Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Gun safe shopping

Old 01-09-2012, 03:57 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a fire proof safe from a safe from a local safe company 1,800 lbs., took out the metal shelves that were in it and built my own interior. It cost me a $1,000. for the safe holds 22 rifles and 16 pistols.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input!

Love the fort nox and sturdy but at my price I can't justify the cost. Dont own any high dollar guns. I will end up spending close to 2000 which is way more then my initial budget. At my price range I have noticed the name brand safes are around the same size for what you get.

Keep the ideas coming, I really don't know anyone with a safe so the input is nice.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stockrubi
Thanks for all the input!

Love the fort nox and sturdy but at my price I can't justify the cost. Dont own any high dollar guns. I will end up spending close to 2000 which is way more then my initial budget. At my price range I have noticed the name brand safes are around the same size for what you get.

Keep the ideas coming, I really don't know anyone with a safe so the input is nice.
If your on a budget and don't own Parkers, you may not need a safe, but a lockable cabinet.
Unless you're up against Ocean's 11, the cabinets such as the Stack-On line will keep anyone out foolish enough to try.
They are much thicker than a filing cabinet, with near plate thickness. Check out Gander Mountain online.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

I was looking for a LONG time and ended up with a cannon wide body from Costco. It was on sale for 699 with free shipping. It is big enough for me and weighs a ton. I suggest keeping and eye on their site and ordering on from there. . Oh and mine weighs around 750# it is a beast.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Lowes has some safes too. I have not looked at them too closely, but they looked ok. Make sure you get a fire proof, you won't regret it should something go wrong. Don't pay extra for lighting kits, you can make your own using rope light you can find near Christmas decorations.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Xodius
I was looking for a LONG time and ended up with a cannon wide body from Costco. It was on sale for 699 with free shipping. It is big enough for me and weighs a ton. I suggest keeping and eye on their site and ordering on from there. . Oh and mine weighs around 750# it is a beast.
I got one from there. Mines a big horn I think the name of it. I love it and would highly recommend it.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

I underestimated the weight of it but still got it upstairs. Had to weld up a deadman but it worked. Only took about 2 hours to get it up 25 stairs lol. I actually wished my stairs lined up with a window, then I would have run my winch line threw it and done it that way. Oh well it is locked and loaded now.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

PS - the cabinets bolt to the floor and wall from inside. Primarily, their weakness is the keyed paddle style lock system, versus a pin system. However, it would take quite a while to wedge a tool and pry the door open enough to get a bar inside to attempt flaring the paddle. Really, I can't see anyone opening the door without having a half hour or more to work on it. With it bolted to the floor and wall, its permanently stationary.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

Check out Lowes. they have liberty safes reasonably priced.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:49 PM
JK Newbie

No one's brought this up but 1 other minor thing to think about _after_ you're pretty sure which safe you want to get.

If your safe will be somewhere damp -- basement, garage or even inside your house in some locales -- you need to deal with humidity inside the safe (& even condensation when there are quick temperature changes).

The 2 usual ways to do this are either a moisture absorber that you swap out periodically or a low-wattage bulb turned on inside the safe all the time.

Examples of the former are the Eva-Dry 500. May last a month or more inside an infrequently opened safe (YMMV) between "recharging" then use the built in AC plug to dry it out again (10-15 hrs depending on ambient humidity).

For the light bulb approach, almost all manufacturers can provide a hole for AC cord in non-fire safes & some will also offer for their fire safes. The hole is only big enough for the cord -- you wire it up afterwards. DO PLAN AHEAD -- you don't want to be moving the beast after installation so you can get back there to run a cord.

HTH!

Quick Reply: Gun safe shopping