Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Getting into bows and have some questions

Old 10-26-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo jk
Thats alot of info, and you did bring up a good point AK4dave i think it would be best to learn off a long bow at first if i wanna become a good shooter even though it will take longer to use but thats fine with me plus i like the simplicity of them. Now im guessing getting into bows is like everything else we do: Addictive, Expensive, and we are constantly wanting the newer and improved version/Mods of the old stuff. Hmmm sounds like something else i own.....
Well it's not that you can't become a "good shooter" with a compound, and if you start with good basics, you can get pretty proficient fairly soon. It's just a different style of shooting altogether. One has you learn holdover instinctively, and the other you depend on sight pins. There is a HUGE difference.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Well it's not that you can't become a "good shooter" with a compound, and if you start with good basics, you can get pretty proficient fairly soon. It's just a different style of shooting altogether. One has you learn holdover instinctively, and the other you depend on sight pins. There is a HUGE difference.
I guess the best way to figure out which one i like the best would be to shoot both
Old 10-27-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so I re read. Initial op's ? and missed the part about not an avid hunter. Compounds are great for hunting and comp shooting but that is a path that will eventually have you wanting to up grade to some crazy and expensive technology. If your looking to learn instinct shooting, the art of bow shooting, comp shooting, and eventually hunting with a long bow or recurve that is a whole different game. Bow Shooting in pure form of stick and string can be very spiritual almost meditative it requires practice, discipline, and patience to be prolific. They both have their rewards happy shooting
Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One to see is kuydo amazing shooting style from japan.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should go by a archery shop and get your draw length measured. You want to make sure you get the right size bow and arrows regardless of which type you pick.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

To me recurves and longbows are a lot more fun. It's a real challenge at first, but it's fun and very rewarding. I really like traditional archery. That's not to knock compounds though.

Jason
Old 10-27-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Jason_G
To me recurves and longbows are a lot more fun. It's a real challenge at first, but it's fun and very rewarding. I really like traditional archery. That's not to knock compounds though.

Jason
Exactly....I too have absolutely NOTHING against compounds, but I just fell in love with the idea of instinctive shooting. As Byron Ferguson said......"Become the arrow." Another real good book is: "Instinctive Shooting" by Fred Asbell.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

To the OP, I would agree a real bowshop is probably your best bet. There are some good bows at Cabelas, but the staff may not be up to par to help you. In the Dallas area there are several good bow shops. If you are driving in from the west, an hour south of I20 near Stephenville TX is Pigeon Road sporting goods. As far as recurve vs compound, it's all personal. I started with compounds and I am very proficient with them. I can't shoot a recurve for %^&*. I am going to learn someday, but it is a totally different game altogether. Good luck, whichever you choose I bet you will be addicted after the first few shots!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cosmo jk
Soo i'm heading over to texas next week and i plan on going to cabela's for some camping stuff and a bow. I'm fairly new to the bow seen soo i got a few questions for you experts out there. First off since im not a serious hunter i've been debating which kind of bow to buy: a Compound bow or a Re-Curve/Long bow. I understand that the long bows are cheaper but i feel they dont preform as well as a compound bow will, then again no experience with either. I've found both types of bows for my budget(which is around $300-400) I would just like some input on which brands are good and what to look for. Thanks for future replys
So Cosmo jk... just wonderin, what did you end up going with?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JK jeepin
So Cosmo jk... just wonderin, what did you end up going with?
I bet he hasn't made up his mind yet.....lol

Quick Reply: Getting into bows and have some questions