Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Handguns in Chicago, Ill.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handguns in Chicago, Ill.

I'm planning a trip to Chicago Ill. I live in Texas, where I have a CHL. Does anyone have any information on handgun carry in Ill? I know states neighboring Ill do have reciprocity with Texas, but will be a few hours from my relatives. So if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate some feedback.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Illinois will not recognize your concealed carry permit. Illinois honors no other state's carry permits, and no state honors theirs. From what I understand, getting one as a resident is not easy. They do allow open carry, but only for hunting.
If you have to be in Illinois, best to pack the gun away unloaded, and locked. I don't think for simple transport within the state, you would need the Illinois FOIB card by what I can find.

Chicago is a whole other can of worms when it comes to handguns....illegal to possess one without it being registered with the Chicago Police department....could be looking at some jail time if caught with one.

So if possible, best to leave the gun in another state. Or skip Illinois altogether

For more details, see:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Last edited by Area-51; 02-11-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be a big NO at this time. There is a case in the supreme court right now about it. NO ONE can have a handgun in the city. A quick google and you'll see what i'm taking about. The city has said the bill of rights do not apply to them and everyone is opposed to it because it opens the door for any gov't, state, city, or county to pick and choose was federal law applies to them. Even the anti-gun crowd is opposed to this.

What if a state could say FU the fed gov't about equal rights, etc.?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by toymaster
That would be a big NO at this time. There is a case in the supreme court right now about it. NO ONE can have a handgun in the city.
you mean nobody but the bad guys.........right?.....lol
Old 02-15-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Being from Texas myself, why the heck do you even want to go to Chicago?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Didn't Frisco try the handgun ban and it got overturned? Stinkin Liberals...
Old 02-15-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I think there was an incident recently where there were some teens running around one night shooting each other up with soft pellets and the police were called. It was nighttime and dark. The police arrived at the scene and saw what could have been "real firearms" being pointed around and came close to shooting one of them.

They tried to ban them because they look real. But kids see them as toys not realizing that someone else, unkowing that they are toys, might feel threatened with their life.

In Texas we have the Castle Doctrine that states if you feel your life is in danger from a perceived threat, that you are entitled to defend yourself using deadly force if necessary. It can be in your home, in your vehicle or in public.

Other that some orange tip on some of these "toys", they can look real, especially when unexpectedly being pointed at you. I think the attempted ban was to try to prevent some stupid kids from getting shot.

Texas is a very pro-gun state. Many of the CHL instructors are Police Officers.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Planning a trip to go visit family on my wifes' side. We may end up staying just outside Chicago and drive to our final destination without my handgun.

Originally Posted by txspud
Being from Texas myself, why the heck do you even want to go to Chicago?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXEMT
Planning a trip to go visit family on my wifes' side. We may end up staying just outside Chicago and drive to our final destination without my handgun.
If it was me I’d have a case or lock box for it, just unload the pistol and leave it in the cargo area of the vehicle.

Transporting one in the USA is not against the law. That area for right now just has it so no one can have a loaded firearm on their person. Also, even if that area had CCW and did not reciprocate with yours that is what you would have to do any way.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TXEMT
Toy master is right. Just follow the local laws. It is not illegal to own or transport.... not yet anyway.

Quick Reply: Handguns in Chicago, Ill.