Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Gun safe shopping

Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkJck
No one's brought this up but 1 other minor thing to think about _after_ you're pretty sure which safe you want to get.

If your safe will be somewhere damp -- basement, garage or even inside your house in some locales -- you need to deal with humidity inside the safe (& even condensation when there are quick temperature changes).

The 2 usual ways to do this are either a moisture absorber that you swap out periodically or a low-wattage bulb turned on inside the safe all the time.

Examples of the former are the Eva-Dry 500. May last a month or more inside an infrequently opened safe (YMMV) between "recharging" then use the built in AC plug to dry it out again (10-15 hrs depending on ambient humidity).

For the light bulb approach, almost all manufacturers can provide a hole for AC cord in non-fire safes & some will also offer for their fire safes. The hole is only big enough for the cord -- you wire it up afterwards. DO PLAN AHEAD -- you don't want to be moving the beast after installation so you can get back there to run a cord.

HTH!
I have a big old "patriot" safe made by canyon and it has a double duplex recpticale in the wall of the safe and the cord is already hangin out the back. This is a fire rated safe with no holes. The safe comes like this from the factory. You can plug in de-humidifyers or lights ....etc.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

also check out cheaper than dirt. alot of my gun stuff is done through them. fast shipping and no complaints.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bloodhound351
Check out Lowes. they have liberty safes reasonably priced.
Liberty safes and National security are definitely top of the line. 2.5 fire rate and lifetime warranty!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 24 gun Liberty that works well for my purposes. I think I paid ~$800 as a clearance item from Liberty direct.

One bit of advice, figure out what size you want and DOUBLE it! I'm wishing I had spent a few extra bucks for the next size up (or 2 sizes up!!).

A nice safe is a great investment.

Jeff
Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 PM
JK Newbie

I have a liberty fat boy safe. It holds up to 64 guns and also has spare shelving in it.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Liberty safe and love it. I live about 30 minutes from were both Liberty and Cannon safes are made so I got to look at both first hand before I bought mine. Just like the security features I got with the Liberty safe better.

Also a tip for moving the safe if you get one of the big ones is use golf balls to roll the safe on. Another thing is select the place you want to put the safe wisely. they are no fun moving once you have them in place.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

I bought a Heritage safe. I can't remember why I went heritage over liberty. I paid between 1800.00 and 2000.00 for mine. It's been several years since I bought mine so I can't remember the exact price.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question: how do golf balls hold up? My liberty is over 1300lbs, does it roll good or would it squash the balls?

Quick Reply: Gun safe shopping