Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

just ordered my christmas gift... S&W MP 15-22

Old 12-20-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just ordered my christmas gift... S&W MP 15-22

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/mp15-22/mp15-22.jpg

I just ordered this today and can't wait to get it!! They are shipping to a local FFL dealer and I'm hoping to have it before christmas or soon after. Any of you guys own or shoot these at all?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have one and love it. You can shoot is all day for 20 bucks. One thing to consider, since I assume it is used, smith and wesson had a reacall on the bolt of these. Unfortunately i did not know this when i bought mine and a round exploded in the chamber. You can tell if the recall has been fixed by taking the bolt out and look at the spring at the top, if it is blue you are good, if black go see your local dealer and see about having it fixed. Another thing, and im not sure if this is fixed with the new spring or is just a characteristic of the gun when i first got mine i had subsonic rounds (lower feet per second) and they did not produce enough recoil to push the bolt back far enough to lock which resulted in multiple rounds fired (3 to 6 shots with 1 pull of the trigger) which is kinda cool if you know it is going to happen, not so much if you don't. All that being said, i still love it and do not regret getting it at all. Shoots straight as sh!t and is cheap win win.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lari88
Have one and love it. You can shoot is all day for 20 bucks. One thing to consider, since I assume it is used, smith and wesson had a reacall on the bolt of these. Unfortunately i did not know this when i bought mine and a round exploded in the chamber. You can tell if the recall has been fixed by taking the bolt out and look at the spring at the top, if it is blue you are good, if black go see your local dealer and see about having it fixed. Another thing, and im not sure if this is fixed with the new spring or is just a characteristic of the gun when i first got mine i had subsonic rounds (lower feet per second) and they did not produce enough recoil to push the bolt back far enough to lock which resulted in multiple rounds fired (3 to 6 shots with 1 pull of the trigger) which is kinda cool if you know it is going to happen, not so much if you don't. All that being said, i still love it and do not regret getting it at all. Shoots straight as sh!t and is cheap win win.
Yea I've been researching it for the past 3 hours or so (along with looking at different accessories I want) and I've found that if the spring is blue I'm good to go. That's the first thing I'll check when I break it down and clean it when It gets here. Also I've read that Federal bulk ammo and CCI are the best to shoot through it. Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Cant wait to start shooting myself!!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lari88
Re-reading your post, I ordered mine brand new from woodbury outfitters (398.99 + shipping & FFL fees) so fingers crossed that the spring is already taken care of. We're going out to the camp the day after christmas & I won't have time to take it to a shop.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrivejeep
Re-reading your post, I ordered mine brand new from woodbury outfitters (398.99 + shipping & FFL fees) so fingers crossed that the spring is already taken care of. We're going out to the camp the day after christmas & I won't have time to take it to a shop.
Ya I am pretty sure it shouldn't be an issue if buying new.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another thing that you need to check (and this is what was actually causing the problems) is your extractor. When you pop your bolt out just take a look at your extractor, you should have a little knob on it that keeps it from rotating. The problem was the mixture of OOB (inherent design flaw with all Atchinson type systems) and a rotating extractor, this would make your extractor assembly blow out of the bolt during an OOB.

Old Extractor Plunger (you can see that the plunger is round with nothing to keep it from spinning):

New Extractor Plunger:

If you do some stoning and polishing on your bolt you will find that it will have no problem shooting the Subsonic Target Ammo. One thing that you will want to do though is make sure to clean the chamber every so often. A dirty chamber (which quickly happens in rimfire firearms) will lead to many problems, including FTE and FTL.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of mine covering the last couple of years/changes.

How she sits now.

Best group shot at ~30 Yards with Wolf Match MT

Edit: If you have any questions about it, or how to polish and where, then just let me know. I think I still have all the photos from a write up I did for a very large rimfire forum.

Last edited by Imrahil; 12-20-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Imrahil
Another thing that you need to check (and this is what was actually causing the problems) is your extractor. When you pop your bolt out just take a look at your extractor, you should have a little knob on it that keeps it from rotating. The problem was the mixture of OOB (inherent design flaw with all Atchinson type systems) and a rotating extractor, this would make your extractor assembly blow out of the bolt during an OOB.

Old Extractor Plunger (you can see that the plunger is round with nothing to keep it from spinning):

New Extractor Plunger:

If you do some stoning and polishing on your bolt you will find that it will have no problem shooting the Subsonic Target Ammo. One thing that you will want to do though is make sure to clean the chamber every so often. A dirty chamber (which quickly happens in rimfire firearms) will lead to many problems, including FTE and FTL.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of mine covering the last couple of years/changes.

How she sits now.

Best group shot at ~30 Yards with Wolf Match MT

Edit: If you have any questions about it, or how to polish and where, then just let me know. I think I still have all the photos from a write up I did for a very large rimfire forum.
Thanks for the tips. When it comes in I'll disassemble it and check to make sure the bolt is correct. If it gives me problems I'll look into polishing the bolt. In my step-dad'll old semi auto .22 we use remington bulk and from what I hear this gun HATES that junk so I picked up a box of Blazer 40 grain which I heard shoots much better.

Looks like you've pimped out your 15-22 well

If you don't mind sharing, which grip do you have installed & did you custom paint the mag?
Also, for colored lettering did you crayon it like I saw on youtube? If you did how does it hold up?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

The grip is a Hogue Overmold. Every AR-15 I own except one has this grip, I just can't justify getting away from them except on my long range competition rifle.

I Duracoated the mags to match. Really easy to do, and now you can buy a lot of the Duracoat colors in a rattle can making it even easier.

The lettering and logo was done with Testors enamel. Basically you want to dilute a little enamel with some thinner, so that it is almost at a milk consistency (not quite water). Get a fine tip brush and use that to just put one drop on the lettering, rock your receiver back and forth making the enamel run down filling it all. Let it sit for 15 or so minutes and then use CLP and/or Thinner to wipe off the excess. Don't forget to clean your receiver before applying it though, just like any other paint. The reason I didn't go with Crayon or Brownells Lacquer-Stik is because they both tend to dry out and crack after some time. Of course if it does dry out you can always just reapply it, easy as pie.

One tip if you use the crayon (though your can't find a good set of "military" colors, remember that Testors makes colors for US military so it will match any furniture you buy) is to hit the receiver pretty hard with a hair dryer to help draw out any moisture, then hit the crayon for a little while to soften it up slighty. Rub the crayon on nice and thick, let it cool and then hit the receiver again with the hair dryer for just a little while. Moisture will be your main enemy with the crayon approach.

Edit: No reason to disassemble the bolt. To check your extractor plunger just look at it from the outside. You can clearly see the knob from the side while it is still assembled. The springs are also very easy to check because if the recoil spring is blue then they all are the updated springs.

If you are planning on doing any polishing just make sure and start with a high grit paper. It will take longer, but it will remove less paper. Unfortunately the Atchinson bolt design can be picky about its tolerances. The only part that you really need to worry about pilishing is on the bolt carrier itself. Here is a decent enough picture, just do some light polishing on the rails if you feel like it isn't running smoothly enough. Here is a decent enough picture.

Last edited by Imrahil; 12-21-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: just ordered my christmas gift... S&W MP 15-22