Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

LMT rifles

Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMT rifles

I am looking at buying an LMT CQB MRP Defender 16 in .223, does anyone out there have any trigger time with one of these??
This will be my first AR, I have shot the Smith M&P, and Bushmaster rifles, both real good systems, but just wanted a more mil-spec set up, so as not to have to upgrade as quickly....
I plan on using this rifle for everything from plinking, varmint/predator hunting & home defense, to tactical training and Zombie killing...
Any input would be welcomed...
Thanks...
Old 07-15-2010, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

No Trigger time, but i have heard nothing but great things about LMT.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

I have, they are good guns. I would recommend you look into Bravo Company, Larue and of course Colt if you want a true mil spec gun.

My preference is Bravo Company, they are equal or superior to Colt in quality IMHO. AR15.com is a great resource.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fergusonv
I have, they are good guns. I would recommend you look into Bravo Company, Larue and of course Colt if you want a true mil spec gun.

My preference is Bravo Company, they are equal or superior to Colt in quality IMHO. AR15.com is a great resource.
I have looked at the Colt, great rifle, I have not searched the other two, I'll do that... thanks for the heads up...
I just like the look and feel of the LMT, have not shot the Colt, solid and well regarded!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Go with the LMT you cant beat it. I have had mine for couple of years now. Ready to go get the new 308 they just came out with.

Once you get the BRD it is impossible to get rid of. They are like Jeeps, you can personalize the crap out of it. Get it and don't look back.:thumbs up:

J
Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

I have an LMT upper on a STAG lower. It's top quality. I have a BCM upper that is very tight. I have a STAG that is of superior quality. Buy a quality, made in USA lower and outfit it with the parts you like. Highly recommend the mid-length gas system w/ a 1/7 twist. You can shoot the heavier bullets with better results.

This is a 6.8 SPC STAG w/MI free float rail, AIMPOINT M3 w/3X magnifier.... It's my Zombie Killer....
Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

LMT or Colt, both great rifles.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Default LMT, thumbs up

I have had my LMT Defender with a 10.5' barrel and have had no issues with it. Shoots good and very reliable. Mine is chambered for 5.56 and not .223. The only issue I had is with some lower velocity frangible ammunition, on the last round the bolt catch would not engage the bolt and keep it to the rear. I changed brands and it now works flawlessly.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMT is WAAAAAAAAAAAY over priced period. (great Gun)...Do yourself a huge favor and build your own..You can build an M4 in about 30 minutes once you have the parts..If you have any problems just check out Youtube for the complete HOW TO.

All the major players build great uppers and lowers, Throw in a nice trigger system, Timney etc..Magpul stock and grip, a Quad rail up front. Then add an Eotec or Acog and your set..

Once your done you will have a weapon you can be proud of and you'll have a complete understanding of how it fuctions. JMHO..

What ever you decide....M4's are a blast to shoot..You'll be reloading Next and if the bug hits hard you'll build a few more..
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Cost of peace of mind

Who ever said the LMT's are way overpriced is correct, if you want to use it as a casual plinker. If your life or someone else's depends on the rifle going "bang" instead of "click" or "BOOM" then I'd still go with LMT. What you are paying for with higher priced brands like LMT or even for that matter, Colt, Colt (Canada), or even Knight Armament is peace of mind through their rifles passing the rigours of milspec testing and compliance.

Not to knock any manufacturer, but if your bolts are not shot relieved and then MPT'd then they do not meet milspec standards and could have issues of locking lugs breaking. Having a barrel in .223 is fine for the casual shooter but this will limit you so that you can not use 5.56 ammo. Yes there is a difference, 5.56 barrels can use .223. You can use 5.56 ammo in .223 but I would not recommend it as the projectile seating is different which will lead to higher and unsafe chamber pressures.

Quick Reply: LMT rifles