you just have your fingerprints done and submit your app and money at that time. Then you just wait, our county is running 3 to 4 months. You will be required to take some sort of safety course, usually the NRA course is sufficient but that is an interesting and worthwhile course to take anyway. You should go for it and get the permit, you will never regret it. My wife has her's too and shoots at the range with me as does my son. My daughter will turn 21 in a year and she is already planning to take the safety course this summer so she will be ready to submit her application right after her birthday. Take the $250 you plan to spend on a 9mm rifle and put it toward your permit, it will be a better investment in the long run. To address your original question, my son has a Hi Point 9mm rifle he picked up used. It functions well and seems to be made okay but it ain't no target rifle and if you are shooting indoors you are obviously shooting at targets. Just my 2 cents but I think the permit would serve you well if you shoot on an indoor range.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

I had a 9mm AR-15 and it was a nice shooter for what it was.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

I believe kel tec makes an inexpensive 9mm rifle.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
I had a 9mm AR-15 and it was a nice shooter for what it was.
Nice. The HK's are even better.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racer83l
yetibear, I dont know much about firearms... I have a ruger 10/22 that i use at an indoor range.. im looking to move up a bit while still being able to use the same range, they allow 22's and 9mm.

There is one outdoor range that I know of that allows .223's and the like, but their hours are horrible.

I found a bushmaster carbon 15 9mm.. maybe ill go with that, or talk to the guys down at the range to see if they have any experience with the hi-point..
Hey, good answer. Just wanting it would have been an acceptable answer too, I have bought a number of guns just because I wanted them. Your reasons are more than good enough, you live in NY, and shoot at an indoor range that will allow a 9 mil carbine, nothing wrong with that.

And for around $200, hearsay is the High Point is not a bad shooter. It's nothing people wet themselves over, but it seems to be reliable and acceptably accurate.

Originally Posted by Leave Town
Nice. The HK's are even better.
The H und K motto:
"because you suck and we hate you..."
http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/20...d-we-hate-you/

Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

I have a Keltec 40.cal sub rifle 2000. This also comes in a 9 mm version. They are well built, use handgun loads, and more importantly can use most popular handgun magazines in them. It folds in half at the base of the barrel to 16 " in length. I have used mine with 3 shot groups using the stock sites at 90-100 yards with resulting 3-6 inch groups. It is an inexpensive weapon but has very good reliability. I paid like 290 dollars for mine when I was looking at an AR 15 and AK47 types.

For the money you really can't go wrong...althought that is IMHO.

Quick Reply: looking to buy 9MM rifle