Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

High end gun safes

Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High end gun safes

I am about to, I think, buy a Browning Platinum PP47 gun safe. This is their top of the line product so the price is....well a lot. Mostly just debating out loud here but I hope someone here has done the research to say if you are paying for the Browning name and can get just a well-made safe from a different brand. If so pls let me know. I'm being lazy here I guess. I need to make up mind this week. There is an 6-8 week lead time so I need to order now to have it by Christmas.

I was always told that locks are for the honest man. Meaning if a criminal wants to break in they will. But I have quite a lot of guns and don't even have them well hide in my house. If any common burglary was to happen they would be gone in a heartbeat. But even at that, being a fabricator, these "safes" are 3/16" plate steel. Hell, they could go fire up my cutting torch and cut out the side of this box and get to anything inside. I guess you are relying on the criminal doing very hasty break-in and not wanting to actually work for the bounty. And there is always fire protection.

My question I guess has anyone else out there bought a safe recently and can I get a better product for less? I usually don't go for looks, just practicality, but to get the maximum protection all the "luxury" options like cedar, light, mirror, and leather lined are in this baby. I'm thinking cherryblack with the muley scene.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PP47Fintl.jpg
Views:	3958
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	32306  

Last edited by toymaster; 11-02-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:06 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know anything about the browning safes, but i have an "American Security" ( amsecusa.com ) safe that i am very pleased with, and the price was reasonable.

1/4" plate, fireproof, and seals well against moisture.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check on these. These are very tough and the owners can customize them as needed. He has a patent on the locking mechanism and can offer a key pad that is magnetic and can be removed.

http://www.sagebrushsafes.com/
Old 10-22-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robar
Check on these. These are very tough and the owners can customize them as needed. He has a patent on the locking mechanism and can offer a key pad that is magnetic and can be removed.

http://www.sagebrushsafes.com/
Those look like some damn nice safes. In your neck of the woods, too.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

I've got a Liberty "Presidential" Safe & love it!!!

Got it for $1600 new & they normally go for $2400.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:48 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the replies. After a little research I've decided to go with the PP47.
Below I have pasted part of a review I found .

The Browning Platinum Plus Gun Safe is probably the best gun safe on the market right now. I love this safe but sadly I can’t afford this thing. It costs almost five grand and has a ton of bells and whistles that I just can’t see myself needing. But, if you’re looking for the top of the line fireproof safe and have the budget to blow on something like this, I would really make you consider the Browning Platinum Plus.
The first thing I noticed about this safe was the beautiful high gloss enamel finish. The manufacturers of this piece of hardware really took the time to craft an attractive safe with game scenes, scroll designs, and gold plated spoke handles. You can even get these babies made to order if you’re willing to wait a few weeks for it to arrive.

Gonna order it now, got to have a "safe" place for my new zombie hunter
Old 10-25-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I see you've made your choice already, but I'm partial to Fort Knox safes myself.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think Browning safes are made by Browning. I think when I was doing research on purchasing mine that they are actually made by a larger safe manufacturer for Browning. The name escapes me of the larger company though. In the end I purchased a Browning (not the high end one you are looking at) but because it was on sale. If it helps I really like mine.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pookie
I don't think Browning safes are made by Browning. I think when I was doing research on purchasing mine that they are actually made by a larger safe manufacturer for Browning. The name escapes me of the larger company though. In the end I purchased a Browning (not the high end one you are looking at) but because it was on sale. If it helps I really like mine.
Did a little more research. Prosteel makes all Browning safes as well as other brands. They are in Provo, Utah. Small company that employees 90 people. Of course I found a few complaints but they all seemed to be on the lower end of line and only on the paint quality. Seems that Prosteel "farms" out some of the line to China, the way of the world now. The higher end of the line is made in Provo, not sure at which model this starts.

As with some of the high-end safes you get a lifetime replacement including shipping charges for damage of fire or burglary to the orginal purchaser for anything not covered by your insurance. Also, this does not cover contents. Seems to be a good investment to me.

I'm not to far from Provo so the low shipping cost, no tax, warranty, plus found a decent price from a guy in washington state. Made it seem like the best way to go. He sells out of his home too so customer service is high. If anyone else is in the market PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

Found this commercial, made me laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3D9d...eature=related
Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 AM
JK Freak

Default arrrghh

OK I ordered the safe I wanted last week. It happened to be the last week to order a safe to get it before the plant shuts down for a week after christmas. So I'm really happy it worked out. Everything was golden except they quit making the scene selection i really wanted on the front, the mountain scene.

So any way I was looking at the browning site this weekend and it had been updated.....low and behold they have a new bigger platinum model now (8"wider) AND the mountain scene is back. Now for the really sad part once an order is place there is no changing it. Not that I would get the bigger one but I would really like to have the mountain scene.

Reminds me of the old days when you only saw the new stuff when it showed up at the buying place......now like with the jeeps you know almost 6 months before.

I don't mean to be gripping but things like this just make me go
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PP56Fm.jpg
Views:	1187
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	32358   Click image for larger version

Name:	PP56Fintm.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	32359  

Quick Reply: High end gun safes