Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

A few questions on deciding on a rifle

Old 10-31-2009, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
There's no doubt the 7.62x39 has more mass, as the average weight is 124gr. for a FMJ, whereas the .223 is 55gr. The velocity is higher with the .223 at 2854 at 100yds and 2487 at 200, as compared to 2030 at 100yds and 1780 at 200 for the 7.62.
There is no dispute the AR round is far more acurate, at both 100 and 200.
As for penitration, since we are not engaging an armored vehicle, but rather a paper target, who cares?
The OP is new into the gun world, and wants to get a nice rifle with a budget of around $600. With that said, I would not even be looking for an AR due to the cost, or anything that shoots .223 due to the cost of the ammo. The AK would be the better choice, as it is far less to purchase, as is the ammo.
For the AK and say 500 rounds of cheap ammo, we are talking about $600 -$700, right about budget.
Now if we look at the HighPoint 995TS, we are looking at a $250 carbine. No it's not going to be as acurate as the AK at 100 yds, but then again with a $100 red dot scope, 100 yds is not that far away once sighted in. As for the ammo the 9mm is one of the least expensive centerfire rounds, 600 rounds can be had for about $150-$200 for a total cost of $500-$600 for all, right at budget.
In addition, the 9mm can also be a very effective HD weapon as it is short and light, however now we're getting into another area, that the OP may or may not be interested in.
For the budget listed and a very fun to shoot weapon, my choice would be either the AK or the HighPoint, and seeing that the later is only 50% the cost of an AK, I know what I would purchase.
Very useful input, I finally got to check out an AK in person today and must say I like the feel of it a lot. I still want to see the Hi-Point in person as well before I make a definite decision but I like the idea of the better accuracy of the AK
Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Thanks guys, sounds like both of you are getting what im looking for pretty well, and to answer your question yes I will be using it at a range 99.9% of the time time o go investigate some of these
be mindful of your states laws.... if you go the ak or ar15 route, you will be restricted to a 10 round mag there. WASR makes a single stack 10 round and a couple AR companies offer a fixed mag weapon too.

Personally, I would go for an SKS (anything but yugoslavian) and you will be set. 7.62x39
Old 11-04-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07JKX
be mindful of your states laws.... if you go the ak or ar15 route, you will be restricted to a 10 round mag there. WASR makes a single stack 10 round and a couple AR companies offer a fixed mag weapon too.

Personally, I would go for an SKS (anything but yugoslavian) and you will be set. 7.62x39
Yea good point about the state laws.
And the SKS is also a good choice. It's probably a bit more accurate than an AK as it'ss a bit longer and more like a hunting rifle, and it uses a two-piston recoil system. This helps tame the recoil down some.
I used to have a Chinese Norinco SKS paratrooper model, but got rid of it, it was a pretty good carbine but not nearly as fun to shoot as the AK.
Here's a pretty good buy. A bunch of the guys on PAFOA, have purchased through this company and are pretty happy. They are made by Saiga.
http://www.k-var.com/shop/pages.php?pageid=25
The SGL21 series are nice rifles. Here's an example of one in plum.
Click image for larger version

Name:	d_1276.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	32417
In addition they make a nice shotgun in .410 which I'm trying to talk muself into, as it would make a nice HD weapon.

Name:	d_1224 shotgun.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	32418
Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Yea good point about the state laws.
And the SKS is also a good choice. It's probably a bit more accurate than an AK as it'ss a bit longer and more like a hunting rifle, and it uses a two-piston recoil system. This helps tame the recoil down some.
I used to have a Chinese Norinco SKS paratrooper model, but got rid of it, it was a pretty good carbine but not nearly as fun to shoot as the AK.
Here's a pretty good buy. A bunch of the guys on PAFOA, have purchased through this company and are pretty happy. They are made by Saiga.
http://www.k-var.com/shop/pages.php?pageid=25
The SGL21 series are nice rifles. Here's an example of one in plum.
Attachment 32417
In addition they make a nice shotgun in .410 which I'm trying to talk muself into, as it would make a nice HD weapon.
Attachment 32418
I like that a lot! wow, slightly larger caliber too, time to get back to research
Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, So Cal tay12.

Here's your problem..You live in COMMIFORNIA..The land of Liberal fruits and nuts.

You are VERY limited on what you can Own.!

Your in the OC so stroll on over to J&J Armory and get the scoop...

If you want an AR15 it has to have an off list reciever, a bullet button, and a 10 round magazine..If not , your under arrest for having a assault weapon.

I built my own AR and once I moved out of Commifornia I removed my bullet button, bought some 30 rd mags and shot to my hearts content.

So IMHO I would go with the Ruger Mini 14 in 223. This gun is fun to shoot and has a bunch of aftermarket stuff you can add...If you get bold, build yourself a Commifornia compilaint AR..
Old 11-06-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ifshinxs
Hey, So Cal tay12.

Here's your problem..You live in COMMIFORNIA..The land of Liberal fruits and nuts.

You are VERY limited on what you can Own.!

Your in the OC so stroll on over to J&J Armory and get the scoop...

If you want an AR15 it has to have an off list reciever, a bullet button, and a 10 round magazine..If not , your under arrest for having a assault weapon.

I built my own AR and once I moved out of Commifornia I removed my bullet button, bought some 30 rd mags and shot to my hearts content.

So IMHO I would go with the Ruger Mini 14 in 223. This gun is fun to shoot and has a bunch of aftermarket stuff you can add...If you get bold, build yourself a Commifornia compilaint AR..
That's what I was sayin' earlier!!!

Ruger Mini 14..... IS .....the way to go!!!

I've got one & it rocks!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

that's a rifle you can't go wrong with. I may actually prefer the mini over the ar.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard that Spetsnaz were big fans of the Saiga semi-auto 12 ga. shotgun. Probably not what you're looking for, but if Saiga is good enough for them, they're good enough for me. I'd trust their AK's.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKWillie
That's what I was sayin' earlier!!!

Ruger Mini 14..... IS .....the way to go!!!

I've got one & it rocks!!!
I agree the mini 14 is a nice rifle, I have a tactical model with an ATI stock in .223, and it's fun to shoot, but then again the OP has a budget and any mini 14 is most likely goint to go over budget. as well as the cost of the .223 ammo
I'm telling you, check out the high point 995TS. You may say it's a cheap rifle, but I'm saying it's an inexpensive rifle, very well built with a lifetime guarantee. All parts made in the US using US materals. Will most likely meet Calif. fruit and nut laws cause it only has a 10 rd mag.
It's a fun to shoot weapon, with very little kick, and is accurate to at least 50 yds for plinking with iron sites.
I have two. Paid $230 each. On one I added a Barska 1X 50mm Red dot from Buds Gun Shop for 19.95 and a Sig tactical LED with strobe at 200.00 to make it a nice HD weapon. So I've got a total of 450.00 in the one. The other is stock. I've already put about 500 rounds through the modified and at 75yds I'm grouping 5 at 2", with no failures at all.

Name:	DSCN5463.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	33041

Name:	DSCN5464.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	33042
I can't say enough about these HighPoints.
The .40 cals are beginning to show up, but hard to get, cause as soon as they arive, they are gone. The .45 cal is due sometime after the new year, at least in this area, and I've already got my name at 3 different shops.
This is a great carbine at only 32" long and a weight of 7lbs, it's very easy to handle. Flame if you want but before you do go find someone who has one and shoot it.
In addition the .223 in 500 round bulk Ultramax is about 190.00.
The 9mm in 600 round bulk is 175.00

Quick Reply: A few questions on deciding on a rifle